Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Ride Comfort compared to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If buying an S get a 2016.5 or newer refresh. During the refresh update the car had may components upgraded other than the relatively small number of visual updates. Many people put too much importance on the air suspension and if it will come to the Model 3. A well tuned spring suspension car can ride as smooth as an air suspension car but simply will not have adaptive abilities unless it has adaptive dampeners which is another separate possibility. Simplicity is a good thing and is often overlooked. At one point we had two Model S’s, one with springs and one with air-ride, both built within a month of each other, both with matching 21’s. It wasn’t really that noticeable which car was which from a suspension standpoint.

Firm and bumpy ride didn’t bother me at all when I was younger. I enjoyed that feeling of being connected to the road. As I get up in years, firm and bumpy ride is punishing to my body and back. I just couldn’t take it anymore with the Model 3. I was bracing myself every time I saw a bump in the road. I couldn’t be happier with the Model S. It drives like a dream and handling is still decent enough for daily driving.

Had one of the early Model 3 (VIN less than 5000), and have a 2016 Model S with standard suspension. Have driven S with air and adaptive suspensions.

My take: the early 3 had more road noise and a harsher suspension than my S with standard suspension. The standard suspension on the S is good when you have 3 or 4 people in the car, but too harsh when you are by yourself.

In my book, air suspension is a MUST in the S, but not without warranty. I hear there can be a variety of issues with the system, some quite expensive to repair. ($1800 strut, I was told)

The Raven adaptive suspension really takes the S where it should have been a long time ago. It’s noticeably smoother.

I would never want to pay for the sunroof (it came with the car, pre-owned). I rarely ever open it, since the AC is so good and I don’t like the wind noise. However, even when it’s closed, it makes a white noise and whistles at certain freeway speeds or when it’s windy. On longer trips, the whistle drives me nuts!

• Helpful
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
A buddy with a new Model 3 complains about the ride quality of his car and loves the smoothness of our Raven S in Comfort mode. He would have chosen the Raven S if it was within his budget.

The new Raven suspension really is that good and is 85-90% as smooth as my previous Lexus LS 460 with air suspension. Based on experience, I would rate ride quality in the following order:

1. Raven S
2. 2018 pre-Raven S with air suspension
3. 2018 Model 3 AWD
4. 2015 Model S 70 coil suspension

Surprisingly, the 2018 dual motor Model 3 had a better composed ride than an older 2015 S 70 on coils.

Last edited:
I’ve driven my friends 19 M3 LR and thought it was quite nice but it’s ride isn’t on par with MS from my experience. I have a 20 and the air suspension is great. We moved to the MS from an S550 and the ride compared quite well. I’d say most of the difference is probably due to the much more opulent luxury of the Mercedes Benz interior. However in exchange we’re having a blast driving around in the Tesla. Electric driving is quite addicting as I’m sure many of you have come to realize.

Last edited:
Long story short, if you’re coming from any car with a sporty suspension, the MS will be much smoother and more comfortable if it has air suspension.

Also, if you’re coming from a car with sporty suspension, running the 21” rims on the MS will still feel very comfortable in comparison lol

I find running the 19” rims in the winter to be a bit too soft personally, and I already have LM32s which are performance oriented winter tires with stiffer sidewalls.

I used to love the coilover bounce, but as I got older, it began to wear on me. I have a weekend track car (S2K) that has teeth rattling track suspension and I can only drive it for a day at a time before I need to take a break from it for a week.

• Helpful
I have a Model 3 SP with 19" wheels, it is definitely a firm ride and noisy on some surfaces. I don't find the wind noise bad at all. Where I live the roads are pretty smooth so the firm ride is not objectionable and the sporty handling is enjoyable. Road noise is an issue on worn surfaces, being quite loud. Surprisingly, the road noise quickly disappears on new surfaces and becomes very subdued. My other car is a
BMW 7 series with adaptive air suspension and 20" wheels. It rides much softer than the Model 3 and is quieter too, although there is still a fair bit of tire roar on worn freeways. The comparison is not apples with apples as the M3SP is a sport sedan and the 7 Series a luxo barge with decent handling. I've driven a Model S with air suspension and estimate if falls between the two in ride/noise, but I've not driven the Raven version. I enjoy the contrast between my two rides and when the BMW lease is up, will look seriously at the S or X to replace it. I can see where in areas with rough roads, the M3 might be too firm for some, but I'm enjoying the heck out of mine in local conditions - the acceleration never ceases to evoke gasps of awe from passengers who have no experience with a fast BEV!

• Helpful
That MCU1 will make you sad especially since u have a MCU2 car in your model 3.
Also MCU1's have a lot of problems especially with eMMC dying right around 3-4yrs, there is a big thread about it in the model S section.

I would avoid a MCU1 car unless its one hell of a deal.

• Helpful