Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S saved my life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Final update everyone. Progressive came through in a big way, giving me an ACV of $800 less than I paid, 10 months and 18,000 miles ago. They added $1k on top of that for the Reus stereo, which basically covered my deductible. On top of that I'll be keeping the $10k federal and state rebates as those do not need to be refunded in the case of a total loss, meaning I've actually made about $8k on the situation, factoring in interest I paid on my loan. This should help pay the likely substantially increased insurance costs on my nest Tesla. :)

I can't recommend Progressive highly enough. Everyone I worked with was very professional and communicative.

Thanks all for your support.

Last edited:
As of Sunday April 30, 2017 your frunk and facia with license plate 7TMUxxx (and a bunch of broken plastic) are still in the park on Grizzly Peak Trail. Do the right thing and clean it up. Thank you.

Had no idea as my insurance company told me the tow company recovered as many parts as they could find and I haven't been back since. I definitely am not trying to avoid doing the right thing. I should be able to hike out there later this week.

Any specifics as to where they are? The last time I was there the area immediately around the trail seemed totally clear. It's possible someone found the parts and moved them to the trail since I was last there.

Is it something one person could carry out in one trip?

Last edited:
I'll head out Friday after work. I'm without a car (ha) but renting a car for the weekend.
I was so impressed by your story, I'm willing to volunteer to help you move the remaining bits, if you'd like to have some help. I can either take you there in my new model S (if you promise not to conjure another deer into our path ;) ), or meet you there (would need precise location). I'm curious to visit the site of the incident. I am in West Berkeley.

We could take some plastic rubbish bags along for small bits, but would have to give some thought as to how to deal with the larger bits (bag and carry in back of my vehicle or yours? Don't want dirt and plant bits in my car, which doesn't yet have protective mats in back). The bags might have to wait until Monday to be taken to the Berkeley Recycling Center.

Last edited:
I was so impressed by your story, I'm willing to volunteer to help you move the remaining bits, if you'd like to have some help. I can either take you there in my new model S (if you promise not to conjure another deer into our path ;) ), or meet you there (would need precise location). I'm curious to visit the site of the incident. I am in West Berkeley.

We could take some plastic rubbish bags along for small bits, but would have to give some thought as to how to deal with the larger bits (bag and carry in back of my vehicle or yours? Don't want dirt and plant bits in my car, which doesn't yet have protective mats in back). The bags might have to wait until Monday to be taken to the Berkeley Recycling Center.

Thanks so much! I'll be there Friday at 5pm if anyone wants to meet up.

Isn't it amazing what a difference a positive and supportive response makes! If I wasn't on the other coast, your response would have inspired my to join and help!

Thanks so much for joining me today to recover what was left! It does appear someone found a bunch of the larger parts, and placed them by the trail. They are now gone, thanks to berkeley_ecar and his good friend Stephanie and her son. Great community effort! So wonderful to meet real people on this message board willing to give a helping hand. Because of you, I was able to recover all parts in one 1mi round trip, rather than 3.

Hope to run into you again!

Attachments

• 2017-05-02 17.42.21.jpg
    2017-05-02 17.42.21.jpg
    762.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5723.jpg
    IMG_5723.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5728.jpg
    IMG_5728.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Just wondering what would/should AP1 & AP2 do in this case if the they were in full control? Assuming they would go at a similar speed.
Interesting tale indeed and yes modern cars are damn safe. Love the final cleanup bit. If the initial result had not been as positive, I am not sure the final cleanup would have occurred :)

Just wondering what would/should AP1 & AP2 do in this case if the they were in full control? Assuming they would go at a similar speed.
Interesting tale indeed and yes modern cars are damn safe. Love the final cleanup bit. If the initial result had not been as positive, I am not sure the final cleanup would have occurred :)

The advisory (recommended) speed limit at that curve (black on yellow) is 15 MPH.
My guess: AP would have just come to a complete stop with zero drama.

Last edited:
Reactions: anonim1979
Thanks so much for joining me today to recover what was left! It does appear someone found a bunch of the larger parts, and placed them by the trail. They are now gone, thanks to berkeley_ecar and his good friend Stephanie and her son. Great community effort! So wonderful to meet real people on this message board willing to give a helping hand. Because of you, I was able to recover all parts in one 1mi round trip, rather than 3.

Hope to run into you again!

Thank you!