Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! What made you jump in? Also do you know what specs you want to get?

The long wait begins ....

Hi Omer - long story - but since you asked...I have always enjoyed performance cars and am passionate about the BMW M series. In April, just for the fun of it, I test drove a Chevy Volt as my wife and I were getting ready to replace her GMC Yukon. Her commute distance had increased over the last year and we were getting tired of paying $300/mo. just for gas for her SUV. I found myself watching gas prices like the stock market to figure out what our monthly budget requirements would be.

The Volt really impressed me - the drive, the quiet, the comfort and technology - everything about the car. Then there is that immense satisfaction one gets by driving without using any gas. I am not a "green" guy by any means but all of a sudden every other ICE car on the road seems like last years technology. It is hard to explain until you do it. I found myself wanting to drive her new Volt and even contemplated leasing a Volt for myself but going from the BMW M3 I thought the detox might be too steep and I would find myself longing for that rush of acceleration and handling that only cars like the the M series can provide.

Along comes the Tesla MS and now it appears I can enjoy both the immense satisfaction from not using gas and still get the performance drive that I crave - it doesn't get any better than that. Another significant contributing factor for jumping in now rather than later was the ever increasing rate of reseravations. Waiting 9-10 months is going to be hard enough - and taking delivery in the middle of winter was not as appealling as a possible fall 2013 delivery window.

Needless to say my config will be performance, black, black with the grey wheels - what a great looking car...detox problem solved...

M_Mike

Needless to say my config will be performance, black, black with the grey wheels - what a great looking car...detox problem solved...

M_Mike

I'm in a similar situation, really like performance but I want to go electric. I'm getting a fully spec'd MS. Only hesitation is price will be just about the level of a Porsche 991 S Sport Chrono ... and I REALLY like that Porsche. I'll have to take a few more test drives in both cars :)

I'm in a similar situation, really like performance but I want to go electric. I'm getting a fully spec'd MS. Only hesitation is price will be just about the level of a Porsche 991 S Sport Chrono ... and I REALLY like that Porsche. I'll have to take a few more test drives in both cars :)
Upfront price is only a piece of the puzzle. With the 911's 21 mpg rating, on premium fuel, you will have much lower fuel cost with the MS. And if you own both cars past the 4-year mark, I'm betting the 911's maintenance will really start adding up.

This chart has changed from the last one since I double checked all the numbers and had to change a few due to improperly reported dates. I also changed the data points to a minimum of a 10 day average of reservations to smooth the line out. Quite an increase this week.

untitled.PNG

untitled1.PNG

Last edited:
This chart has changed from the last one since I double checked all the numbers and had to change a few due to improperly reported dates. I also changed the data points to a minimum of a 10 day average of reservations to smooth the line out. Quite an increase this week.

The sky is the limit. It starts looking like a climate temperature graph (aka hockey stick).

@jdevo2004: Wow ... Tesla's above the 25,000/year mark, even though they've done no advertising, there's a ~8 month delivery lag, EU pricing isn't released, etc. Admittedly, Tesla is benefiting by a huge publicity surge from MT and other awards, and from first reviews in Europe, but my advise to anyone who's holding back reserving because they're afraid Tesla Motors won't be around in a year: reserve now.​ The line isn't getting any shorter!

View attachment 11877

View attachment 11879

My guess for the bump is the impending price increase pushing fence-sitters into reservation holders. I don't doubt that the line will continue to trend up long term, but it will be very interesting to see what happens *after* the price increase is announced, and the glut of fence-sitters is gone. I will guess the rate will go down for a month or two, then slowly make its way back up.