TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Safety Rating

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Robert.Boston, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

From Exclusive Interview: Elon Musk Shows Cool Confidence About Tesla's Future
    This is the first time I've seen any Tesla official imply that the five-star ratings in all categories have been received. That's been the aspiration, but now it appears to be reality.

Or am I reading too much into one sentence in one interview?

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Probably reading too much. My guess is what was said was "aiming for five-star ratings in all categories", and the writer reported it incorrectly. Crash tests probably won't be finished for awhile longer.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Hard to tell with the "journalists" these days. They crank stories out, getting just enough information to sound informed in some cases. Could just be a misunderstanding. Though, if the betas were close (aside from the interior), I suppose it's possible. Would changing the interior mean you have to re-do the tests?

5. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Tesla made crash tests with alphas and reported that the result was that the alphas weren't yet that in all categories, but in most. The above *might* also mean that the betas now achieve results which correspond to five-star ratings in all categories, but those might still be internal (or unofficial?) results.

6. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Official crash tests will be done with beta 2 vehicles, produced in Fremont. The first vehicle assembly is under way, completing Nov 17. It is to debug production and assembly lines. Way to go for a crash test worthy vehicle to come off the Tesla Factory line.

7. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I see it as Mr. Musk saying when the Model S reach those ratings.

8. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi,

Just a month ago on October 2nd, at the Fremont event Elon said, "In fact, we believe the Model S will be the only car that will be 5-star crash rated in every category, without exception."

Beta Reveal: Intro & Safety (Pt. 1)

At about the 3:50 minute mark.

I believe that statement remains the current accurate position of the company. As was alluded to by Volker a production version, completely made in the factory, didn't start construction until October 17th, with an expected completion duration of about a month. So obviously production crash testing can't start before the car is built.

Larry

9. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

This sounds correct to me. I remember hearing/reading that official crash-test vehicles must be made the same way the retail vehicles are.

10. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

It's definitely not an official result, that will get a press releases when it comes (after actual production start July 2012).

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Further clarifications on the earnings call yesterday.

12. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

It's like subtitles translated to English from a bootlegged DVD from China.

13. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Indeed. Sounds to me like Elon's saying that they've smashed up 12 model S already in order to perfect their crash-safety design, and will smash up another 12 when the actual formal crash safety tests come.