Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Holder Demographics: Age

How old are you?

• < 25

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 25 - 34

Votes: 53 21.9%
  • 35 - 44

Votes: 86 35.5%
  • 45 - 54

Votes: 57 23.6%
  • 55 - 64

Votes: 29 12.0%
  • 65 +

Votes: 11 4.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I turned 40 this year I told my wife that I wanted a luxury car. Originally I was looking at an Mercedes E or BMW 550, or because we have always been a Honda/Acura house, an Acura RL. What finally got me on the Model S was the rear kids seats (we have 4 kids under 7).
I am really hoping that I get my Model S before I turn 42 (Feb 2013) because my reservation # is 5748.

You should get the Model X! More functionality than a minivan and cooler than any SUV!

I am really hoping that I get my Model S before I turn 42 (Feb 2013) because my reservation # is 5748.
I'm betting that it'll be close, but likely. Ahead of you are: 1,200 North American Signatures, 270 "R" cars, and not more than 5747 US "P"s, and some portion of the 244 Canadian "P"s, for a total of 7,461. If there's been 10% attrition in the "P" queue, that's down to 6,862 ahead of you. Target production in 2012 is ~5,000, and if the factory is ramped to 20,000/year by January 2013, it's putting out 1,667/month. That would put your car into the early February production. And since you live ~40 miles from the factory, you should be able to pick it up directly, avoiding delivery delays!

Ahead of you are: 1,200 North American Signatures, 270 "R" cars, and not more than 5747 US "P"s, and some portion of the 244 Canadian "P"s, for a total of 7,461. If there's been 10% attrition in the "P" queue, that's down to 6,862 ahead of you. Target production in 2012 is ~5,000, and if the factory is ramped to 20,000/year by January 2013, it's putting out 1,667/month.

What most people forget in all of this is the Founder's series of cars made for investors, VIPs and employees. As diligent as the forum has been in tracking the reservations, no one outside of Tesla really has a grasp of how big the Founder's list is. Is it 20? Is it 50? Is it 100? Who knows?

Getting a bit off track here, but when one of the supposed benefits of getting a Sig is touted to be it might be a collector's item one day, no one factors in that the true holy grail for a collector Model S probably would be the Founder's series.

Also wondering if the Founder's series has a premium price put on it like the Sig or even above and beyond a Sig.

At P2840, I'm figuring December. 5000 made: 1000 Sigs and P2839 in front of me and the founders/roadsters cars, plus whatever non-US cars get produced (when does Canada start getting cars?).

I'm assuming December will be full speed production or about ~1650/month, so the odds seem to favor mine being in the December bunch. I was S354, which presumably would have been September if they start shipping July 31st and start with a pretty slow ramp up in the first month.

(when does Canada start getting cars?).

They have stated three months after start of production.

That time is required for Canadian standards certification. Vehicle standards are largely harmonized between the two countries, with some exceptions, but the paperwork format is completely different. So they have to prepare the paperwork, submit it, and wait for the Canadian authorities to approve it. Hopefully there won't be any delays...

There are a few minor differences between US and Canadian cars, but as far as I can tell for the Model S it will be just firmware settings. They have to lock the daytime running lights on. The immobilizer requirement will be covered off by the key fob system. The speedometer/odometer is "virtual" so kilometers/miles is no big deal. Oh, and they have to translate the manual into French if they want to sell in Quebec.

Oh, and they have to translate the manual into French if they want to sell in Quebec.

Yeah, they have a whole big batch of translations that need to be done... And one advantage of the dynamic interfaces is that they'll be able to provide an unprecedented level of localization on the dashboard compared to other cars. Hope they take advantage of this...

I'm expecting that the touchscreen will support a large number of languages--once you build in the legally required ability to use multiple languages, it's pretty cheap to tack on a longer list of languages.

Ehum... "cheap" it is not... (Or rather, it can be, but then you are being penny wise and pound foolish.) But it's definitely more possible than for vehicles with static displays.

Sorry to call you out on that, but this happens to be an area that is within my expertise (yes, finally :). Many companies try to save on localization and it ends up costing them multiple times what a decent effort would have been in the end. Don't do this...

Ehum... "cheap" it is not... (Or rather, it can be, but then you are being penny wise and pound foolish.) But it's definitely more possible than for vehicles with static displays.

Sorry to call you out on that, but this happens to be an area that is within my expertise (yes, finally :). Many companies try to save on localization and it ends up costing them multiple times what a decent effort would have been in the end. Don't do this...
I think he meant the technical side of it is relatively cheap, and it scales well (you pay the cost as a fixed amount per language, rather than per vehicle produced).

Too old to drive, needs to be after 65+ !!

TooOldToDrv.jpg