Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservations after winning Motor Trend COTY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to watch Model S reservations after yesterday's Motor Trend COY award. As accolades continue to come in for the Model S, and public awareness increases, will this translate to increased reservations?

Congrats again to the Tesla Team!

I have been searching out and reading all the news reports generated by the award since last night. There is still a modicum of snark left in them, from some outlets, especially the business-oriented ones, but overall they are some of the broadest and most positive coverage Tesla has gotten, especially that focused ON THE CAR and its virtues. I wonder how long we will have to wait to see a pulse in reservations, and where they will come from. Those near Tesla stores can monitor upticks in foot traffic, and report that here, perhaps.

There is still a modicum of snark left in them, from some outlets, especially the business-oriented ones.

I noticed that, too. I see it as another indication of big win for Tesla. :smile:
The car is there, production is ramping up - nothing more left than to cast doubt on the long-term durability and viability of Tesla and the Model S.

I wonder how people, used to the traditional dealership model, will react when told they won't get their car for many months? Some will surely be turned off, but likely as more and more cars are on the road this will become less of a concern.

For many years the Prius had a long waiting period (6 to 9 months). It didn't seem to bother anyone.

Yep, a lot of people in the office today were aware of the MT COTY award. While Tesla is not participating in any traditional marketing activities, Elon's definitely hitting the talk show circuit and getting the word out to the non-Motor Trend crowd.

I would like to think that this is the moment from which the rise of Tesla truly begins. it's hard to imagine this kind of coverage not dramatically increasing orders and it's going to be hard for the EV haters to maintain their self righteous tone. fingers crossed that the tide is turning!

I hope you're right. In reading the comments on MT's website it's clear that the doubters/deniers are going to keep at it. They're trotting out the old chestnuts like, "it only happened because the gubment paid for it, no one actually wants this car," and "it just won't work where I live because there's no chargers around," and "It sucks because it's not $25k."

All of these reasons are nonsense, of course, but these ideologues simply won't let them go.

Doing some rough math from forum posts Tesla is took in roughly 65 daily Model S orders worldwide over the last week. Demand is too much at next years planned production rate and Tesla is going to have to decide if they want to invest in increased production.

There are always naysayers (I hate change) types, but they will be proven to be on the wrong side of history. Educate those with open minds, save your breath on the endless deniers.

The internal combustion engine has been around long enough to prove its massive short comings. I think Thomas Edison said it best "We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy — sun, wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."

Combine Edison's foresight with Elon's Master plan from six years ago and we have a sunnier future:

"So, in short, the master plan is:

1. Build sports car
  2. Use that money to build an affordable car
  3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car
  4. While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options"

Doing some rough math from forum posts Tesla is took in roughly 65 daily Model S orders worldwide over the last week. Demand is too much at next years planned production rate and Tesla is going to have to decide if they want to invest in increased production.

Note that Elon has said (last time was in the 3Q call) that the 20k per year rate for the Model S is the minimum build rate and not the maximum. I am sure if they get the orders they will be more then happy to build and sell more...

Sometime's being successful to early on can actually be a bad thing. Tesla has a lot of work to get product out there to consumers from ramping up quality products, getting the support structure in place for charging and service... With so much good press out there people will start getting interested until they see 1 year wait time's and price out their dream car for 75k (in my case). With all these caveats interest can be lost or worse turn into frustration.

If Tesla can keep to their timeline's and expectations they should never get consumers to the frustration stage, but so early in their production and company life cycle issues are bound to come up and the shorts are sure to pounce on that.

Congrats to the entire Tesla Team for putting out such a great product, but im afraid there is no time to rest on the laurels

It'd be nice if MT spent some "time capital" defending their choice to some of their "less enlightened" readers...

I hope you're right. In reading the comments on MT's website it's clear that the doubters/deniers are going to keep at it. They're trotting out the old chestnuts like, "it only happened because the gubment paid for it, no one actually wants this car," and "it just won't work where I live because there's no chargers around," and "It sucks because it's not $25k."

All of these reasons are nonsense, of course, but these ideologues simply won't let them go.