TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S refresh

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Bluejuice, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bluejuice

Bluejuice Member

Anyone have any idea when the next update to the Model S will be? I'm guessing it won't be anything major, but maybe some changes to the interior? My guess is there will be an update about the same time of the Model 3 unveiling. Trying to decide when I should take the plunge. I'm in no hurry other than making sure I buy it before the tax credits start getting phased out. Thanks!

2. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

It won't be a major update for a while. They just refreshed the car's about 1 year ago and it still looks good (Even the "Older" Car's look more modern than some 2017 car's on the market now). But when it comes be expecting an interior refresh too.:D

• Disagree x 1
  3. msnow

msnow Active Member

No matter when you buy it you can be sure something new will come out a few months later.

• Helpful x 1
  4. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I would think that right now Tesla's focus is Model 3. Literally everyone at Tesla other than production, is probably focused on Model 3, and improving Model 3 production.

If I was Elon I would also be seriously focused on how to keep Tesla sales healthy after the EV tax credits expire (probably next year). This would mean both lowering cost and adding some new doodads.

So random guess for next refresh (most likely not exterior) ~ probably end of this year, or maybe early next year. Of course no insider info here, and really no way to be sure. Tesla is probably more secretive than even Apple.

5. Chavo60

Chavo60 Member

I don't think they're really focusing much on the S right now. Any changes would have been made while they shut the factory line down for a week. They made a few minor changes that week but nothing drastic.

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Next major refresh will probably be a year or two after the 3 hits major production, as the S will be getting pretty long in the tooth by then.

Based on recent history Tesla will announce something pretty soon to drive this quarter's sales. Probably something on the low end considering they've just updated the high end configs, maybe kick the 75 up to 85.

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Considering Musk's statement that the Model 3 won't be as advanced as the Model S, I think Tesla needs to hurry up with its Model S update or risk its flagship looking long-in-the-tooth compared to the Model 3. I mean, for goodness sakes, the Model S doesn't even have coat hooks or door pockets or lighted vanity mirrors! In this regard, the Model 3 will likely mop the floor with the S.

Imagine all the new jokes we are going to hear about Model S not having the basics...

• Like x 1
  8. cizUK

cizUK Member

When do you reckon they will do a complete redesign of the Model S & X? (i.e. to include new batteries etc.)
    New batteries will require a complete new car

9. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

I just received an update last week to my MS. If you are waiting for coat hooks or some other gewgaws to make your decision you have clearly not taken a test drive (paraphrasing Capt Jack Sparrow when he says: "Clearly ,you have never been to Singapore").
    The car has no peer; the sooner you buy one the sooner you can start enjoying the thrill of driving it. Take the plunge. There will alway be something new and something changing "just around the corner". I think Elon says "soon" and that in Tesla Time is open ended.

10. Bluejuice

Bluejuice Member

I have test driven the car which is the reason I want one! Never would have considered spending $100,000 for a car until I test drove it. I also have a day one reservation for the Model 3. In light of Elon's latest comments and the fact I would like a bigger car I am leaning towards the Model S. Having said that, as I mentioned earlier I am in no huge hurry. I can wait until the end of 2017 before I pull the trigger. That's why I thought I'd solicit some opinions on when there might be an update to the S.

11. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

they way I understand it, unlike traditional model year updates, they do incremental updates as parts get qualified for production (starting with parking sensors, then auto folding mirrors..) so it's really hard to time the next major release. i doubt the fascia change was done for the refreshed look, more likely to protect the new ap2 sensors, they don't shut down the production lines except for major retooling (modelx, model3) so i wouldn't use those as indicators either.

now, with AP2 mostly fleshed out would probably be the most optimal time for an S.

• Love x 1
  12. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

Hope tesla improves its interior quality. It's not good now.

• Like x 1