Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Ride Comfort compared to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good thread, but night and day compared to the Model 3 forum. In those threads they say the M3 is better to drive and a better car. It seems you like what you like and defend what you bought...the rule is test drive it.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
This is a good thread, but night and day compared to the Model 3 forum. In those threads they say the M3 is better to drive and a better car. It seems you like what you like and defend what you bought...the rule is test drive it.

Took me a year to conclude I didn’t like the Model 3 ride. I was concerned before I bought the Model 3 and did many test drives in a friends. I knew the Model 3 was worse (noise and firmness over bumps) than what I was used to when I bought it. It’s hard to measure how much worse it was. I thought I could live with it (and I could have). But decided I enjoyed a quiet smooth ride more than the riding on rails handling.

Took me a year to conclude I didn’t like the Model 3 ride. I was concerned before I bought the Model 3 and did many test drives in a friends. I knew the Model 3 was worse (noise and firmness over bumps) than what I was used to when I bought it. It’s hard to measure how much worse it was. I thought I could live with it (and I could have). But decided I enjoyed a quiet smooth ride more than the riding on rails handling.

I consider myself lucky for not buying a Model 3.

At one point I was very close, had the order filled out and almost ready to click buy. Somehow I stopped myself because of the same reasons. No matter how much I wanted a Tesla, I knew I wouldn't be able to live with one with such a harsh ride and noisy interior. While on the test drive with one, I kept telling myself it's not that bad... but it was.

Even my S is noisier than I was hoping, but it's much better and will definitely keep me excited until something really quiet comes along (I know the e-tron is the king of quiet and smooth ride at the moment but I'm not getting an SUV, never liked them).

The Model 3 is not so much a rough, ride, but a sporty ride. It does not ride like an economy car with floppy suspension, but more like a European sports sedan. The 3 handles great, and this requires a kinda stiff ride.

The Model S is a different world, It is tuned to provide a lush Grand Touring ride. It handles well, but not have the hard edge like the smaller Model 3.

New Model S/X has the best of both worlds with the new Raven adaptable suspension plus air ride. Rides ultra smooth, but still handles the curves with precision. It is a larger car than the 3, so will not be as nimble, but the ride is superb.

The Model 3 is not so much a rough, ride, but a sporty ride. It does not ride like an economy car with floppy suspension, but more like a European sports sedan. The 3 handles great, and this requires a kinda stiff ride.

The Model S is a different world, It is tuned to provide a lush Grand Touring ride. It handles well, but not have the hard edge like the smaller Model 3.

New Model S/X has the best of both worlds with the new Raven adaptable suspension plus air ride. Rides ultra smooth, but still handles the curves with precision. It is a larger car than the 3, so will not be as nimble, but the ride is superb.

Correction. Model 3 is a noisy, sporty ride. Noisy as in like an economy car. I don't think noisy is a requirement for a sporty ride.

Reactions: matt_net_zero
The Model S 90D with air suspension and 19s:
- Will have a more comfortable ride quality on bad city streets compared to Model 3.
- Will be quieter at highway speeds compared to Model 3.
- Will have more back seat space and more storage space and fresh air from pano roof will be awesome compared to Model 3.

First two points are debatable, here on a Model S owners forum most people will tell you the S is better. Just ask the question on a Model 3 forum, you could be surprised... Best is trying both! Only problem is it's not so easy to test a 90D and new cars have an upgraded suspension.

But, on the last question, there is no debate. Storage space is huge on the S. Regarding back seats, I tried both. I'm 6 feet high, and my head is stuck against the roof when seated normally in the 3, absolutely not in the S. By the way, this last point makes the Model 3 a very poor choice for taxis... And may make the Y a winner.

First two points are debatable, here on a Model S owners forum most people will tell you the S is better. Just ask the question on a Model 3 forum, you could be surprised... Best is trying both! Only problem is it's not so easy to test a 90D and new cars have an upgraded suspension.

But, on the last question, there is no debate. Storage space is huge on the S. Regarding back seats, I tried both. I'm 6 feet high, and my head is stuck against the roof when seated normally in the 3, absolutely not in the S. By the way, this last point makes the Model 3 a very poor choice for taxis... And may make the Y a winner.

I don’t think there is any debate that just about any Model S will be quieter than a 3. I was convinced after getting a loaner S85 I was tired of the Model 3 ride. And regarding ride quality (firmness and handling) that is a personal trade off and I’m sure anyone would love the option to flip a switch to swap to the other side. You get close to that with Raven but not quite. I imagine a Performance Model S with 21” wheels handles fairly well but still not as nimble as a 3P+.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Can 'confirm' I went from air suspension 2013 S to a Model 3. lasted 6 months before I got into a Model X. The ride was 90% of the reason... the 3 is too damn bouncy. S rides like a couch. as does the X.\
When I drive my wife's 3 is when I really appreciate the suspension in my X.

• Helpful
Fair point. Not happening in the immediate future would be a more accurate statement.

Elon needs to be careful.

He doesn't want to kill current sales and make people wait for new options nor does he want to lie. Either way it's a lose lose situation.

Agree, unlikely immediate.

I'd have to wonder how much the dynamic air suspension would help on road noise on model 3/Y.

One of these days I might run some sound measurements on Comfort vs Sport on the Model X.
It definitely feels better around town on Comfort. Not sure it makes much difference in road noise.

I'd consider a Model Y with air suspension for my wife if both ride and noise was substantially better than the current Model 3. And the only reason I'd want the Y is because it's a hatchback.

Last edited:
Hi All, in my quest to get an affordable used Tesla with the most comfortable suspension I have noticed that the forum threads are saying that the Model X has more harsh/bumpy suspension compared to Model S because the X is heavier and sits higher. Here is what I am seeing for best to worst ride quality.

SUSPENSION - MOST COMFORTABLE TO LEAST COMFORTABLE (without taking into account handling/body roll):
Model S Raven adaptive suspension
Model X Raven adaptive suspension
Model S with air suspension
Model S with coils
Model X with air suspension or coils (feels about the same)
Model 3.

Smaller wheels and lower tire pressure and various tire types can help, but not dramatically.

Can't afford Raven, so I'll try to buy a used Model S with air suspension on 19-inch wheels from Tesla with 4-year warranty, and then install the most comfortable tires I can.

Can't afford Raven, so I'll try to buy a used Model S with air suspension on 19-inch wheels from Tesla with 4-year warranty, and then install the most comfortable tires I can.

I'm in your boat, I don't want to pay over a certain amount for a Tesla or any other car. How are you going to grade "most comfortable tires?" Are you going to use something like TireRack? I was going to go with a M3 because of the latest tech and range, but I really like the MS style, comfort, and upgrades. Which one to choose o_O

I already have Model 3 LR with 18s. Best car I've ever owned by far, especially considering autopilot and speed. But SIGNIFICANTLY less ride comfort and more road noise compared to my last car, a 2001 Lexus GS430 V8. Looks like my only option for $50K or less fast EV with quiet comfortable interior with 3-year+ warranty is 2016 Model S with air suspension, and I will just need to accept the slow MCU1 screen, poor rear visibility, and smaller view out the front windshield compared to Model 3. After 18 months the bumpy ride of the Model 3 still bothers me (in Los Angeles, but not in cities with newer streets). In terms of getting quiet tires with comfortable sidewall (and lower handling performance) for Model S, I will rely on forum threads.

Looks like my only option for $50K or less fast EV with quiet comfortable interior with 3-year+ warranty is 2016 Model S with air suspension, and I will just need to accept the slow MCU1 screen, poor rear visibility, and smaller view out the front windshield compared to Model 3

I had the same predicament and having driven the S for about 3 months now, I can say that honestly none of the 3 things you mentioned aren't bothering me in any way. I feel the MCU1 works just fine for what it needs to do while driving, I'm fine with rear visibility (haven't had the need to turn on the rear view camera while driving) and the view up front, for me it's fine, but yes, it's smaller compared to the openness of the 3.

What I do miss is an even quieter interior (working on it, will soundproof it properly) and blind spot monitoring (got used to being a bit more careful and looking around. Also not feeling bad since in the newer S and 3 it's still crap).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Bit of philosophy here…

Firm and “sporty” ride is an acquired taste. At first it just seems rough and harsh. Then, once you get used to it, that feeling of precision and being connected to the road can be almost addictive. On the other hand… Even if you are used to it, driving long distances in such a car can become tiring. If you just want to get from A to B in comfort, a soft ride is better. So, people are always going to have different preferences on this subject, and there will always be different cars catering to them.

Myself, I’ve gone through three sports cars in a row, and I loved them, but I feel like maybe I‘ve had enough of that. Now I want something that will let me relax as I travel.

The adaptive smart suspension is something I’ve never had in a car yet, so I’ll be very interested in finding out how that works for me. From what I have heard, it does smooth very well. Reports on the sporty setting seem more mixed. But okay, it’s understood that the Model S is never going to be a real sports car as such.

• Helpful