Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly it's a very loud minority that has a problem with the pricing/options.

The most likely explanation for the jump is simply that releasing the actual pricing got a lot of eyeballs on the pricing page. For all we know, that conversion rate to Sig from folks looking at the non-Sig could be significantly worse than before, but the large increase in viewers more than makes up for it. New Sig holders are also people putting money on a known item with a known cost and thus folks new to Tesla have little reason to talk about it. In fact, it'd be something of a major disappointment if the pricing announcement didn't see a big spike as it'd indicate a large level of apathy in the market about the Model S.

We also have absolutely no idea how many more people might have gotten Sigs had the pricing released and not shown a penalty. Jumping the line now also has more value due to the queue length than 6-12-18-24 months ago.

The jump in Sigs is good for Tesla, but has absolutely zero impact on the merits of the concerns of long term Sig holders, which are a minority by the very definition of the circumstances required.

I have appreciated your work in tracking the tally, but I find your statement dismissive and I'm disappointed you would show derision for long term members in your Tesla community.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or not michiganmodels.

Sorry to go off topic but the Model S is still notattainable to the large majority of people.

I'm in the top 10% house hold income according to the US Census and I have a tough time affording this vehicle with the options I expect at this price point. Now I accept the fact that this is not meant to be a car for the masses but it does not mean that people shouldn't be able to openly express their displeasure or sadness caused by the release of the pricing/options. I suspect for many it is a resetting of our expectations and hopes in aspiring to have something better like the Model S.

Now back to topic. Having dropped my signature reservation in Canada I was given P49 so it looks like Tesla is filling in gaps that exist in their lists, not sure if others have seen the same thing or not.

but it does not mean that people shouldn't be able to openly express their displeasure or sadness caused by the release of the pricing/options. I suspect for many it is a resetting of our expectations and hopes in aspiring to have something better like the Model S.

Personally, I think that's fine, it's the continued harping on that's annoying. It's starting to be more like whining hoping to get what is desired than simply expressing displeasure.

In michigan's defense, he only mentioned sigs (well, quoted it), but in general, in all the blogs I've read, people are very receptive to the options/pricing Tesla has released. I think there are some who were on board early and had expectations that weren't met (even if Tesla never said they would get what they expected) and so now they are understandably upset. To the outside observer though, I'd imagine the pricing and packaging look VERY attractive, especially in comparison to some of the pricing and options that traditional automakers throw out there.

I'm still sad about the Signature penalty, but outside of that (and possibly the tech package - though I'm OK with it), Tesla has done a kick-a$$ job on the pricing IMO.

Last edited:
Regarding the Signature list, there's something else to keep in mind...

If you think you're "showing Tesla" by switching your S to a P, you might be hurting yourself more than Tesla. More specifically, if you switch from an S to a P and expect to switch back if they address your demands you likely won't have that option a month from now (or sooner).

Put another way, the best move for an upset Sig reserve holder is to have thorough, but polite, conversations with your Tesla rep in e-mail and/or on the phone and then give them at least a couple weeks to respond before you make a move. You have until March or later to switch from S to P, but the window to move from P to S is closing fast.

Put another way, the best move for an upset Sig reserve holder is to have thorough, but polite, conversations with your Tesla rep in e-mail and/or on the phone and then give them at least a couple weeks to respond before you make a move. You have until March or later to switch from S to P, but the window to move from P to S is closing fast.
I did that and was told I needed to switch now to get a good spot in the P line. If I waited until 3 months before potential Sig delivery and wanted to downgrade, then I'd likely end up way at the end of the list. I was also told Sig pricing was basically set in stone.

With that information, I downgraded. Tesla will likely sell out their Sigs and, sadly, probably care very little that they traded in long time Sig holders for new ones.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or not michiganmodels.

Sorry to go off topic but the Model S is still notattainable to the large majority of people.

I'm in the top 10% house hold income according to the US Census and I have a tough time affording this vehicle with the options I expect at this price point. Now I accept the fact that this is not meant to be a car for the masses but it does not mean that people shouldn't be able to openly express their displeasure or sadness caused by the release of the pricing/options. I suspect for many it is a resetting of our expectations and hopes in aspiring to have something better like the Model S.

Now back to topic. Having dropped my signature reservation in Canada I was given P49 so it looks like Tesla is filling in gaps that exist in their lists, not sure if others have seen the same thing or not.

I agree with you. Let me clarify. The Model S is not attainable to the majority of people. However, of those who can afford the Model S (or stretch a budget to afford it), it appears a loud minority of that population were dissatisfied with pricing/options. And by dissatisfied, I mean dropped a reservation completely (not downgraded).

I completely agree. Until Project Blue Star (or beyond) hits the road, these automobiles fit into small percentage of households worldwide.

the best move for an upset Sig reserve holder is to have thorough, but polite, conversations with your Tesla rep in e-mail and/or on the phone and then give them at least a couple weeks to respond before you make a move. You have until March or later to switch from S to P, but the window to move from P to S is closing fast.

That's why I reserved both a Sig and a P back in early 2009. I'll keep both until I have to choose.

I agree with you. Let me clarify. The Model S is not attainable to the majority of people. However, of those who can afford the Model S (or stretch a budget to afford it), it appears a loud minority of that population were dissatisfied with pricing/options. And by dissatisfied, I mean dropped a reservation completely (not downgraded).

I'm not sure how a bunch of new reservations demonstrates that existing Signature reservers that are disgruntled are a minority. That's a completely illogical conclusion because one thing has nothing to do with the other.

At this point, a new Signature reservation is very valuable (worth $3500 easily) if someone wants to jump the line by at least 6 months and would otherwise have gotten most/all of the options in the Signature anyway. The key issue for existing Signature holders is the fact that, when they reserved months or years ago, the time difference would have been very small, and therefore the only value in having the Sig are the unique features in the vehicle.

I completely agree. Until Project Blue Star (or beyond) hits the road, these automobiles fit into small percentage of households worldwide.

Gotcha, also missed the Signature Reservation context as well.

I'm not sure how a bunch of new reservations demonstrates that existing Signature reservers that are disgruntled are a minority. That's a completely illogical conclusion because one thing has nothing to do with the other.

At this point, a new Signature reservation is very valuable (worth $3500 easily) if someone wants to jump the line by at least 6 months and would otherwise have gotten most/all of the options in the Signature anyway. The key issue for existing Signature holders is the fact that, when they reserved months or years ago, the time difference would have been very small, and therefore the only value in having the Sig are the unique features in the vehicle.

Fair enough. My point is: the population of reservations holders that dropped out solely due to pricing /options are few. If Tesla completely missed the mark on pricing / options, it would be reasonable to conclude that more reservation holders would be completely dropping out and few (if any) would be signing up.

And, yes, I agree, I am more annoyed with the Signature "value" differential than anything else.

I did that and was told I needed to switch now to get a good spot in the P line. If I waited until 3 months before potential Sig delivery and wanted to downgrade, then I'd likely end up way at the end of the list. I was also told Sig pricing was basically set in stone.

With that information, I downgraded. Tesla will likely sell out their Sigs and, sadly, probably care very little that they traded in long time Sig holders for new ones.
You're missing or not acknowledging my main point. I'm not talking about timeline (list position), I'm talking about availability. The window to get a new S is closing fast; the window to get a P from your existing S reservation is March 2012 or later.

Clearly it's a very loud minority that has a problem with the pricing/options.
Actually the one does not actually follow from the other. As has been mentioned when the Sig pricing finally became final there probably was quite a few that had considered upgrading and now grabbed the chance. In some ways I had expected more actually.
BUT and this is the big thing, I'm pretty sure Tesla has not compacted the Sig list, so we do not know how many have dropped out after the pricing. There might be 200 new holes in the sig list or there might 20 new holes in the sig list. As Tesla has been pretty opaque on this it's hard to say. Though within a few months we should see some compacting and they should finally sell out the signature list.

Cobos

You're missing or not acknowledging my main point. I'm not talking about timeline (list position), I'm talking about availability. The window to get a new S is closing fast; the window to get a P from your existing S reservation is March 2012 or later.
You said: "You have until March or later to switch from S to P"

I'm saying that Tesla has told me that is not the case if you want to avoid going to the very back of the line. I have no comment on the other items in your post.

You said: "You have until March or later to switch from S to P"

I'm saying that Tesla has told me that is not the case if you want to avoid going to the very back of the line. I have no comment on the other items in your post.
The sky is blue.
But my apple isn't purple.
If you quote my post, I assume you're replying to the content of it. Perhaps my mistaken assumption.