Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S rustproofing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aluminium doesn't rust but it can corrode. But I can't say if a rustproof protection protects from corrosion
AFAIK, there have been only a few cases of corrosion on the early Model S. What I recall is that salt created a battery-like condition on a couple.of unprotected areas, and Tesla replaced the corroded parts with redesigned ones. I haven't heard of any issues since.

AFAIK, there have been only a few cases of corrosion on the early Model S. What I recall is that salt created a battery-like condition on a couple.of unprotected areas, and Tesla replaced the corroded parts with redesigned ones. I haven't heard of any issues since.

Yes I had dissimilar metal (anodic) corrosion of the magnesium alloy front bumper carrier, at the points where the bolts hold it. The carrier actually corroded through and failed! They had protective washers but the salt in Ottawa is obviously rather more intense than the testing that Tesla did in California LOL. The bumper carrier was replaced, and Tesla did a minor redesign with different bolts and larger isolation washers.

Yes I had dissimilar metal (anodic) corrosion of the magnesium alloy front bumper carrier, at the points where the bolts hold it. The carrier actually corroded through and failed! They had protective washers but the salt in Ottawa is obviously rather more intense than the testing that Tesla did in California LOL. The bumper carrier was replaced, and Tesla did a minor redesign with different bolts and larger isolation washers.
The only salt in California is on the dining table unless you drive through the ocean along the beach the way that's seen in movies and TV. Even then I'm pretty sure that the ocean's salt is less concentrated that the road salt in Ottawa--especially if you use a car wash where the wash water is recycled.

Reactions: mrElbe
The only salt in California is on the dining table unless you drive through the ocean along the beach the way that's seen in movies and TV. Even then I'm pretty sure that the ocean's salt is less concentrated that the road salt in Ottawa--especially if you use a car wash where the wash water is recycled.

LOL. In all seriousness, Tesla does do salt exposure tests on their cars. They're just not as aggressive as driving on a snowy day in Ottawa.

Despite the fact the model s is aluminum, if you plan to keep the car for awhile, I would consider getting it krowned.
It’s the standard when it comes to rust protecting your ride during the Canadian winter months.
I’ve daily driven my 08 Miata for 10 yrs now. She has a flawless undercarriage.
The only places showing ever so slightly signs of minor rust are the wheel well lips in the rear. The rear of the car gets pummeled with everything. More so than the front.
If I were planning on keeping the car forever I would consider getting the rear wheel well lips sanded down and repainted. But she’s got 245k on the clock and there are a few things I would want to do to get her in perfect condition. But it’ll cost more than the car is worth. So I decided to drive her out till I take the plunge on ordering a model 3.

I lived in Morro Bay, CA during college and I was chasing rust spots in the finish all the time. Every nick in the paint developed rust. The problem went away when I moved to Seattle. I had that car for another 3 years and never saw any rust. Along the CA coast, especially north of Los Angeles there are frequent afternoon and evening fogs for about 8 months out of the year and since they come off the ocean, they have some salt in the fog.

As for aluminum, the alloys used in aircraft are formulated to be much stronger than standard aluminum, but the downside is they don't form the protective Al oxide layer pure aluminum and softer alloys form. As a result, aircraft aluminum needs to be protected. Bare metal aircraft have a layer of pure aluminum on the surface that oxidizes and protects the rest of the skin. The American aircraft industry pioneered this al-clad type of aircraft skin on 1930s airliners, and it was used on late WW II aircraft, but no other country adopted it until after the war.

The aluminum body panels of the Model S and X are either pure aluminum or a softer alloy, so there is little risk of corrosion from road salt. I don't know if Tesla used aircraft aluminum for structural members that need strength or steel. I know the frame the dashboard is built on is steel. In either case, those could be at risk from road salt corrosion.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe and jerry33
Although aluminum can be very corrosion resistant, one thing that can greatly accelerate corrosion of aluminum is salt. Not that we'd find any of that on our cars at this time of year...

IMG_6856.JPG

(Just got home... you should see what it looks like now...)

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
LOL, I didn't notice that. Of course I was freezing my butt when I took that photo, so it was a snap and run situation.

Why is it always blowing a gale when I visit Port Hope? It's like a wind tunnel when you walk by the drive through to get to the Subway/KFC.