TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Reservation Tally

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Joel, Jun 7, 2011.

1. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

F (Founders)
    SS (Signature Special, Signature for Roadster owners)
    S (Signature)
    R (Roadster owners non-Signature)
    P (general production)

Apparently, however, "My Tesla" lists Signature Specials as Signatures, resulting in duplicate reservation numbers and confusion over the total number of resevations. :p

2. foxium

foxium Member

I got R#2 (Hong Kong).

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Wow, I got R1 in late March. That would mean no other Hong Kong roadster owners have ordered non-signature since then.

4. foxium

foxium Member

#24 foxium, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
    That's surprising for me too. Either they all chose to wait and see or they ordered the Signatures.

For the public, the lack of public high speed chargers is a serious problem (HK). If the situation remains, the plug-in Prius will probably sell faster (smaller batt = faster recharge even at low power). Also, I feel very disappointed that local power companies don't offer buy backs. For me this is a deal breaker for installing solar panels.

5. bolosky

bolosky Member

If people buy a plug-in Prius for this reason, they're pretty confused. The important thing isn't how long it takes to charge to a full battery, it's how long it takes to charge to get you where you're going. That is, if you're 100km from home and you've got an empty battery, you're going to charge to 100km range (plus whatever buffer makes you comfortable). If this means that your Model S battery is only at 25% charge, so what? It's enough. You're not going to wait for 100% charge just because you could. In the Prius, maybe you're at 70% charge in the same amount of time, but it's still the same 100km+ range.

6. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

numbers of model S preorders are steadily growing
    This without seeing a production-ready car!
    I wonder how fast numbers wil grow once beta cars or production starts!

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I think it will be game over (for those who delay their Model S reservation) once the general public can arrange to test drive an S at their local TM store...

8. Joel

Joel Active Member

I could not agree more. I reserved a Model S before I test drove a Roadster (my father and brother also test drove it). After the test drive(s), I never second guessed my decision and my father reserved a Signature and my brother reserved a general production.

9. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I think this will be true, but only if Tesla delivers on the promise to not only make it a great electric car, but to make it a great car in comparison to the ICE vehicles in its price class. While the Tesla Roadster is an amazing technical achievement, it was really pretty basic outside of the power train and much more expensive that ICE based Lotus equivelent.

When you look at the cost of the Signature Series it has some pretty tough competition. The Model S must provide both equivelent advanced features (e.g. a good adaptive cruise control/collision avoidance is high on my want/need list) and the solid fit, finish and feel of an $80k luxury automobile.

If they can pull that off - I think the reservation list will absolutely take off and Tesla will need to ramp up thier production numbers from the planned 20K per year to produce more vehicles in 2013.

My two cents...

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I'm not expecting the Model S to have every cool feature out there for the first generation (although that would be nice of course). I'd rather they produce a well made car with few bugs or problems and a flawless powertrain. I still want some cool features like an iPhone/Android app to control and check on the car, adaptive cruise control....etc as well.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I'd only agree with this up to a point Dave.

For me, the quality of the electric performance and "coolness factor" disolved many & most short-comings of the Roadster...for the cost of the Roadster, I could have chosen from an impressive list of gassers,,,but I didn't choose any of them as the " cache' " of the electric Roadster superceded the Roadster's short-comings by a long shot.

Remember, 20,000 units is not a huge number here in North Amercia, let alone world-wide.

jmo.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

+1. The "coolness" factor is indeed up on there on my list of reasons too. It'd indeed be ideal if everything else about the car is on par let alone better than equivalent ICEs but, I'd be okay to give up a little on some of the standard accoutrements for a great-performing, reliable and smashing-looking EV!

Can't wait to go: "Take that, you show-off but, run-of-the-mill Jag/Merc/BMW/Audi/Lexus driver!" :)

13. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I'm thinking that Tesla got something out of the Toyota/Lexus and Daimler/Mercedes deals besides cash. Hopefully some luxury tech.

14. DaveVa

I think at it's peak the NUMMI plant was cranking out 6,000 vehicles a week. My understanding is that the 20,000 unit number is running a single line for a single shift. By running three shifts they could triple production without any significant CapEx into new equipment. If they need to - I imagine they could ramp up very quickly.

They also have the space to add a parrallel line for the Model X chassis to be delivered in 2013.

Dave

15. Joel

Joel Active Member

16. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

Total: 5,704 - July 16, 2011

I have the impression number of pre-orders are growing fast this month!

17. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

4646 ----- april 9
    4817 ----- may 2
    5229 ----- june 1
    5558 ----- june 29

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

A result of the prototype tour?

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Very nice increases indeed! I'm still hoping to hop on the sig series line myself

20. DaveVa

While the prototype tour is helpful - the real reservation take off will be with the Beta tour. The prototype's "don't touch" status and MB conversion issues (components didn't quite sit right on the ICE structure limiting interior volume etc.) made it a nice piece of art work to look at, but still required a lot of faith on the buyers part. With the Beta tour prospective buyers (reservation holders) will get to drive a near production model.

I'm also sure the press will be lined up for a test drive. If Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Autoweek say that the Model S out drives the 5 series and E class, I think that reservations will really take off.