Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S reservation holders: What is your top concern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the biggest problem seems to be the value proposition. I'm starting to see the idea of "no compromise" seems to be pure marketing hype.
My problems as it stands now is, lack of tow hitch, manually folding mirrors!, no storage in the interior as the major issues. If I should follow Tesla's scandinavian sales representative and his price estimates this car will simply be too expensive for what it does offer. I do not know of course but as most Europeans seeing the interior you might be surprised what kind of interiors you get in Hyundais if you opt for a package slightly above base level. Until we know the price here in Norway it's impossible to say for sure of course.
The things Tesla has managed to solve from my earlier concerns though is 3-phase charging, usable ground clearance, slightly narrower body and still a very good looking exterior.

So it all boils down to price the way I see it.

Cobos

For me the biggest concern is definately charging away from home. I want to take it on long trips, but all our regular charge points are 16A 230V, or 3.7kW. Way too slow for an overnight charge. We do however also have a lot of CHAdeMO chargers. So before I order I either need a committment to CHAdeMO support (adapter or, even better, a built-in port) or a lot of Tesla SuperChargers put up around the country.

If neither, I'll just keep the Leaf as it then would be the better long-distance car.

I'm concerned about the new kid on the block getting trashed in the media because of price, fit/finish issues, ergonomics which are totally subjective, and subdivided interests. It can affect the ability of this car company to take off and even potentially affect the release of the Model X and Bluestar and it's subsequent success.

Top concern:- The Interior dash design.

Let me start off by saying I really want a Model S, but I am increasingly concerned about the reaction to the interior design. Its probably set in stone now, so any big design changes based on buyer/press reaction wont be possible until Model X, or Model S Mk2 4WD etc.

The driver display pod and central area around the rectangular screen seem to be really jarring my eye due to the miss mash of irregular shapes, lines and material choices around what looks like a laptop jammed into the central dash.

Once initial sales to EV evangelists are out the way, Tesla will have to appeal to more conventional $85k car buyers to maintain sales momentum, and those buyers will be comparing the interior to contemporary standards set by Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, and possibly Aston Martin and Bentley. I suspect many potential buyers will turn their nose up at the S for its interior, despite the amazing tech underneath and the exquisite exterior. This might dampen sales prospects beyond the initial EV buyers. I guess Tesla could radically improve the interior for the Model X or a possibly a Model S Mk2 4WD...

When using a Model S, the driver will be inside it 99% of the time, and the interior has to be easy on the eye. If it was me demonstrating my car, I'd want my passengers to leave the car feeling like they've just had a "wow" experience due to its EV abilities … and a lush hi-tech interior, but I just don’t think that’s going to happen with the current interior dash design. I also fear that the press reaction might get hung up on the interior layout to Tesla's future detriment.

My biggest concern is that I'll live to see it! I learned last night that I won't be getting it until September. That's much later than I expected when I put my money down 3 years ago. I'm disappointed that it will apparently take 3 months to get through all of the Signatures. I thought I'd probably be in the same month. I probably would have gone with the Sig at the time I put my money down if I knew it would save me 3 months. I have some other concerns based on the "batching" of cars that has been described at Santana Row. Could this delay me even longer?

Obviously I have general concern about date slippage. TM has been very careful about not committing to things, so in that sense it is good. But they have missed a couple of commitments already:

1) Delivery starting late 2011
2) Delivery starting 1Q2012

I also sense that they are about to miss the commitment on the website for one or more of the "coming this winter" promises in the design studio. They could still prove me wrong on that; they have 4 days to get all three of those working for both Signature and non-Signature. I also think they failed their commitment for 0-60 in 5.6 for $49.9k. I still have brochures that say that. It won't impact me, because I am getting 85kw (partially because I don't want to wait yet an additional 6 months to get the vehicle).

I know it's a long wait but hang in there. I'll have waited 3 years 3 months as well before delivery. The did promise late 2011 in the beginning but I believe it was pushed back to summer 2012 about a year later. I don't remember them ever saying first quarter 2012 but might have missed that. Anyway, you're a very early production number so no long to wait. You may want them to take their time through the signatures and work out any problems before getting to your car.

Last edited:
My primary concern about the Model S used to be that it was too big for my tastes.
After having the Prius force us to choose between the baby stroller and other items many times over the last few months - this no longer concerns me.

My primary concern now is that I won't like the appearance of the aerodynamic wheels, but if I don't get them I will be tormented by their superior efficiency. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Everybody's different.

I'll vote for the charging away from home concern. I really want this to be replace my main car (2004 Prius) but I can't do that unless I can drive 600 to 700 miles in a day and not have to stop four hours twice to charge (I reckon that the 85 kW pack is good for a reliable 200 miles). And I'm not in California. Stopping twice for 30 to 45 minutes would be fine.

I'll vote for the charging away from home concern. I really want this to be replace my main car (2004 Prius) but I can't do that unless I can drive 600 to 700 miles in a day and not have to stop four hours twice to charge (I reckon that the 85 kW pack is good for a reliable 200 miles). And I'm not in California. Stopping twice for 30 to 45 minutes would be fine.

This will likely not be possible for a few years depending on where you live and how extensive Tesla's Supercharger network is but hopefully it'll happen soon.

The truth hurts my friend and tell me who will inform the public of issues Tesla NOT

[The truth hurts my friend and tell me who will inform the public of issues Tesla NOTQUOTE=spatterso911;122382]I'm concerned about the new kid on the block getting trashed in the media because of price, fit/finish issues, ergonomics which are totally subjective, and subdivided interests. It can affect the ability of this car company to take off and even potentially affect the release of the Model X and Bluestar and it's subsequent success.[/QUOTE]

2 years here and you surface for those gems?

Sure, you could out the 5k in a savings account and earn whatever, but for others who really want this car, it made sense to put their money where their mouth is. Tesla would've stood no chance if everyone stood on the sidelines saying they wanted one but couldn't commit (especially because they couldn't earn interest on their refundable deposit).

My big concern is that my house will get raided by drug enforcement since my electric usage will go up significantly after I get the car. They'll see the spike, and they'll probably think I'm growing alot of illegal plants not charging an EV :)
Guess I'll have to inform PG&E when I get the car

My next biggest concern would be battery life. I expect it to last at least 10 years, I don't plan on abusing it or even touching any quick charging stations so it should last that long or longer

My next biggest concern would be battery life. I expect it to last at least 10 years, I don't plan on abusing it or even touching any quick charging stations so it should last that long or longer

Based on the Roadster experience here, I don't think that's going to be a big concern--especially if you get the 85 kW battery pack.

My big concern is that my house will get raided by drug enforcement since my electric usage will go up significantly after I get the car. They'll see the spike, and they'll probably think I'm growing alot of illegal plants not charging an EV :)
Guess I'll have to inform PG&E when I get the car

I believe PG&E in CA gives you a break on electricity rates if you get an EV. One way they promote EVs over here.

There's a thread that discusses Tesla Motor's biggest flaw/challenges, and shares a lot of people's concerns with Tesla as a company.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7724-What-is-Tesla-Motors-biggest-flaw-challenge

So I do think that the biggest concern is whether Tesla can grow as a business and turn a profit. If they fail to do so, this concerns me that we'd lose support for our Model S's.

But my primary concern about the car itself, and my purchase, is the interior. I'm disappointed that there won't be a true light colored interior (only two-tone), that is lacks door pockets, lacks even the slightest center console storage, and by the quality of it.

[The truth hurts my friend and tell me who will inform the public of issues Tesla
I'm not speaking about realistic viewpoints based upon objective data regarding the quality or the performance of the car. Subjective viewpoints regarding whether the center console stays or goes...is effective design or not...practicality of sliding door handles...piping on seats...door chrome strips...

We muse about these elements daily, but in the automotive press world, it can take up 3/4 of the article discussing how they couldn't stash their quarters, yet they mention briefly how luscious the torque feel of the car was.

Also please be aware that the press is not entirely involved in presenting the TRUTH...

Investing in this car is investing in Tesla, and bad reviews can affect that investment. Ask Henrik Fisker...

By the time I get mine (P4786) I think we will know about the quality and initial problems. My concern is the long term durability of the car and the convenience of service. Now most manufacturers have dealerships 10-15 minutes from our home. We are about 45 minutes each way from the Newport Beach store. So it is a 90 minute trip to drop off the car and 90 minutes to pick it up. If it is as reliable as predicted, then once a year is not too bad. If Tesla grows, there will be more locations. If they don't who knows. If they are bought out or absorbed by one of the big manufacturers, it could improve the situation.

Most likely EV cars will rapidly improve over the next few years. Four or five years from now will I still want the 2012 model S? We will see how it all plays out. The rational side of me see the downside, however I am too intrigued by Tesla to pass on this car.

By the time I get mine (P4786) I think we will know about the quality and initial problems. My concern is the long term durability of the car

Based on the comments in the Roadster section, I'm not concerned about durability--that seems to be fine.

and the convenience of service.

The Rangers come to your home or office. It can't get more convenient than that.

Now most manufacturers have dealerships 10-15 minutes from our home.

That's actually the worst thing about the Prius. The dealers do an exceptionally poor job of servicing. They overfill the oil. Their alignments are worse than when you got there. They don't get the air out of the cooling system when changing. They send the car to the back and who knows who's working on it. Some high school kid, an illegal? I had on Prius certified mechanic who didn't know how to start the Prius.

Prius ownership can be summed up in this phrase: 'The dealers are as bad as the car is good." I am hoping for a much better experience with the Tesla.

however I am too intrigued by Tesla to pass on this car.

Totally in agreement there.