Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F (Founders)
SS (Signature Special, Signature for Roadster owners)
S (Signature)
R (Roadster owners non-Signature)
P (general production)

Apparently, however, "My Tesla" lists Signature Specials as Signatures, resulting in duplicate reservation numbers and confusion over the total number of resevations. :p

Wow, I got R1 in late March. That would mean no other Hong Kong roadster owners have ordered non-signature since then.

That's surprising for me too. Either they all chose to wait and see or they ordered the Signatures.

For the public, the lack of public high speed chargers is a serious problem (HK). If the situation remains, the plug-in Prius will probably sell faster (smaller batt = faster recharge even at low power). Also, I feel very disappointed that local power companies don't offer buy backs. For me this is a deal breaker for installing solar panels.

Last edited:
...the plug-in Prius will probably sell faster (smaller batt = faster recharge even at low power).

If people buy a plug-in Prius for this reason, they're pretty confused. The important thing isn't how long it takes to charge to a full battery, it's how long it takes to charge to get you where you're going. That is, if you're 100km from home and you've got an empty battery, you're going to charge to 100km range (plus whatever buffer makes you comfortable). If this means that your Model S battery is only at 25% charge, so what? It's enough. You're not going to wait for 100% charge just because you could. In the Prius, maybe you're at 70% charge in the same amount of time, but it's still the same 100km+ range.

I think it will be game over (for those who delay their Model S reservation) once the general public can arrange to test drive an S at their local TM store...
I could not agree more. I reserved a Model S before I test drove a Roadster (my father and brother also test drove it). After the test drive(s), I never second guessed my decision and my father reserved a Signature and my brother reserved a general production.

I think it will be game over (for those who delay their Model S reservation) once the general public can arrange to test drive an S at their local TM store...

I could not agree more. I reserved a Model S before I test drove a Roadster (my father and brother also test drove it). After the test drive(s), I never second guessed my decision and my father reserved a Signature and my brother reserved a general production.

I think this will be true, but only if Tesla delivers on the promise to not only make it a great electric car, but to make it a great car in comparison to the ICE vehicles in its price class. While the Tesla Roadster is an amazing technical achievement, it was really pretty basic outside of the power train and much more expensive that ICE based Lotus equivelent.

When you look at the cost of the Signature Series it has some pretty tough competition. The Model S must provide both equivelent advanced features (e.g. a good adaptive cruise control/collision avoidance is high on my want/need list) and the solid fit, finish and feel of an $80k luxury automobile.

If they can pull that off - I think the reservation list will absolutely take off and Tesla will need to ramp up thier production numbers from the planned 20K per year to produce more vehicles in 2013.

My two cents...

I'm not expecting the Model S to have every cool feature out there for the first generation (although that would be nice of course). I'd rather they produce a well made car with few bugs or problems and a flawless powertrain. I still want some cool features like an iPhone/Android app to control and check on the car, adaptive cruise control....etc as well.

I'd only agree with this up to a point Dave.

For me, the quality of the electric performance and "coolness factor" disolved many & most short-comings of the Roadster...for the cost of the Roadster, I could have chosen from an impressive list of gassers,,,but I didn't choose any of them as the " cache' " of the electric Roadster superceded the Roadster's short-comings by a long shot.

Remember, 20,000 units is not a huge number here in North Amercia, let alone world-wide.

jmo.

I think this will be true, but only if Tesla delivers on the promise to not only make it a great electric car, but to make it a great car in comparison to the ICE vehicles in its price class. While the Tesla Roadster is an amazing technical achievement, it was really pretty basic outside of the power train and much more expensive that ICE based Lotus equivelent.

When you look at the cost of the Signature Series it has some pretty tough competition. The Model S must provide both equivelent advanced features (e.g. a good adaptive cruise control/collision avoidance is high on my want/need list) and the solid fit, finish and feel of an $80k luxury automobile.

If they can pull that off - I think the reservation list will absolutely take off and Tesla will need to ramp up thier production numbers from the planned 20K per year to produce more vehicles in 2013.

My two cents...

For me, the quality of the electric performance and "coolness factor" disolved many & most short-comings of the Roadster...for the cost of the Roadster, I could have chosen from an impressive list of gassers,,,but I didn't choose any of them as the " cache' " of the electric Roadster superceded the Roadster's short-comings by a long shot.

+1. The "coolness" factor is indeed up on there on my list of reasons too. It'd indeed be ideal if everything else about the car is on par let alone better than equivalent ICEs but, I'd be okay to give up a little on some of the standard accoutrements for a great-performing, reliable and smashing-looking EV!

Can't wait to go: "Take that, you show-off but, run-of-the-mill Jag/Merc/BMW/Audi/Lexus driver!" :)

Remember, 20,000 units is not a huge number here in North Amercia, let alone world-wide.

jmo.

I think at it's peak the NUMMI plant was cranking out 6,000 vehicles a week. My understanding is that the 20,000 unit number is running a single line for a single shift. By running three shifts they could triple production without any significant CapEx into new equipment. If they need to - I imagine they could ramp up very quickly.

They also have the space to add a parrallel line for the Model X chassis to be delivered in 2013.

Dave

A result of the prototype tour?

While the prototype tour is helpful - the real reservation take off will be with the Beta tour. The prototype's "don't touch" status and MB conversion issues (components didn't quite sit right on the ICE structure limiting interior volume etc.) made it a nice piece of art work to look at, but still required a lot of faith on the buyers part. With the Beta tour prospective buyers (reservation holders) will get to drive a near production model.

I'm also sure the press will be lined up for a test drive. If Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Autoweek say that the Model S out drives the 5 series and E class, I think that reservations will really take off.