TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Model S Roof Rack

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Elecktra70D, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Elecktra70D

Elecktra70D New Member

Mar 29, 2016
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Anyone have any recommendations on a good roof rack system for the Model S?

The whisper bar looks awesome. If anyone owns this please help with the following:

1) Did you install yourself and was it easy ?
    2) Does the system impact efficiency of the car ?
    3) Is it easy to remove when not in use ?

Trying to convince my wife to get rid of SUV and just use Model S with rear facing kids seats and roof rack.

2. Marcboy

Marcboy Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    1/ installed Myself. It took me 30 minutes, mainly to set the bars to the right length correctly, and understand what needed to be done.
    2/ Dunno, I don't notice it, but I am sure it does. It is noisy though, so i don't keep them on all the time. Not super noisy, but when your car is that silent, you end up noticing everything
    3/ Super easy. 5 minutes
  3. jskenney

jskenney Happy Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I have had the whispbar on the car since delivery (I bought the roof rack before delivery and they had it nicely installed for me when I picked it up), I have never taken it off. It does add a bit of noise, nothing bad though. It has to cause a bit of range reduction, but nothing too significant.

This is probably the best roof rack I have had.
  4. scot

scot Member

Jul 11, 2015
    I also have it installed.

It isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. The bars adjust width with a series of notches cut into the bottom of the bars. You need to evenly space the mounts on the top, this is clear in the instructions so don't worry. That being said, there is supposed to be a foam insert in the rails but I found that while there is it isn't very well installed. Use electrical tape to cover any exposed openings/notches left after getting everything aligned. That will at least reduce the humming to 70+mph.

Under that, there is a LITTLE bit of noise, but if you can cover a few other exposed areas with black electrical tape you can make it darn near silent as well below highway speed. Not true when a bike is mounted, but such is life.
  5. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

Jan 29, 2016
    United States
    Argh. They are on back order everywhere. Directly at Whispbar, through Tesla, at Rack Attack. Others don't have the right size. Whispbar says they will start shipping again some time in May. :mad:

I guess I'll just tape my skiis to the hood with duct tape...
  6. tomp

tomp Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Durham, NC
    Foam insert? This is the first I've heard of that. Can you expand?
    I tried making a 'sleeve' thing to fit over the mounts to reduce the noise, but was not successful. When I put the rack on next, I'll have to try out the electrical tape idea!