TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S required hard reset

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by TTT, Nov 9, 2014.

1. TTT

TTT Member

I had a scare this morning, hopped in for a drive and found the dash and 17" screen were blank. I haven't even made my first payment and the car was bricked? I tried the soft resets, held down the scroll wheels for 30 seconds and also tried holding down the two top buttons above the scroll wheels. Pressing on the brakes only turned on the front headlights and nothing else. Called the Tesla Worldwide Service number and he had me try the soft resets again. He ended up connecting me with the SC and the SC had me do a hard reset (he did offer to send someone out on a Sunday, but I had to get someplace and was going to use my ICE). Without getting into much detail, the hard reset worked and after doing so, the SC was able to connect to my car and download the logs to figure out what happened. Kudos for the support, took all of 15 minutes. Now I know how to do a hard reset and manually open the Frunk.
    The SC recommends keeping the energy savings on nightly, this will reboot your car every night so the different modules don't get out of sync (which may have led to the issue I encountered) and check the Always Connected box that is available with 6.0

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

"Bricked" seems a little dramatic for your experience - that has to do with a ruined & unrecoverable battery. It sounds like you had an issue that a software reboot resolved.

3. TTT

TTT Member

Didn't seem dramtic at the time, got you to read this anyway

4. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I think the more accurate description would be "New MS had a blue screen moment."

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The only problem is that "aways connected" has a bad vampire drain.

6. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

How do you do a hard reset?

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Yeah - we're not big on 'click bait' headlines here on TMC. Do you have an alternate name for the thread? I'll update.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderator note: Updated thread title from 'MS Bricked?' to 'MS Required Hard Reset'

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would also like to know how to do a hard reset.

Thanks.

9. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

You have to pull the yellow fuse from the left most box (there are two fuse boxes) pull it out wait 30 seconds put it back in and that's a hard reset.

10. franknesss

franknesss Member

Do all your settings go away, like Homelink, memory seats, etc... I would assume it does.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I don't think so. Most are stored in nonvolatile memory. There might be some loss, but it wouldn't be all.

12. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I'm curious about the hard reset thing as well...

When my center screen was replaced earlier, I lost driver profiles, most settings in the "Settings" tab, and bluetooth pairings. Media favs, web bookmarks, nav places (recent chargers, favs, etc), and everything else seemed to remain.

13. rlang59

rlang59 Member

That's because the center screen is a computer not just a screen. All of those settings are stored in the non volatile memory in that computer.

14. TTT

TTT Member

That's correct, I didn't lose any of my customuzation with the hard reset

15. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

How was this reset performed?

16. franknesss

franknesss Member

Here's how to do it.

17. zhur0002

zhur0002 Member

Would disconnecting the 12v bat perform a hard reset?

I wonder if pulling that fuse will make my "Vehicle Needs service car may not restart" message go away and wake my car up.

18. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I will say that I had my girl in for some air suspension fixes and when it came back all my driver profiles were messed up. They were all there, but did not move to where I had set them. Reverse side mirror setting were all lost and have taken some time to reset. Still not back where I would like them. Not sure if this has anything to do with a hard reset, but thought I would share. I have never pulled that fuse.