TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S reversing lights in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Wattup, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Wattup

Wattup Member

Reversing down a long dark winding driveway with rock gardens on either side last night , I was struck by how poor the light put out by the reversing light is. It does not give the view in the camera enough clarity and does not cast enough light to properly define low objects in the wing mirrors. I did a bit of digging and have discovered that in Australia and the UK the car only has one reversing light, versus 2 in North America. Has anyone else felt the same and are there any mods tried, eg brighter bulbs or rewiring so the other light comes on as well.

2. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Yes we only have one reversing light as the other is a fog light.

I sometimes turn on the rear fog light for additional illumination when reversing down a dark driveway. Being designed to cut through fog it's much brighter than the reversing light!

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Even my my two USA-spec reversing lights are dim. It's very hard to see what is behind me with the camera. EVAnnex came out with LED license plate lights, which help a little. But I wish somebody would come out with an aftermarket brighter reverse light.

4. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

The EVANNEX LED rear plate lights are great. You can position them to throw out quite a bit of light and they are cheap and super easy to install.

5. paulp

paulp Member

Not on the latest cars, as they come with an LED fitted light for the licence plate.

6. Keiron

Keiron Member

Guddau Paulp,

I have exactly the same problem- especially if its teaming rain and foggy... I am looking at LED strings(weatherproof) to surround the number plate. I have a call out for the service manager in Melb( Nathan) re the current rating for the reversing light circuit so I don't do a tim-the-toolman-taylor and blow the fuses.

7. Miggy

Miggy Member

This should be fixed by Tesla not an add-on, one small reversing light on the left hand side is not good enough. Other drivers may miss that you are reversing and if you are revising at night and can not see this is a concern.