Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Roof Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any recommendations on a good roof rack system for the Model S?

The whisper bar looks awesome. If anyone owns this please help with the following:

1) Did you install yourself and was it easy ?
2) Does the system impact efficiency of the car ?
3) Is it easy to remove when not in use ?

Trying to convince my wife to get rid of SUV and just use Model S with rear facing kids seats and roof rack.

Thanks

1/ installed Myself. It took me 30 minutes, mainly to set the bars to the right length correctly, and understand what needed to be done.
2/ Dunno, I don't notice it, but I am sure it does. It is noisy though, so i don't keep them on all the time. Not super noisy, but when your car is that silent, you end up noticing everything
3/ Super easy. 5 minutes

I have had the whispbar on the car since delivery (I bought the roof rack before delivery and they had it nicely installed for me when I picked it up), I have never taken it off. It does add a bit of noise, nothing bad though. It has to cause a bit of range reduction, but nothing too significant.

This is probably the best roof rack I have had.

I also have it installed.

It isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. The bars adjust width with a series of notches cut into the bottom of the bars. You need to evenly space the mounts on the top, this is clear in the instructions so don't worry. That being said, there is supposed to be a foam insert in the rails but I found that while there is it isn't very well installed. Use electrical tape to cover any exposed openings/notches left after getting everything aligned. That will at least reduce the humming to 70+mph.

Under that, there is a LITTLE bit of noise, but if you can cover a few other exposed areas with black electrical tape you can make it darn near silent as well below highway speed. Not true when a bike is mounted, but such is life.

Argh. They are on back order everywhere. Directly at Whispbar, through Tesla, at Rack Attack. Others don't have the right size. Whispbar says they will start shipping again some time in May. :mad:

I guess I'll just tape my skiis to the hood with duct tape...

Foam insert? This is the first I've heard of that. Can you expand?
I tried making a 'sleeve' thing to fit over the mounts to reduce the noise, but was not successful. When I put the rack on next, I'll have to try out the electrical tape idea!
I also have it installed.

It isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. The bars adjust width with a series of notches cut into the bottom of the bars. You need to evenly space the mounts on the top, this is clear in the instructions so don't worry. That being said, there is supposed to be a foam insert in the rails but I found that while there is it isn't very well installed. Use electrical tape to cover any exposed openings/notches left after getting everything aligned. That will at least reduce the humming to 70+mph.

Under that, there is a LITTLE bit of noise, but if you can cover a few other exposed areas with black electrical tape you can make it darn near silent as well below highway speed. Not true when a bike is mounted, but such is life.

Reactions: supratachophobia
I just ordered my whisbar. Could save a couple hundred bucks using Rhino, but . .. probably not worth the effort.
I'm not familiar with Rhino, but the Whispbars are pretty nice. A couple of things to look out for on the install:
1. When you go to attach the bolts to the mount points, there are different instructions depending on when your car was manufactured. I think for you it will attaching be the long straight bolts with the hex wrench.
2. When adjusting the length of the bars, it took me a while to realize that you have to push in on the nut that you back out 10 turns to release it.
3. The required length didn't quite match up with the instructions, or with the video on the Tesla website. It was trial and error for me.

Good luck!

Anyone have any recommendations on a good roof rack system for the Model S?

The whisper bar looks awesome. If anyone owns this please help with the following:

1) Did you install yourself and was it easy ?
2) Does the system impact efficiency of the car ?
3) Is it easy to remove when not in use ?

Trying to convince my wife to get rid of SUV and just use Model S with rear facing kids seats and roof rack.

Thanks
Install was incredibly easy
Efficiency is 1% without load, 8-14% with two snowboards and two sets of skis at varying mph
Super easy to remove both the attachments and the rack

Other notes, do not buy anything but this. It will carry more than just sports equipment. Racks are cool and fun to stare at.

Foam insert? This is the first I've heard of that. Can you expand?
I tried making a 'sleeve' thing to fit over the mounts to reduce the noise, but was not successful. When I put the rack on next, I'll have to try out the electrical tape idea!
I don't have the foam insert! What is this you speak of? I cover up the inside with tape and a sleeve to cut back on noise. Is really like to 3d print a cover though for all 4 posts. Then it would be completely silent.