TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S rustproofing?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DTB, Apr 14, 2013.

1. DTB

DTB Member

Hello there,

i've been following this forum for quite a while but never posted. However, I'm looking for a specific topic and haven't found it so I'm jumping in with my first post...

Has anyone tried rustproofing their model S yet? I'm a reservation holder for now and looking at confirming soon. With the winters that we have in Qc (Canada) I was wondering if anyone had thought about rustproofing yet or if it's at all necessary. I'm planning to hold on to my MS for a while and therefore having to let it go because the Montreal salt rusted it would be very frustrating.

if there is a post on that already my please let me know but if not, any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The Model S is aluminium, what rustproofing would be required?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Aluminum will corrode in the presence of salt. There's lots of salt on the roads in QC.

4. Bearman

Bearman Member

In my experience with aluminium is that it wont corrode, everything on my boat is stainless steel or aluminium and it is drenched in salt water regularly. Aluminium will oxide on the surface to produce a protective layer that stops further corrosion.
    Also my dads A8 is clear of any corrosion while the steel cars here are usually perforated by rust, any bolt that's galvanized steel will get corroded heavily.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I drove the Land-Rover Series III for twenty years in Canada (not in Quebec though), but everywhere west of Toronto and no corrosion of the aluminium. I don't know if there was a special aluminium alloy that doesn't corrode, or if the aluminium needs to be next to certain other metals, or if there are sacrificial anodes that corroded without my knowledge.

6. DTB

DTB Member

Just found the followig thread thanks to your answers : Road Salt effects on the Model S

Just doesn't have the word rustproofing in it which might be why I never found it before. Thanks a lot for the quick replies!

7. znino

znino Member

DTB, you contacted me via PM but I tried to reply and got the message that your inbox is full and that you need to clear out some messages. Do that and I will answer you. this is the message i received when I tried to reply: DTB has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Znino

8. DTB

DTB Member

Will do! I also tried to reply here but apparently an admin has to verify my messages first... Hopefully this one will go through.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I took your post out of moderation a while ago. The server's threshold for putting posts into moderation is much lower until you've been a member for a bit. It twigs on certain keywords, links, etc.

10. DTB

DTB Member

Saw that. Seems all fixed now! Many thanks to you Doug_G and to everyone who was kind enough to answer my questions... You know who you are :wink:!

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Here's something that I just encountered - see Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 180

My car probably just has a defective part, but this one part is so badly corroded that it has cracked and bent.

If your car has experienced a Canadian winter it might be worthwhile to give it a quick check. Just pop off the plastic covers on either side of the frunk.

12. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Thanks for the heads up Doug! I saw your post in the other thread but didn't realize where those pieces were... Anyways I popped the covers off and mine look totally fine.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm checking mine this weekend. I had a look under the frunk over the lunch hour and assume the plastic pieces are the ones down each side and not the single piece along the windshield edge (that is the one I had off before to check my fuses).

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's great news. Hopefully it's just a one-off defect!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the side pieces.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Great. One more thing for the TSA to check for (although, I suppose mercury is a metal...)

16. Thumper

Thumper Member

So don't gnaw on your car with amalgam fillings !

17. kbeckley

kbeckley Member

Had a look at mine today. Drivers side is definitely corroded albeit not as bad as Doug_G. No cracking or anything. Car is going in for a service in a week. Will ask about it then. Picked my car up the same day as Doug (Dec) but driven in a slightly more benign GTA winter than Ottawa.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, GTA winters are a lot wimpier. I doubt there's anywhere in the world that is worse for salt corrosion than Ottawa or Montreal.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

They may be wimpier, but there not shy with the salt and liquid salt brine around these parts. Very little sand is used I believe because the temperatures we get in the GTA will still work with salt.