Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S sales versus other large luxury vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think that the masserati is the new top dog luxury car in my area(denver) and that infiniti g37x and q50's as well as the new alfa romeos are the NEW bmw in this area as well. Mercedes are history as are bmw's and audi's here. Noone looks twice at the beemers/audi's or mercedes. The masserati gets a 2nd and 3rd look and the 4 door sedan looks vert tesla like(the front end a bit like the pre refresh with the oval grill).
Even the lines on both sedans look alot alike.

So masserati are the new porsches status symbols while the audi and beemers and mercs have been replaced by infinities and alfas.

i agree with that. Hate the whole legal pot thing here. But these are just what i notice locally.
A ton of infiniti g35/37 cars new which are as common as bmw 3/5 series here.
Alfa romeo new cars and new masserati are rare and people stop to look at them.
Porsche cayanne/panarama is fairly common here and rather blah looking and people dont look twice.Same with audi a4/6/7/8 whatever are common and rather blah as well and look like bmw's to most people. They were cool 10 years ago maybe and a status symbol then but now are the new yuppie mobile. Remember when bmw was the drug dealers car 25 yrs ago..as was mercedes?? Now the mercedes look generic and american looking-there are a few sleek trick ones and an AMG here and there that look nice but overall they are blah. Lexus IS AWD cars with huge grills are gross..and the acura tsl cars are few here and generic.

Dont hate on me because you have one of these cars. Its not personal. The tesla makes people look and and think as would a delorean now because here in denver they are not as common as they are in cali or as common as audi/bmw/lexus/infiniti here.

Just my observations. Many of the cars i mention resemble generic american cars. Even the hondas and toyotas and nissans of late look pretty generic.

While the inside of the model s may not have frills its the tech that you are buying into and the design is cool enough to set it apart. The x not so much and i see a ton more x here then s.

If you look at the rest of that list, you will see the companies that are also the mainstream car companies most serious about developing long range BEVs. That chart explains why. They see Tesla moving down market and it freaks them out.

You nailed it in the head. Tesla's modus operandi is to attack margin from the top down. Large lux sedans, luxury SUV and now small/mid sized sedan. Roadster fits that mold as well. Semi in the other hand seems to be a real attack on oil companies and diesel more then a specific competitors margins. Now a pickup truck on the other hand.. the biggest selling vehicles above $50,000 by far are pickups and they range in price up to $100k+. Now my working theory is that the semi is in part a play to gain credibility with truck owners who are notoriously gear heads who care about things like towing capacity and storage space and generators or in this case running tolls of the main pack. That's why Cummins makes motors for pickups. It's all about the street cred as it's not like Dodge couldn't make a powerful engine.

Model%20S%20December%202017_2_zpsfgyivijw.jpg

Looks like one can make the following statements. The luxury sedan market is definitely shrinking, at least for the vehicles shown here. And the rate of decline is increasing:
2015: 99,198
2016: 92,676
2017: 78.675

Tesla has increased market share over time:
2015: 25.4% derived from 25,202 / 99,198
2016: 32.3% derived from 29,890 / 92,676
2017: 34.4% derived from 27,060 / 78,675

The biggest loser here is the S-Class:
2014: 25,276
2015: 21,934
2016: 18,803
2017: 15,888

RT

CLS (The Model S's real competition) has overtaken it. Interesting.
These updates are great but you really have to wait until the quarterly numbers to get whole picture. Also, these see US only and Tesla tends to direct cars overseas at certain times to take advantage of situations occurring around the world. Beit expiring incentives, new markets or just long term pent up demand. For example, Tesla is growing faster in Germany right now then almost anywhere, but from a smaller volume then say Norway where Tesla is almost the most popular car in the whole country:

Tesla just became the most popular carmaker in Norway – where 32% of all cars are electric