Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Resk 3rd Qtr '12 on Ebay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4016 is a fairly high P number. They probably only jumped on board in 2011 or so. If it were a sig, or low P number reservation I could see it being worthwhile but not so much this. We also don't know if Tesla is allowing reservation transfers.

I thought they aren't allowing reservation transfers. I assume he's going to order and take delivery of the car for someone then sell it to them. Seems like a big hassle and risk for the second buyer and simpler just to wait an extra three months and save $5,000.

I thought they aren't allowing reservation transfers. I assume he's going to order and take delivery of the car for someone then sell it to them. Seems like a big hassle and risk for the second buyer and simpler just to wait an extra three months and save $5,000.
That was basically the decision facing a lot of Sig folks when pricing came out. Wait a few more months and save several thousand or keep the Sig.

Last edited:
This guy wants an extra $5,000 just to jump 2,000 spots in the general production line though. It may be worth it to someone but I'd rather deal directly with Tesla.
Agreed, and by the time the push out P4000+ the factory should be pretty ramped up and waiting another 2000 spots should only be a couple of months I would think.
I also wonder about the legality and practicality of selling a spot in line.

My reservation agreement says that it is transferable only with the written agreement of Tesla. If I decide to wait for the Model X, I may ask for that transfer (currently have p260), but only for face value & to a family member or friend.

I'm bringing my checkbook to Hawthorne. :)

It may not even be a "jump"....don't forget that the production order is dictated by battery size at the beginning. If there's a number of 40 & 60kWh battery packs a new reservation today with an intention to get an 85kWh battery pack will probably stand a good chance to get the car this year anyway.

Both parties lose the $7,500 Federal tax credit (and likely any state incentives) as far as I recall.

Both parties lose the $7,500 Federal tax credit (and likely any state incentives) as far as I recall.

Bingo!

A reservation with Tesla is expressly non-transferable unless the company agrees (why would they?). And if the guy selling his place in line buys the car on behalf of the other person then the initial buyer gets the tax credit and the person bidding on eBay does not get the tax credit.

I can understand wanting to sell your spot in line (and get a $7,500 tax credit) but I can't understand why anyone would pay the guy.

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone is willing to pay $5000 to get ahead in line by *that little*. That's not a low number.

(on top of losing the $7500 credit, though to be fair the bidders may be sitting on large net operating losses or something similar and be unable to claim it.)

I can't see why anyone would pay 10 K for it. That's really odd. The real kicker is going to be if the person gets the reservation goes with the lower battery size too, he may as well have just paid 5K and saved up the money to get a "better" battery and probably have the car sooner