Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S revisions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a list of revisions / changes made on the Model S over the lifespan so far? Right now I know some early models have the 'Type A' battery that apparently can't take advantage of the 120kw SC rate. Is there a place where people are keeping track of other changes that have been made? This would be really useful for someone considering buying a used or loaner car. Thanks!

Is there a list of revisions / changes made on the Model S over the lifespan so far? Right now I know some early models have the 'Type A' battery that apparently can't take advantage of the 120kw SC rate. Is there a place where people are keeping track of other changes that have been made? This would be really useful for someone considering buying a used or loaner car. Thanks!

I would also be interested in seeing that.

Nose cones on founders and some sigs
Handles for cars below VIN 3000 ( I think someone can confirm0
Rear seat latch- some May production
Adding parking sensors- august
Adding 19 turbine wheels- august
Cracking Wind shields - early car issue
Early 12v batteries- would die
no longer lowering car at highway speeds- december
Chrome to plastic in rear hatch lid thing- fall
Type A vs. Type B batteries
Added red brake calipers for P+ - fall
Heated cloth seats - 2013 model
Power folding mirrors - fall

I'll add more as said or thought

I had started a thread in a similar vein some months ago, but it did not gain much traction. Some of the "revisions" I was thinking of had to do with the price changes and content changes. For example on or around 8/1/13 they changed the base pricing on the P85 (down) but made some previously standard or no charge options extra cost. So effectively someone who purchased a P85 or P85+ before that date would have those extra options automatically, whereas a car ordered after that might not have those options or would have a much higher sticker price to get them.

Nose cones on founders and some sigs
Handles for cars below VIN 3000 ( I think someone can confirm0
Rear seat latch- some May production
Adding parking sensors- august
Adding 19 turbine wheels- august
Cracking Wind shields - early car issue
Early 12v batteries- would die
no longer lowering car at highway speeds- december
Chrome to plastic in rear hatch lid thing- fall
Type A vs. Type B batteries
Added red brake calipers for P+ - fall
Heated cloth seats - 2013 model
Power folding mirrors - fall

I'll add more as said or thought

I must have missed it @_@ The new cars with cloth seats dont get heated any longer??? @_@ Glad I got mine last year. Though, would like the folding mirrors and parking sensors :( But those heated seats are a 100% must have in this car for winter driving.

Here are a few from the touchscreen/firmware updates over the past year:

Programming start times for charging
Programming % of charge on both touchscreen and phone app
Sleep mode reinstated
Front window defroster setting added on touchscreen
HVAC temp adjustments -- fan and A/C settings much improved
Touchscreen cleaning mode added
Navigation generally improved by offering point of view in addition to north-facing and has different fonts and real-time traffic is more precise
Wifi

My car has definitely improved since I took delivery in February (notwithstanding minor issues like door handles not retracting, but Tesla has addressed this by swapping out older model handles for newer ones).

Last edited:
A few that I did not see listed already:

Starting around VIN 5,000 -- changed rear bumper design/configuration for cars without rear-facing seats.

Sometime last summer/fall, rear-facing seats no longer have "pleather"-like material.

Starting around VIN 10,000 -- Rear, outboard seat belt slots/mechanism changed to eliminate early problems with non-smooth operation

Starting with VIN 21,270 -- Frunk is now shorter

Somewhere between VIN 6,000 and 8,000, the cup-holders changed to remove the "pinchers"

Door panel leather + knee pad leather texture changed from smooth to textured similar to the dash top

Plastic trim added to rear hatch sides on the upper, near the pistons, with additional seal strip

Seat position changed some, lowest position is a bit higher (just comparing my P~1k vin car w/ a loaner P car~13k vin)

new cooling pumps (no idea when it changed, with batteries maybe?)

front defrost vent change '13

A few that I did not see listed already:

Starting around VIN 5,000 -- changed rear bumper design/configuration for cars without rear-facing seats.

Sometime last summer/fall, rear-facing seats no longer have "pleather"-like material."

The cut-off is somewhere in the 5300s I believe (I researched this last year because I was just after 5000), but there were lots of reports late last year of Tesla still using the pleather in the seats, at least for some of the post-delivery retrofits for sub-5300 VINs. Are we positive that Tesla is using cloth and not pleather in all of the rear-facing seats?

The cut-off is somewhere in the 5300s I believe (I researched this last year because I was just after 5000), but there were lots of reports late last year of Tesla still using the pleather in the seats, at least for some of the post-delivery retrofits for sub-5300 VINs. Are we positive that Tesla is using cloth and not pleather in all of the rear-facing seats?

Well, I don't know where the cut-off is, but from first-hand knowledge, it was definitely before 5,467.

The all-cloth jump seats were first seen on the European cars. Not sure exactly what VIN/date that was. And I haven't heard much about the seats since that time.

I must have missed it @_@ The new cars with cloth seats dont get heated any longer??? @_@ Glad I got mine last year. Though, would like the folding mirrors and parking sensors :( But those heated seats are a 100% must have in this car for winter driving.

No the new cars with cloth seats are power/heated. It was the 2012 builds that were not.

I am not sure this is correct. I have a >26000 and I have no tow hook.

I guess we could say "some cars after 25400 randomly came with tow hooks".

At some VIN they probably all have the receiver for the tow hook and the recessed area in the frunk to store it. Some just did not get the hook for some reason. Strange.

Interestingly, you and I confirmed within a day of each other, I wonder how I got a VIN over 500 earlier than yours?