Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reservation rate for the 2nd part of February was about 24/day - the post New Year's hangover in orders isn't getting better!
Yea, it's a little distressing as it's only about a ~9000 rate per year, but they've got enough backlog that there are a number of months for demand to kick back up from stores, word of mouth, non-US deliveries starting, etc. It's a little tight, but I'll wait to panic after seeing Q2's rates :). I always worried/figured that there would be a slow time period after Tesla started delivering in bulk until it got enough word of mouth buyers in to do their own ordering.

Yea, it's a little distressing as it's only about a ~9000 rate per year, but they've got enough backlog that there are a number of months for demand to kick back up from stores, word of mouth, non-US deliveries starting, etc. It's a little tight, but I'll wait to panic after seeing Q2's rates :). I always worried/figured that there would be a slow time period after Tesla started delivering in bulk until it got enough word of mouth buyers in to do their own ordering.

I agree, not worried for Tesla right now. Even though a full optioned US car is just over a month reservation to delivery right now, they probably have 2.5 months of backorders to fill Europe, 40kw, backed up 60kw, standard suspension, red. That means they are good through mid summer but 3Q will be interesting - hopefully by then order rates will match production capacity.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Omer Forum member JPASQUA reserved his car 2/17, finalized 2/18 Reservation# 19,325 (Model S Reservation Tally - Page 230)

Forum member Kenne74 reserved his car 2/27, finalized 2/28 Reservation# 19,565 (Model S Reservation Tally - Page 234)

I am confused here... Model S close to being delivered for Res #19,000+ while the Model X production is being delayed.... something does not add up

Code:

Don't worry:
- This is just the US rate. Typically one third of luxury cars worldwide are being sold in US.
- Europe is only getting started this summer (and already 500 Sigs and 3,000 P's reserved)
- Asia hasn't even started yet
- Word of mouth will pick up speed as more and more cars are being delivered (presently only 5,000 to 6,000 on the road)
- Spring and summer usually see higher car sales
- Tesla is opening a lot of stores in the next months and years. A lot more people will get to see and feel the Model S

Tesla will build 20,000 cars this year. Together with last year that makes 23,000 cars. North American and European reservations combined already are at 23,000+. If you take away a 15% cancellation rate (which is dropping as older reservations have been filled, and as reserving now often means finalizing) this means that already in a few months time the production capacity for 2013 will be sold out. When production for Europe starts this summer delivery times for US orders will start to increase again.

This is not entirely true. I reserved 2/15, finalized 3/1 and delivery is end of April. They told me car will be assembled 2nd week of April. So for general production it is more like 2.5 months.
Fully optioned meaning 85kw. Yours is 60, the 60's are on hold while they build out fully loaded 85's probably for cash flow. I did mention they have 2.5 months of backorder for euro, 40kw, red, non-air, and delayed 60's but time from reservation to delivery for loaded 85 is currently about 1 month. I'm sure once 1Q ends they will start producing all the other cars (they'll have to because they will run out of enough US 85kw by then)

Last edited: