Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you get your countersigned Pre-Delivery MVPA, you'll get an email with the subject, "Your Model S order is complete". That email might have the reservation number at the very bottom, if they haven't changed it recently.

I think the Tally is definitely over. I received the above email and it simply says:
Model S Performance #0 RN324534

At the very bottom of the email. I assume the #0 is where the production number used to be.

With all these Teslas you guys will need to build more hydroelectric dams.

Or wind farms :)
Well, last year Norway produced about 146TWh and consumed 128TWh, so Norway have no need for more hydroelectric dams. However, renewable energy production will probably increase by 15-20% the next 8 years, so we can support millions of EVs in year 2020 by exporting electricity :) There`s lots of untapped hydro energy in Norway.

Hydroelectricity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the Tally is definitely over. I received the above email and it simply says:

At the very bottom of the email. I assume the #0 is where the production number used to be.

I have an image of a Tesla programming reading this thread for the past two months and saying to herself "oh, so thats where they are still getting the reservation number from.. " #delete#

Well, last year Norway produced about 146TWh and consumed 128TWh, so Norway have no need for more hydroelectric dams. However, renewable energy production will probably increase by 15-20% the next 8 years, so we can support millions of EVs in year 2020 by exporting electricity :) There`s lots of untapped hydro energy in Norway.

Hydroelectricity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's good to hear, at least you guys will completely power your electric cars with renewable energy!

Yep. That's where it was.

I have an image of a Tesla programming reading this thread for the past two months and saying to herself "oh, so thats where they are still getting the reservation number from.. " #delete#

That's likely how it went. But I wonder why they left the "#0" in there at all. Maybe for reservations outside of North America?

The first e-mail always had this RN-number. A few days later, after receipt of the $5,000 or €4,000, you would receive an e-mail with the reservation number. I don't know if it still works like that.

I've got a question. Do I still have to put $5,000 down just to test drive the car even though they have stores open now? I know it's refundable, but I don't want to mess with reservations count for the company. I know the market looks at every detail and I don't want to be one of those that adds to the negative news. I just want to test drive the damn thing! haha. The test drive page on their website doesn't ask for money, just this: "If a test drive is all that stands between you and a Model S reservation, please sign up below." That's somewhat vague.

I've got a question. Do I still have to put $5,000 down just to test drive the car even though they have stores open now? I know it's refundable, but I don't want to mess with reservations count for the company. I know the market looks at every detail and I don't want to be one of those that adds to the negative news. I just want to test drive the damn thing! haha. The test drive page on their website doesn't ask for money, just this: "If a test drive is all that stands between you and a Model S reservation, please sign up below." That's somewhat vague.

You can't do test drives in Texas because the dealership lobby has made sales in Texas very difficult. You might be able to find an owner in Dallas willing to give you a ride or you can visit the show room in Houston or Austin to see the car. You can also try and schedule a test drive out of state but would of course want to confirm the appointment before you took the time and money to travel to Chicago, Seattle....etc.

The deposit is refundable but from my experience you could wait more than 2 months for them to actually refund after your request. Better bet is to find someone in the forums and PM for a test drive.

Reservation number what does it mean, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING! I have #4172 and no production in sight. If you dont order all the toys, with the largest battery you will get built when they have an opening. Apparently they are building only the cars with ALL THE EXTRAS. I ordered a car with 60kw battery and a few extras and looking above I see cars in the 10-15k reservation numbers being completed and delivered. BTW, finalizing the order is not what they say it is. I finalized 90 days ago, and still no production so watching all these late orders getting delivered makes me a bit frustrated.

What color and what suspension do you have reserved?

I got a test drive without putting down the deposit first (although I did put down the deposit immediately after the test drive). Basically I got the manager of one of the Tesla stores on the phone and I was able to convince him that I was serious about buying the car if I liked it and wasn't simply trying to get a joy ride with no intention of buying. If you seem at least somewhat knowledgable about the car and ask questions a serious buyer would ask then that should help your cause.

I am confused here... Model S close to being delivered for Res #19,000+
Remember, Euro cars, standard suspensions, 60 kW batteries, 40 kW batteries, and red were delayed.

while the Model X production is being delayed.... something does not add up

Model S had more early bugs than the optimists in Fremont expected, and they're all bugs which will apply to Model X as well. (Vampire load comes to mind first and foremost, also windshield cracking, defroster vent design.) It makes sense not to even consider starting Model X production until the *shared* bugs are fixed. On top of that, they haven't finished optimizing the factory, and they haven't finished designing the standard suspension. And the executives have their hands full trying to straighten out the sales/delivery communications, which is honestly a mess. And then there's the ramping up of the service centers... And the service contracts aren't available for sale yet.... and they haven't even got the parcel shelves shipping... basically, adding model X production would be like adding a straw to a camels back, until several of the outstanding issues are more settled. Model X *needs* to go on the back burner for now.

I am a bit surprised that Euro reservations are running as slow as they are. The economics of electric cars is a lot better in Europe than it is in most of the US: more expensive gasoline, shorter distances, 240V electrical grid! But I assume it's the lack of cars on the road. Model S had a rocky rollout in the US with a lot of early bugs (like any new car); the rollout in Europe should attract more positive publicity, because they'll be coming off an established production line. We could see a sharp acceleration in sales once cars start being delivered in Europe.

Remember, Euro cars, standard suspensions, 60 kW batteries, 40 kW batteries, and red were delayed.

Model S had more early bugs than the optimists in Fremont expected, and they're all bugs which will apply to Model X as well. (Vampire load comes to mind first and foremost, also windshield cracking, defroster vent design.) It makes sense not to even consider starting Model X production until the *shared* bugs are fixed. On top of that, they haven't finished optimizing the factory, and they haven't finished designing the standard suspension. And the executives have their hands full trying to straighten out the sales/delivery communications, which is honestly a mess. And then there's the ramping up of the service centers... And the service contracts aren't available for sale yet.... and they haven't even got the parcel shelves shipping... basically, adding model X production would be like adding a straw to a camels back, until several of the outstanding issues are more settled. Model X *needs* to go on the back burner for now.

I am a bit surprised that Euro reservations are running as slow as they are. The economics of electric cars is a lot better in Europe than it is in most of the US: more expensive gasoline, shorter distances, 240V electrical grid! But I assume it's the lack of cars on the road. Model S had a rocky rollout in the US with a lot of early bugs (like any new car); the rollout in Europe should attract more positive publicity, because they'll be coming off an established production line. We could see a sharp acceleration in sales once cars start being delivered in Europe.
Great post. Completely agree :)

In Europe the car is more expensive for the average buyer, the price in dollars is about the price in Euro's, so that is a 30% increase. Also, Europeans tend to drive smaller cars. For me as a business owner the Model S is very attractive, since there are many tax breaks and subsidies. For consumer the only advantage is the lower price of the 'fuel'. (Yeah, there are many more advantages, but if you only take price into consideration, the Model S is not very economical for the consumer in The Netherlands). I think in Norway the situation is different. But we are both small countries. The Germans prefer German cars, the French French, the Italians Italian..... And the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road :). It will take some time for Europe to ramp up the sales.