Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S sales versus other large luxury vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S still leading the way despite the "basic" interior :) Quoting many others.
Still love that BMW 7 series though. But Tesla is the only one I would spend so much on a car for.
Thanks for the numbers .....again.

I would never have dreamed of paying more than around $45K (in 2016 dollars) for a car and around $35K was what I was comfortable with. Part of me still doesn't believe I paid what I did for my Model S, but any regrets I do have go away when I drive it.

Prior to the May numbers, just thought I would show a comparison of how Tesla has done versus Daimler and BWM over the last 4 years. Throwing GM in just for fun since their lunch is being eaten by someone too.

1% of the U.S. light vehicle market of ~17,000,000 per year is 170,000 units, or about 14,200 cars per month. Daimler and BMW are both down about 1% U.S. share since November 2013. Say $60,000 per vehicle, so $60,000 * 14,200 = $825,000,000 per month lost revenue in the U.S. compared to 2013.

Table shows each companies % share of U.S. light vehicle sales:

ussales_zpsrtkkbtiw.jpg

Reactions: ElectricTundra
Daimler and BMW are both down about 1% U.S. share since November 2013.

I don't think that's an accurate reading of that chart. There are some clear monthly peaks for BMW & Daimler, near year end. Comparing November to November is more accurate. Nov 13 is the highest peak in that timeframe for Daimler so it's not accurate to compare that peak to a month which is historically 1% lower anyway. If you look at the Daimler Jan - May numbers for 2014 vs 2017 it's virtually the same. BMW does seem to be clearly down, though.

X is picking up the slack. Sedans just aren't as popular right now but I expect the S to continue its poaching of other large luxury sedan buyers. I expect the chasm between ICE and EV will only increase if Tesla manages to deliver FSD.

I'll reply to the comment from the X thread.

The Model S thread is showing some scary numbers.

Its pretty simple. The Audi's are all getting old and new ones are coming.

New A8 is already getting promoted:

As already posted the 6-Series was changed and now is more like a Model S rather than a coupe. So the one sold also isn't the newest.The 7-Series was launched last year so it makes sense that sales would drop after the people who waited for it go it.The 8-Series will probably be somewhat of an replacement for the 6-Series.

As far as the S-Class goes the facelift will hit the market next year with the new Drive Pilot and so on so again it makes sense that many people wait for that.

Panamera is probably up, because the new one is finally hitting the dealerships, No idea what the non-Germans are doing.

So overall product cycles have the biggest impact in my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have to admit thought Mercedes had this luxury segment locked down, but the new A8 is probably going to appeal far more to a younger tech enthusiastic audience. Far more competitive with a Model S. Not to mention this will probably find its way into the A6 in the new generation next year.

Audi-A8-D5-2017-Alle-Infos-1200x800-2d66c31d74280b0b.jpg

I have to admit thought Mercedes had this luxury segment locked down, but the new A8 is probably going to appeal far more to a younger tech enthusiastic audience. Far more competitive with a Model S. Not to mention this will probably find its way into the A6 in the new generation next year.

Audi-A8-D5-2017-Alle-Infos-1200x800-2d66c31d74280b0b.jpg
Is that the production interior of the new A8? If so - yes, I prefer its aesthetics to the current MBZ offerings. Definitely a cleaner look. For what it's worth I'm 39, California based and like minimalism, modern architecture, etc.

Is that the production interior of the new A8? If so - yes, I prefer its aesthetics to the current MBZ offerings. Definitely a cleaner look. For what it's worth I'm 39, California based and like minimalism, modern architecture, etc.
Yes.Really seem like the strongest Tesla contender for people who like this style. Panamera is probably the 2nd closest.