Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S resets all settings after reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At June 11., the GUI was sluggish, music stopped playing, and the browser closing continuously made me do the normal two scroll-wheel reboot.
When done, every setting was reset/deleted, such as profiles, trip statistics, languages, navigation favourites, and more. Everything!
Looked like a reset to factory defaults.
Also, I temporarily lost the ability to use/enable navigate on autopilot, traffic light and stop sign control, full self driving visualization preview. Said it was not supported in this region. These came back after some time.
Called support but they could do nothing. Said the settings themselves isn't saved in the cloud - just locally on the vehicle. Blaming it on privacy issues. Asked them to access the logs, but they said they were also gone, up to the reset/boot. If that's the case, how to debug such problems?
Anyways, TuneIn favourites and Spotify playlist was retained, probably because those are stored in the cloud.
Anyone else?
I didn't note the software version, but it would have been the latest available for my vehicle at that time.
2019 Model S 100D, with MCU2.

Last edited:
I don't know which update, but one two finger reboot lost all my energy usage statistics, so I lost the calculation for the lifetime of the vehicle. I never noticed anything else missing. I figure it is just buggy software that does weird things occasionally during reboots.

Reactions: tefla
At June 11., the GUI was sluggish, music stopped playing, and the browser closing continuously made me do the normal two scroll-wheel reboot.
When done, every setting was reset/deleted, such as profiles, trip statistics, languages, navigation favourites, and more. Everything!
Looked like a reset to factory defaults.
Also, I temporarily lost the ability to use/enable navigate on autopilot, traffic light and stop sign control, full self driving visualization preview. Said it was not supported in this region. These came back after some time.
Called support but they could do nothing. Said the settings themselves isn't saved in the cloud - just locally on the vehicle. Blaming it on privacy issues. Asked them to access the logs, but they said they were also gone, up to the reset/boot. If that's the case, how to debug such problems?
Anyways, TuneIn favourites and Spotify playlist was retained, probably because those are stored in the cloud.
Anyone else?
I didn't note the software version, but it would have been the latest available for my vehicle at that time.
2019 Model S 100D, with MCU2.
Somewhat similar thread for Model X:
Software (2022.12.3.20) reinstalls itself and resets settings to factory defaults while charging at Supercharger during long trip

Reactions: tefla
I don't know which update, but one two finger reboot lost all my energy usage statistics, so I lost the calculation for the lifetime of the vehicle. I never noticed anything else missing. I figure it is just buggy software that does weird things occasionally during reboots.
Yea, pretty sore about losing the energy stats from the car was new, too. 😭

Exact same think happened to me on my Model 3 Performance yesterday.