Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S RHD Pedal positioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could not have said it better myself. I drive an X5 and the brake is also so far away from the accelerator that you can't pivot your foot. It's perfect for two foot driving. I feel so out of control when driving with one foot. I can do it but I seriously dislike it. Funny how it is frowned upon but there are many states in the world that advocate and encourage it.
Dunno which part of Australia you or GregHudson are from (your Location doesn't say) but two feet driving of an automatic used to be illegal in Queensland.

When I drove a manual, left foot only ever controlled the clutch. That is how I was taught. An automatic does away with the clutch, so, no biggie, so long as there is somewhere to rest my left foot.
Have tried using left foot on the brake. Extraordinarily awkward, totally non intuitive, and basically I cannot drive like that at all. The clutch did not require fast movements so maybe, for me, a VERY right handed person, is the explanation.
I accept that if you are ambidextrous or left handed, it may be different.

Dunno which part of Australia you or GregHudson are from (your Location doesn't say) but two feet driving of an automatic used to be illegal in Queensland.
For the last 10 years I've only ever driven my smart Roadster (2 pedals) with both feet. I've never had a true automatic but this has an automatic clutch. Even though my other car has always been a manual, I've never been able to drive a 2 pedal car with only my right foot, like you Dborn it feels really weird!

There is actually no written rule stating that it is illegal (how will the police enforce it?). It's only considered a non critical error when going for your Ps (unless you do it three times then it is a fail). Also I'm from Queensland.

I don't try to convert people from one to two foot driving. Everyone is comfortable with their own driving style and as long as it is safe that is the most important thing. But I just think people should be more open to left foot braking. How many times has someone been in a parking lot and panicked and stomped on the accelerator and run over someone?

All of the arguments against it are only somewhat true for people who try it for the first time but if you have driven with it from the start there is absolutely no disadvantage I have found in three years of driving.

Each to their own I say. I never new it may be illegal. But I have often followed someone who has their foot resting on the brake pedal (brake lights on) and wondered where the liability sat if I was to run into them in an emergency stop, technically they have no working brake lights in this situation.

Each to their own I say. I never new it may be illegal. But I have often followed someone who has their foot resting on the brake pedal (brake lights on) and wondered where the liability sat if I was to run into them in an emergency stop, technically they have no working brake lights in this situation.
I always thought that was particularly stupid - just wasting dollars scraping brake pads off and burning excess fuel at the same time.

Yes, driving with your foot on the brake pedal is pointless and inefficient but its much easier to slide your left foot right from the foot rest to the brake than it is to lift your right foot up, back and left from the accelerator
Not questioning your preferred technique, but my accelerator and left foot rest are both on the same plane, and the brake sits forward of that plane. The brake is very close to the accelerator, but a lot further from the left footrest. (Design laws require the brake to sit mostly right of the seat centerline) Hence mathmatically I can't see how you comment about speed and distance could be correct?

Last edited:
Not questioning your preferred technique, but my accelerator and left foot rest are both on the same plane, and the brake sits forward of that plane. The brake is very close to the accelerator, but a lot further from the left footrest. (Design laws requie the brake to sit mostly right of the seat centerline) Hence mathmatically I can't see how you comment about speed and distance could be correct?

The way I drive, unless I'm on the highway, I hover my left foot about an inch or two above the brake pedal. When I anticipate braking, I rest it on the brake without pressing on it. Then I brake if needed. Then back to hovering. This way, I can't "ride" my brakes. So driving for me is more about pivoting each foot rather than completely moving it for braking or accelerating. So that's why I don't have the speed/distance issue because I don't need transitions.

The way I drive, unless I'm on the highway, I hover my left foot about an inch or two above the brake pedal. When I anticipate braking, I rest it on the brake without pressing on it. Then I brake if needed. Then back to hovering. This way, I can't "ride" my brakes. So driving for me is more about pivoting each foot rather than completely moving it for braking or accelerating. So that's why I don't have the speed/distance issue because I don't need transitions.

Driving a Model S is really one-foot driving 90% of the time because you can generally use regen to wash off the majority of your speed. Brake Pedal is only really required when you're coming to a complete stop or need to stop quickly. This makes the brakes last a lot longer, captures the max energy and when you get used to it, it's really awesome.

Driving a Model S is really one-foot driving 90% of the time because you can generally use regen to wash off the majority of your speed. Brake Pedal is only really required when you're coming to a complete stop or need to stop quickly. This makes the brakes last a lot longer, captures the max energy and when you get used to it, it's really awesome.
^^^I'm with bb07. I actually like the challenge of dropping off cruise and judging the approach to a junction without needing to brake. (Whilst having my foot hovering in case I do need to brake).

Last edited:

I also agree. Just stating my methods with other vehicles but I would be more than happy to do one foot with Model S. Also love the regen feature. Just hurry up and arrive already! Two weeks can't come quick enough.

... 2 foot driving s easier except I keep getting that '2 pedals pressed' alarm all the time.

This is perhaps my biggest complaint about my Tesla. That damn alarm is just way to sensitive. I use both feet especially when going very slowly and going between forward and reverse. It's much easier to control the car smoothly by using both feet. But the damn alarm goes off if both pedals are pressed even if only by the tiniest amount, an amount that otherwise has no effect. Please TESLA, give it us a little slack and don't issue the alarm unless there's actually a bit of pressure on both pedals at the same time.

This is perhaps my biggest complaint about my Tesla. That damn alarm is just way to sensitive. I use both feet especially when going very slowly and going between forward and reverse. It's much easier to control the car smoothly by using both feet. But the damn alarm goes off if both pedals are pressed even if only by the tiniest amount, an amount that otherwise has no effect. Please TESLA, give it us a little slack and don't issue the alarm unless there's actually a bit of pressure on both pedals at the same time.
Going from forward to reverse with version 7 no longer requires you to do any braking. The car manages that for you, and it's perfectly smooth. If you are going too fast the car won't change 'gears', so you won't cause any issues trying it out.