TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Reservation Tally

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Joel, Jun 7, 2011.

1. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I wouldn't have called. Who knows what would have happened!

2. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

(cough cough) Most of us grammar nazis have given up. Its too much to bother with :)

3. tritonx

tritonx Member

More specifically, I was essentially told that no more sigs are starting, since I was at the starting point.

4. Pmacafee

Pmacafee Member

#1984 Pmacafee, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Welcome aboard.

Should we have a door prize for #15,000?

6. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

P1769 reported in Norway today.

7. Kauai

Kauai Signature PS588

Sig 588 has been so fun to drive, we now have another Model S reservation P14,781 :wink:

8. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Congrats Kauai. I think there are going to be many (2) Model S garages once owners get a taste.

Which day did you reserve? Either reservations slowed down the past few days, or you reserved on the 26th or early on the 27th.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wow. It's amazing that we are seeing more than a few double Model S reservation holders/owners. That says a lot about the car. Congrats.

10. SouthJerseyJon

I just reserved another model S...reservation number 14896. My garage is now full!

According to the other threads, the non-performance Model S 7096 I configured will be finished early Feb. 2013. I also have Model X 1142.

I sure hope my Solarcity solar array and HPWC get here soon.

11. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

12. strangethingintheland

The simple chart speaks volumes. And as good as thnigs look, given that the growth rate is decidedly non-linear, it is still under-representing the underlying dynamics of demand.

Just have to thank those who have put in the time to assemble stats. I have nothing to offer in return but my appreciation.

13. PeterW

PeterW Member

In other words, two shifts coming next year. :wink:

I think that is what will happen; they will make sure one shift is running smoothly at full capacity (20k), then start a second shift.

14. Vger

Vger Active Member

I agree. Elon stated publicly already that he wanted to push the production rate well above 20k/yr. While the MT COTY award was clearly a huge catalyst, there are still so many other drivers yet to kick in-- lots of cars soon on the street with friends and family getting rides and drives; big wave of additional stores opening; beginning of serious marketing and shipments to EU and Asia; what else?

15. PeterW

PeterW Member

Yep, all true. Tesla also said they wanted to get the wait time down to 3-4 months. Without a second shift the wait for customers will get longer not shorter. I think the second shift will start before June 2013 (maybe sooner).

16. DrDave

DrDave Member

They are already running 2 shifts.

17. Whity Whiteman

DrDave +1
    I think, it's more likely that they built up a second line. The documentary (NatGeographic) said, that they programmed 130 Robots! That's a number...

18. Kauai

Kauai Signature PS588

I reserved early on the 27th. Sorry for the slow reply. Busy at work.

19. EV>ICE

EV>ICE New Member

Actually, Tesla is gearing up for a third shift. If you look at the TM website/career section, they are hiring CDC operators for the "Graveyard Shift". Having more CDC operators would be the first step in having a full graveyard shift. Not sure if they are hiring for other disciplines in the graveyard shift. Most other positions that listed a shift listed the swing shift.

It was also interesting that TM had many positions that were temp or temp to perm, so it seems like TM is being smart about how they hire (in case current demand is not sustainable in 2013). IMO, TM will be able to keep up demand, as they really have not done any advertising/marketing, and current demand is from word of mouth/good press/great reviews. Once they really market the car, they may see another upward demand spike. Plus, they have only partially turned on the spigot for international demand.

20. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

It's not just because demand might turn out to be soft. It appears that productivity has not been as high as anticipated, and as a result Tesla is taking a brute force approach to meeting their production targets, ie by throwing bodies at the problem.

However, it seems very likely that productivity will eventually improve, so Tesla wouldn't want to lock themselves into a workforce that is far more than necessary to meet their production goals. So I think it's more of an "all of the above" strategy, where Tesla is just trying to stay flexible so they can adapt as both the market and their production capabilities come into greater focus.