TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Resk 3rd Qtr '12 on Ebay

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by pgwoosley, Feb 1, 2012.

1. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

#1 pgwoosley, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    Model S Resv 3rd Qtr '12 on Ebay

Tesla Tesla | eBay
    Asking $10k to start (including $5k deposit)

: "Resk" changed to "Resv" for reservation.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

4016 is a fairly high P number. They probably only jumped on board in 2011 or so. If it were a sig, or low P number reservation I could see it being worthwhile but not so much this. We also don't know if Tesla is allowing reservation transfers.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I thought they aren't allowing reservation transfers. I assume he's going to order and take delivery of the car for someone then sell it to them. Seems like a big hassle and risk for the second buyer and simpler just to wait an extra three months and save $5,000.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

#4 ckessel, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    That was basically the decision facing a lot of Sig folks when pricing came out. Wait a few more months and save several thousand or keep the Sig.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This guy wants an extra $5,000 just to jump 2,000 spots in the general production line though. It may be worth it to someone but I'd rather deal directly with Tesla.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Agreed, and by the time the push out P4000+ the factory should be pretty ramped up and waiting another 2000 spots should only be a couple of months I would think.
    I also wonder about the legality and practicality of selling a spot in line.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My reservation agreement says that it is transferable only with the written agreement of Tesla. If I decide to wait for the Model X, I may ask for that transfer (currently have p260), but only for face value & to a family member or friend.

I'm bringing my checkbook to Hawthorne. :)

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

It may not even be a "jump"....don't forget that the production order is dictated by battery size at the beginning. If there's a number of 40 & 60kWh battery packs a new reservation today with an intention to get an 85kWh battery pack will probably stand a good chance to get the car this year anyway.

9. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Agree with everything said so far... yet it looks like someone bid on it. :eek:

10. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Both parties lose the $7,500 Federal tax credit (and likely any state incentives) as far as I recall.

11. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

Bingo!

A reservation with Tesla is expressly non-transferable unless the company agrees (why would they?). And if the guy selling his place in line buys the car on behalf of the other person then the initial buyer gets the tax credit and the person bidding on eBay does not get the tax credit.

I can understand wanting to sell your spot in line (and get a $7,500 tax credit) but I can't understand why anyone would pay the guy.

12. clea

clea Member

not so sure he (the seller) can even claim the credit ...

on the facts page (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/facts) they state that
    "To qualify for the US Federal Tax Credit, the new vehicle must be purchased by the taxpayer, and not purchased for resale. The credit is applied when the taxpayer completes their annual tax forms. Qualification is contingent on Adjusted Gross Income."

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I don't wish to cast any aspersions in this case...I have seen in the past clear cases where friends of the seller started the bidding in order to gain interest in an auction. It's usually from people who have never bid on anything before.

14. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

I suspect the bidder(s) blindly bid without reading the description, and think they are bidding on an actual car, and not a reservation spot...

15. clea

clea Member

then there were two that made casual bids for over $10K ... not an amount someone would normally bid on without doing some research first IMHO.

16. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone is willing to pay $5000 to get ahead in line by *that little*. That's not a low number.

(on top of losing the $7500 credit, though to be fair the bidders may be sitting on large net operating losses or something similar and be unable to claim it.)

17. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I can't see why anyone would pay 10 K for it. That's really odd. The real kicker is going to be if the person gets the reservation goes with the lower battery size too, he may as well have just paid 5K and saved up the money to get a "better" battery and probably have the car sooner

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Sounds bogus to me. Probably got some friends to put in the bids, hoping to rope someone in.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Bidding closed with the (slightly dubious?) $10,200 remaining as the final bid.