Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Revenue Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we need to be very careful about interpreting these numbers. Revenue recognition can get complex. It would not surprise me if Tesla is allowed to recognize the $10K non-refundable portion when the contract is signed.

Non-refundable deposits cannot be recognized as liabilities so are therefore classified as revenue. The revenue should be recognized in the period to which the transaction pertains; I would generally see that as the potential closing date of the MVPA, which would put most existing ones into Q3.

(Shouldn't this discussion be in one of the "Investor" threads?)

Non-refundable deposits cannot be recognized as liabilities so are therefore classified as revenue. The revenue should be recognized in the period to which the transaction pertains; I would generally see that as the potential closing date of the MVPA, which would put most existing ones into Q3.

(Shouldn't this discussion be in one of the "Investor" threads?)

I think delivery is required to recognize revenue. Per page 107 of the 10-K, "We recognize revenue when: (i) persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists; (ii) delivery has occurred and there are no uncertainties regarding customer acceptance; (iii) fees are fixed and determinable; (iv) and collection is reasonably assured."