Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S reservation holders: What is your top concern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a reservation holder. I wish I was but no.

I am building a start-up company and must watch expenses. But I will have to replace my car in a year or two and it will only be a Tesla. I love the X.

I am also a shareholder, I hope the profits will buy me a Tesla in a year or two. I am not selling and enjoying the moment.

Cheers to Tesla, SpaceX and Solar City. I will make sure to buy on Elon's next two IPO's

Elon inspired my new business.

I think I echo many here when I say that my biggest concern is the interior.

There are several elements to that concern:

• Fit and finish. I only have brief seat time in a Roadster, so my exposure to Tesla's fit and finish is extremely limited. The Roadster seems fine but did have the prevailing air of "after-market." Obviously the Model S should eschew that feeling, but in its place will be concerns about the quality of the materials. For example, none of the photos I've seen to date inspire confidence in the long-term durability of the leather. Real-world photos of Alphas and Betas show an unusually high degree of patina and lack of tautness. Obviously these early cars get used and abused by a variety of driver types and a real driver should expect better. I absolutely baby my cars' interiors--dusting, vacuuming, and conditioning the leather regularly. So I assume the leather will endure well enough, but I nevertheless cringe when I see the leather in photos to date.
  • Design (ignoring the media console for the moment). Again, speaking of the seats, as I've said elsewhere, the seats look to have insufficient side bolsters and an unconventional headrest that I can't say I like. They don't seem "beefy" enough for a luxury vehicle; and on the other hand, they don't look like they will fit snugly enough for a sport sedan. I absolutely do not want to slide around while taking turns.
  • Media console design and how it will age. Again, as with the above, I've said this elsewhere. We are on the cusp of some great developments in display technology and the Model S' display will feel antiquated much more quickly than a conventional car's user interface. Don't get me wrong; I think this is the right way to go. But unlike my PC, I can't replace the monitor when a better model is available. Consider resolution. Aside from hearing that it is "high resolution," has Telsa specifically cited the resolution? I suspect it's no better than a 17" computer monitor (say, 960x1440 or thereabouts). That is not "high resolution" in my opinion. That's normal resolution. The iPhone 4 and more recently the iPad 3 have dropped the proverbial gauntlet on high-resolution. Anyone using those words who doesn't match that pixel density is being disingenuous. Furthermore, we are also on the cusp of larger OLED displays. I worry that in 2 or 3-years' time the Model S' monitor will look antiquated in just about every conceivable way. It will look chunky, low-resolution, dark, and (worst of all in my book) highly reflective to glare.
  • User interface responsiveness. To date, the user interface has been demonstrated to be slow. To be clear, a user interface must respond before I can even sense that it didn't respond immediately. (Around 0.1sec.) Videos to-date have shown that Tesla incorporated a visual "pulse" graphic that indicates to the user, "I've received your input at this screen coordinate, give me a moment to comply." And that is helpful. But the ideal is to not even need that because the desired action occurs just as quickly as the pulse graphic does now.
  • And then there's the general concern of the suitability of a touch-screen interface for such a totality of function control. My recent experience with touch-screen devices (iPhone 1, iPhone 3, Android 2.2 phone, Android 4.0 phone, Nook 1.0, Kindle Touch, and more) is a mixed bag. A critical mistake repeated by so many designers of touch user interfaces is this sad hubris: removing all hard buttons. The Kindle Touch is the most egregious demonstration of this--omitting hard buttons for next and previous page is the most glaring design error in the entire history of the Kindle product line. I worry that the routine Model S experience will become haunted by every-day operations that have been made to require unnecessary concentration and precision because they have been shoehorned into a touch-screen interface. I don't know what those specific operations will be, but I can take a guess at one: opening the sunroof. Consider you are driving and want to open the sunroof. Here is option A: "I'll reach up and push the rocker switch." And option B: "Oh, forget it, I can't take my eyes off the road long enough." I like the glamor of an on-screen user interface for controlling the sunroof and don't think it should be removed; but I worry that key redundant hard buttons will be sacrificed at the altar of touch-screen purism.

Lots of items to discuss here...

• Fit and finish - Since we have only been exposed to betas, we can't really determine the fit/finish qualities of the car. I am hopeful that it meets or exceeds what we see on higher end sedans like M-B, BMW, and Audi, but only time will tell. I believe it will be far more integrated in appearance than the roadster, since it has been developed from vehicle inception.

• Design - Leather in the Model S is Nappa leather, which is very durable and provided you use proper cleaners/conditioners should hold up quite well to elements and daily wear. That said, it's nigh impossible to prevent creasing and stretching in most soft leathers like Nappa without meticulous owner care.

• Media console - The resolution is 1920 x 1200 pixels

(source = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKrVajjThg )

which should be more than adequate for future uses and exceeds current high definition requirements. No one will be doing 4K resolution screens in automobiles in the next 10-12 years. OLED is far too expensive to make an automotive solution for without pricing the car out of reach. The lighting is sourced from the car batteries so it has much better energy available than on a laptop, so the brightness far exceeds that of laptop screen. This is pointed out frequently by Elon as a side benefit to his screen tech being in an EV. The monitor fails, however, on glare and fingerprint retention, and I am hoping some kind of matte finish or oleophobic substance is used. Matte finishes can always be applied by an aftermarket supplier (profit opportunities anyone??) just like with any cell phone or tablet.

• User interface responsiveness - This is software dependent, and in many of the beta examples, was not well executed, but in the videos provided by our esteemed forum members who attended the San Jose event, the responsiveness was very crisp/brisk and seemed pretty robust/reliable. Poor performance is just an update away. This thing is driven by a Tegra 3 processor, which is quad core and has more than enough processing power to drive the display. The display in the instrument panel is powered by it's own Tegra 3 processor as well, with ethernet communication between both processors so that they can share display information. Having the visual pulse and having brisk/robust responses is ideal. Even better IMHO would be to have a slight audible tone as well, but that is highly subjective.

• Touch-screen control - This is hotly debated, and my response is that the steering wheel has tactile controls and control/scroll wheels for control. How well this is integrated to the touchscreen to control functions without touching the panel is anybody's guess. It has not been demonstrated to my knowledge. But it was discussed by Elon in a prior video as a way to duplicate many of the controls of the touchscreen, so you have a fallback system that maintains safe driving habits once you conquer the learning curve required to master it. In my personal experience, voice control is one of the most underutilized features of modern cars, yet it does allow the driver to preserve line of sight on the road while managing some task in the car. For instance I have a friend who only recently discovered that they could use voice commands to program navigation and operate the radio. they have had the car for 4 years already! If people would spend more time mastering this feature, there would be less gripe about ergonomics of the instrument panel.

Fit and finish - Since we have only been exposed to betas, we can't really determine the fit/finish qualities of the car. I am hopeful that it meets or exceeds what we see on higher end sedans like M-B, BMW, and Audi, but only time will tell. I believe it will be far more integrated in appearance than the roadster, since it has been developed from vehicle inception.

I agree: I am hopeful that the fit and finish will rival its direct competition. Admittedly, I was too absorbed in taking in other aspects of the brief drive at the Beta event in San Jose, so I didn't really pay sufficient attention to the quality of the materials first-hand when I had a chance.

Nevertheless it has me worried because so far, all I have is this hope that it will be better than what we've seen to-date.

Design - Leather in the Model S is Nappa leather, which is very durable and provided you use proper cleaners/conditioners should hold up quite well to elements and daily wear. That said, it's nigh impossible to prevent creasing and stretching in most soft leathers like Nappa without meticulous owner care.

Of course leather develops a natural patina with use. What has me worried are signs of a patina appearing "too quickly." I put that in quotes because I honestly have no idea how much seat time these cars have seen. For all I know, they are subjected to non-stop brutal use. But assuming they see a couple hours a day of seat time, the wear and tear seems disproportionate.

I wish I could easily find some decent non-press photos of the seats to confirm my memory of this. I don't dismiss the possibility that my worry has been unreasonably magnified by bad memory.

Media console - The resolution is 1920 x 1200 pixels

(source = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKrVajjThg )

which should be more than adequate for future uses and exceeds current high definition requirements. No one will be doing 4K resolution screens in automobiles in the next 10-12 years. OLED is far too expensive to make an automotive solution for without pricing the car out of reach. The lighting is sourced from the car batteries so it has much better energy available than on a laptop, so the brightness far exceeds that of laptop screen. This is pointed out frequently by Elon as a side benefit to his screen tech being in an EV. The monitor fails, however, on glare and fingerprint retention, and I am hoping some kind of matte finish or oleophobic substance is used. Matte finishes can always be applied by an aftermarket supplier (profit opportunities anyone??) just like with any cell phone or tablet.

On this one, I don't agree. I've always found the phrase "high definition" to be a disappointing vagary thrown about by marketers.

Indeed, today, OLED would be too expensive to manufacture at 17". Indeed, today, no one is making displays with over 200dpi at 17" for less than tens of thousands of dollars. But in two or three years, who knows? I suspect I will replace my current desktop monitor (2560x1600) with a 4k monitor in a couple years' time. What can I say? I love pixels. My worry is that there's no such "upgrade" path for the Model S' multimedia hardware.

Let me reiterate: there's nothing Tesla should or really could do about this. I'm just saying it's a little worrisome to know that the interior will look dated in 3 years' time simply because we are more forcefully pushing automotive interiors into the timescales of computer hardware.

To a lesser extent, the LCD screen in my wife's Acura TL demonstrates this point. The navigation system looks positively obsolete next to her Galaxy Nexus phone. The Acura's screen is probably roughly 800x600 at 7 or 8 inches and comparatively dim at maximum brightness (again, when compared side-by-side with the Nexus' OLED screen). At least it has a matte surface, though, so it's not reflective.

Perhaps some day, there will be a resurgence of after-market upgrade options thanks to this progression of the interior having so much in common with traditional computer hardware. I just don't have any illusions the Model S will enjoy that sort of thing during the span in which I will own the vehicle.

User interface responsiveness - This is software dependent, and in many of the beta examples, was not well executed, but in the videos provided by our esteemed forum members who attended the San Jose event, the responsiveness was very crisp/brisk and seemed pretty robust/reliable. Poor performance is just an update away. This thing is driven by a Tegra 3 processor, which is quad core and has more than enough processing power to drive the display. The display in the instrument panel is powered by it's own Tegra 3 processor as well, with ethernet communication between both processors so that they can share display information. Having the visual pulse and having brisk/robust responses is ideal. Even better IMHO would be to have a slight audible tone as well, but that is highly subjective.

I certainly hope that I am pleasantly surprised by a smooth, responsive user interface. I was at the San Jose event but didn't take any video. I remember feeling that the UI seemed a little sluggish. Let me clarify something: a little sluggish on day 1 is fine. A little sluggish on day 300 could become infuriating. The more times I have to deal with a frustrating half-second pause, the less I tolerate it. So I have learned to realize that if my instinct is to rate a UI as, "Eh, could be better, but not bad," I need to consider what it will be like a year down the road.

When I first got my Motorola Droid 1, I thought, "This is okay; I can deal with this." A year later (and admittedly one OS upgrade later), I was cursing it for being unresponsive. It's laughably slow with Android 2.3.

Touch-screen control - This is hotly debated, and my response is that the steering wheel has tactile controls and control/scroll wheels for control. How well this is integrated to the touchscreen to control functions without touching the panel is anybody's guess. It has not been demonstrated to my knowledge. But it was discussed by Elon in a prior video as a way to duplicate many of the controls of the touchscreen, so you have a fallback system that maintains safe driving habits once you conquer the learning curve required to master it. In my personal experience, voice control is one of the most underutilized features of modern cars, yet it does allow the driver to preserve line of sight on the road while managing some task in the car. For instance I have a friend who only recently discovered that they could use voice commands to program navigation and operate the radio. they have had the car for 4 years already! If people would spend more time mastering this feature, there would be less gripe about ergonomics of the instrument panel.

You're right that several functions have been given alternative inputs via steering wheel controls and otherwise. My point was that I worry that there will be one, two, or possibly several routine functions that the designers didn't realize should have redundant inputs. I have this nagging feeling that I will come to dread the need to navigate some sequence of touch-screen menus to do something routine and tedious.

We have an AT&T U-Verse subscription in our house. When my wife and I want to toggle the state of closed captioning, the UI requires something on the order of 12 button presses because (although the remote has several unused buttons), the designers didn't see it fit to map that to a button.

User interface designers make mistakes. So I worry about that with the Model S especially since so many things that would traditionally be controlled by hard buttons will have those hard buttons deleted. A mistake with a hard button just means I may need to reach a little further. A mistake with a touch screen could mean I find myself spending valuable seconds clicking through menus.

Whew.

Reading this over, I fear one could think I am a bitter critic. To clarify, then: I am desperately waiting for my Model S. I simply was sharing the worries I've had since the OP asked. :)

Of course leather develops a natural patina with use. What has me worried are signs of a patina appearing "too quickly." I put that in quotes because I honestly have no idea how much seat time these cars have seen. For all I know, they are subjected to non-stop brutal use. But assuming they see a couple hours a day of seat time, the wear and tear seems disproportionate.

At the factory event the betas ran for days with multiple people getting in and out of the car every minute or two. They've been roaming all over the country for static displays, and not just the USA, constantly being poked and prodded by hundreds of people, and it's not like any of them were taking particular care. Given that these are basically prototypes (especially the early betas) it's almost surprising they haven't disintegrated.

Indeed, today, OLED would be too expensive to manufacture at 17". Indeed, today, no one is making displays with over 200dpi at 17" for less than tens of thousands of dollars. But in two or three years, who knows? I suspect I will replace my current desktop monitor (2560x1600) with a 4k monitor in a couple years' time. What can I say? I love pixels. My worry is that there's no such "upgrade" path for the Model S' multimedia hardware.

Let me reiterate: there's nothing Tesla should or really could do about this. I'm just saying it's a little worrisome to know that the interior will look dated in 3 years' time simply because we are more forcefully pushing automotive interiors into the timescales of computer hardware.

I think that's a bit silly. People don't upgrade their cars like iPads, nor do they change as quickly. Plus if Tesla comes out with a major improvement to some of their tech, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered existing customers upgrades (for a price). They're doing that with the Roadster - and we've heard that a bunch of new things are coming. So if you really gotta have the latest...

I certainly hope that I am pleasantly surprised by a smooth, responsive user interface. I was at the San Jose event but didn't take any video. I remember feeling that the UI seemed a little sluggish. Let me clarify something: a little sluggish on day 1 is fine. A little sluggish on day 300 could become infuriating.

I'll make a prediction - over time as they do firmware upgrades the performance will get better. Why do I say that? If I'm rushing a software product to production, I'm more interested in functionality and reliability than optimum performance. For one thing, it's far, FAR easier to develop and debug single-threaded code than multi-threaded code. If they have taken that shortcut - and with their timeline I definitely would if I were in their shoes - then once they've had time to catch their breath they will probably go back and implement some pretty significant performance enhancements.

Concerns...

Not screen res, for sure. My current car, Audi a4, has about a 20x60 "screen" with about 56% dead pixels. :)

Range/charging? Nah... although I'm torn between a battery upgrade vs. getting other goodies. My wife's car is an ice that we'll use for the rare non-flight long trip.

Interior finish? Not me personally. Don't get me wrong the A4 has a really fantastic interior and I hope the Tesla is at least as nice, but its all about the electrons for me.

I guess I'm a bit concerned about the 77" width. I hate getting dinged, but then again I tend to mostly fear things that have already happened.

Tesla as a company going forward? Sure, I want Tesla, and electric cars, to be wildly successful and I want to see charging stations at my gym, the mall, walgreens, etc. I like Tesla and Elon and what they stand for so they get my money. I realize not everybody is like me. I do believe that the upside to electrics is great enough, and given Tesla's current position, that a few iterations from now it will be the real thing. Preachin' to the choir though I certainly am!

-Aron

At the factory event the betas ran for days with multiple people getting in and out of the car every minute or two. They've been roaming all over the country for static displays, and not just the USA, constantly being poked and prodded by hundreds of people, and it's not like any of them were taking particular care. Given that these are basically prototypes (especially the early betas) it's almost surprising they haven't disintegrated.

Like I said, I have no idea what they've been through. I do hope you're right and the leather proves high quality.

I think that's a bit silly. People don't upgrade their cars like iPads, nor do they change as quickly. Plus if Tesla comes out with a major improvement to some of their tech, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered existing customers upgrades (for a price). They're doing that with the Roadster - and we've heard that a bunch of new things are coming. So if you really gotta have the latest...

Well, that's a worthwhile point about the Roadsters seeing available upgrades over their lifespan. That's essentially what I described above as a suitable work-around.

That said, the point is precisely the one you make: people don't replace their cars as often as they replace computer equipment. While automotive interior design has always aged over time, the higher the technology in the interior, the more rapidly it will "age" and appear dated. I'm not saying this is an issue exclusive to Tesla, but the Model S is especially pushing the envelope by saying, 'We're going to put a flippin' 17" monitor in here, how do you like that?'

I love it! Today.

In 2015, I'll still enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. But when every other device in my life is cranking 200dpi displays, I'll have a tinge of frustration that I can't have the same in my car precisely because I don't replace my car as frequently as my computer monitor, my phone, my electronic toys.

The possibility of Tesla providing hardware upgrades after sale is enticing!

I reiterate: my wife drives an Acura TL from 4 years ago. We don't even use its in-car DVD-based navigation system any more. It's hopelessly antiquated alongside the monstrous capability of her Nexus Galaxy.

In 4 years' time, will my phone be more impressive than my Model S' entertainment system? Maybe. And that's my worry.

Yeah, firstworldproblems, right?

I'll make a prediction - over time as they do firmware upgrades the performance will get better. Why do I say that? If I'm rushing a software product to production, I'm more interested in functionality and reliability than optimum performance. For one thing, it's far, FAR easier to develop and debug single-threaded code than multi-threaded code. If they have taken that shortcut - and with their timeline I definitely would if I were in their shoes - then once they've had time to catch their breath they will probably go back and implement some pretty significant performance enhancements.

Very true. And you have exposure to Tesla's historic performance with software updates where I do not. So I value your insight here.

That said, in most other contexts, software updates are a mixed bag. Android 2.1 through 2.3 on my Droid 1 was a disaster. iOS upgrades on legacy hardware are depressing. When AT&T U-Verse delivered their "Phase 3" software, performance of our unit dropped like a brick (10-15 second delays for the guide or recorded programs menu to appear). Firefox 11 and 12 are faster than Firefox 3.5 in most contexts, but they have that garbage collection stuttering problem.

In my experience, platform software updates usually focus on new features and hardly ever performance tuning. Consider that Tesla will likely use a revised version of the Model S hardware in the Model X. They will feel the same pressures Google, Apple, and AT&T have felt to innovate on their latest platforms and concede that they can at-best provide Model S owners an "acceptable" user experience. Perhaps they will have a greater sympathy for their early adopters--owners of the Model S. Google had absolutely zero sympathy for Droid 1 owners.

Again, if they offer hardware upgrades for the Model S, I'd find that very interesting. Even at several thousand dollars, I'd be way more inclined to upgrade my Model S' interior system after 4 years than feel an itch to buy a new car because the technology in the new car is so much cooler.

Scaled downward, if I had been able to upgrade the processor and screen of my Droid 1 for, oh $25 (versus buying a $200 Nexus Galaxy)... it would have been a no brainer.

I'm not counting on it, but you have given me some hopeful thoughts there.

That said, the point is precisely the one you make: people don't replace their cars as often as they replace computer equipment. While automotive interior design has always aged over time, the higher the technology in the interior, the more rapidly it will "age" and appear dated. I'm not saying this is an issue exclusive to Tesla, but the Model S is especially pushing the envelope by saying, 'We're going to put a flippin' 17" monitor in here, how do you like that?'

I love it! Today.

In 2015, I'll still enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. But when every other device in my life is cranking 200dpi displays, I'll have a tinge of frustration that I can't have the same in my car precisely because I don't replace my car as frequently as my computer monitor, my phone, my electronic toys.

Every other device in your life has a different purpose and plan than the device installed in your car. A 1900x1200 display in a car is essentially unheard of and it will be more than a couple of years before any auto manufacturer has the verve to pull off what Tesla is trying to do here. Add to that a 17" screen with a sophisticated SoC (Tegra3) and the ability to have apps that transform the experience. Lexus, Mercedes and BMW have nice displays in their vehicles, but none will ever be able to provide the kind of complex and lush experience you can get with this Tesla concept without significantly changing their thought process. For one, they would have to switch to a capacitative display technology, then increase the screen size at the expense of their design ethos. At today's tech for those manufacturers, having a resistive touch screen is sufficient for most people and still gets the car sold as a hi-tech vehicle. Also, it is doubtful that the navigation systems, programming for controls, audio system or even the web browser could really take advantage of much more resolution than is being offered in this Tesla display.

I would be curious to know what specific use you would have for a display with greater resolution?

If I'm dissatisfied with the audio system in my Tesla, I will have hundreds of possible ways to improve the sound without changing the head unit.

I reiterate: my wife drives an Acura TL from 4 years ago. We don't even use its in-car DVD-based navigation system any more. It's hopelessly antiquated alongside the monstrous capability of her Nexus Galaxy.

In 4 years' time, will my phone be more impressive than my Model S' entertainment system? Maybe. And that's my worry.

Having owned a TL, and having seen Honda/Acura Navigation evolve (NOT!), it is light years behind Toyota, Nissan, BMW, and any of the big 3 auto makers. I'm not surprised that you find it antiquated. They really haven't focused on that side of automotive tech.

Again, if they offer hardware upgrades for the Model S, I'd find that very interesting. Even at several thousand dollars, I'd be way more inclined to upgrade my Model S' interior system after 4 years than feel an itch to buy a new car because the technology in the new car is so much cooler.

Scaled downward, if I had been able to upgrade the processor and screen of my Droid 1 for, oh $25 (versus buying a $200 Nexus Galaxy)... it would have been a no brainer.

I'm not counting on it, but you have given me some hopeful thoughts there.

I, for one, would be surprised if Tesla would even consider rebuilding people's cars to ensure that they never buy a newer vehicle. It's a business model that simply does not make sense. Tesla has evolved from a small manufacturer, hand building essentially a highly sophisticated yet revolutionary kit car, to making a shot at becoming a real competitor in the global automotive world. It has to change it's business model. In the old Tesla, roadster owners were a fixed commodity whose satisfaction was and still is paramount to the viability of the company. Investing in keeping the roadster owners happy is critical, and it appears that they have done that through building a very satisfying product and maintaining it carefully through allowing upgrades. In the new business model, they must sell vehicles. Model S owners are still a valuable commodity at this stage, but with the proposed volumes in sales, it would be extremely costly to upgrade and warranty those upgrades on someone who is dying to get the newest interior or hardware change. What if Tesla came out with a more powerful motor or inverter? Should they offer that as an upgrade too? We will all have some degree of buyer's remorse in a few years. I just hope that the one I buy still makes me look back one more time as I walk away after parking at the supermarket.

This is hardly worth worrying about. The 17" touchscreen in the Model S is so far advanced versus what's out there today in any other car that even 10 years from now it'll still seem more than adequate. And regardless, what are you going to do? You can't prevent this. This is a fact of life with technology.

Unless you're leasing a car, which you can't currently with the Model S, it's not as if you can just upgrade because you "feel an itch to buy a new car". People don't change cars like cell phones. It's not as if Tesla won't be making some money on these upgrades, but more importantly they keep you as a Tesla customer. This means more money made with maintenance and service, and you'll be that much more inclined to purchase another Tesla when you truly are ready to get a new car.

I think Tesla does have the opportunity to make a little cash before you buy your next Tesla hopefully. when '5G' data networks come out at some point, Tesla could potentially upgrade your car for a cost of course. Most people wouldn't buy an entirely new car just for a faster data connection so I don't think Tesla would be delaying sales of their next generation Model S.

I think Tesla does have the opportunity to make a little cash before you buy your next Tesla ....

There has been a lot of talk about how an electric car maker can make money with no servicing. --We will see if the Model S annual checkup is cheaper than the Roadster $600 a year. But offering upgrades like software versions could be a good money maker.

For sale 2012 Model S 1.0 with all six $120 upgrades to software version 2.8. Also all the free firmware upgrades have been done.

I'm seeing a lot of various concerns in different threads, mostly from people buying their first EV. So let's talk about it :). What is your top concern? I sure had some before purchasing my Roadster. I worried about where to charge, range (all a distant memory now, I've made the transition to EV owner).

Here, I'll get you started ... with the purchase of the Model S, are you most concerned about ...

So Bonnie. You asked the question, but never gave your own answer :) What are your concerns about the Model S? Even though you have the experience of being a Roadster owner, surely you have a few related to the Model S or with Tesla Motors.

Oh good question :). The list I originally posted were some of the things I worried about at the beginning. I worried where I'd charge when away from home. I worried about running out of range and being stranded. And I just worried about what it meant to own an EV. I wasn't looking for an EV to begin with (not that evolved - but fell crazy in love with the Roadster performance).

That was then. Now? Worries are gone. When I take delivery of the Model X, my garage will be 100% electric.

The change happened gradually. I started noticing how nice it was not to stop at gas stations, smog check, oil change centers. I noticed how much I hated sitting in traffic with exhaust spewing around me. I took a short trip that required relying on a charger away from home. (Overplanned that one, with multiple backup chargers identified.)

And then I took an approx 1300 mile roadtrip last summer. THAT was tough. I felt I was going to be untethered, out of my safety zone of 'home charger' and friends. And it was fine. I had a great time, chargers were available. A couple of times I had to stop at RV parks (which are everywhere, obviously) - and while it slowed me down, it was nice. I met people, I saw movies, I read a book sitting in the grass with shade overhead.

I've experienced how Tesla takes care of their customers. I've gotten to know many Tesla employees, their enthusiasm (that can't be faked). I've seen the factory. And I became a stockholder, because I believe in the future of the company. And, of course, this forum helped me find answers to the odd questions.

I started this thread because I think new owners need to hear from Roadster owners, to hear what I just said. I was concerned about all sorts of things before I took delivery of a Roadster. Now ... really no concerns of the kind I listed originally.

This is it:

Teslas Ambitions Fueled by Customer Down Payments - NYTimes.com

This really describes my one and only concern, which has been the same since I put down the deposit on day one they accepted reservations -- can they actually get this car built on time and have it work like a luxury car should (unlike the Karma). Until we hear that the assembly line is working and we start to see Model S's coming off that line and into customer's hands, I'm not 100% confident that the car is coming. The relatively small number of Roadster owners who suffered through a price increase and delayed delivery were much more patient than I think most Model S reservation holders will be, especially at this late stage. A delay or problem with actually building the cars could lead to a vicious cycle of canceled reservations and negative press that could really be a problem for Tesla. I thought the most devestating part of the Karma owner's video was when he showed that the body panels don't even line up properly. I don't think Tesla can have something similar and sell anything close to 20,000 cars every year, and then the whole business model/plan blows to bits.

I agree with everything said about how great a company Tesla is, and especially the commitment of the employees to customer service. But unlike the essentially hand-built Roadster, setting up a fully automated production line for mass production of a car like the Model S is something Tesla hasn't done before, and until it actually starts to happen I will have a small amount of doubt that it's all going to happen.