Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S screen going landscape mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, with the imminent interior refresh of the Model S, whenever that happens, I can't help but feel worried about what they're going to do with the center screen and binnacle - my guess: changing to a center screen in landscape mode and getting rid of the binnacle (perhaps adding HUD??). I believe the goal is to match the Model 3, and the upcoming semi, to allow the same UI across all Tesla models. It doesn't make sense running 2 different UIs, it's just nonsense, in the long term. In addition, there's the new HVAC system from the Model 3 that more than likely will come to the new model S. I actually don't mind the landscape mode, as long as they make it 17'' or 18'', to allow using the rear view camera and maps (for example) in one screen - something the current Model S does, but Model 3 doesn't. What I'm concerned about is how they are integrating the center screen with the dashboard on the Model S. I find the implementation of the 15'' screen on the Model 3 hideous and cheap, rather prefer the flush and neat integration on the Model S. I hope Tesla can do a better job with the upcoming interior refresh for the Model S, to differentiate from the Model 3. After all, the Model S is Tesla's flagship vehicle.

I think MS and MX are safe from the M3 screen. The new roadster has a the 21 inch screen based on the video I saw and more importantly the Tesla Semi uses two screens so it will be running a different screen layout too. It makes sense and is common to have smaller screens in sub premium models. I wouldn’t worry about it.

He was asking about the orientation, not the size. A large landscape screen simply won't fit or work as well as teh portrait orientation we're used to.
I think this is why @Lee B referred to the Next Gen Roadster - which has a portrait orientation. Thus showing that Tesla does not seem to be abandoning portrait on future vehicles as OP surmises.

Reactions: Joe F and croman
There was a rumor that Model S/X screen might go landscape in the interior refresh, but it was formulated (quite a while back) in the sense that Tesla was still deciding between vertical and horizontal. Haven't heard any details since.

As for the Roadster, may not be indicative of too much, things could change between now and its release.

That said, IMO a vertical upgraded screen in the new Model S/X interior remains a possibility too, of course.

In my opinion, the model s screen position and orientation is great. Here is what I want to see...

Make is faster and less sluggish. This feel like using my iPad 3 (remember that horribly slow iPad?)
Make the black darker so at night it looks sharper with true black. This is actually much more of an issue for the IC display, which seem obviously gray.

From a software standpoint, it's not that difficult to implement software that runs on different screen configurations - something that's been done for years with smartphone, computer and browser apps.

The difficulty is in retrofitting this into existing software - and hopefully Tesla's software team took this into account early on - and designed the software to adapt to different screen, processor and vehicle configurations.

We've had an S P85 for 5 years (VIN 3xxx). Every year, we'd see how new features were added to Model S - TACC, AP, power folding mirrors, parking sensors, removal of nose cone, center console, longer range, faster acceleration, dual motors, ... And, each time that happened, we'd briefly go through new feature envy. And then we'd get back to realizing we still had a fantastic car, never stopping at a gas station - faster than almost anything else on the road - with periodic software updates with new features - and stop worrying about the features that were added after getting our car.

We're in a period of rapid change in the auto industry - something they really haven't gone through for a while. New features will be added in the coming years - and the only way to ensure you'll get everything - is to wait until the market stabilizes again - and buy your car (Tesla or anyone else) then. But that'll mean you'll miss out on years of driving what's available today. This is typical for new technology introduction - like what happened when there was a rapid shift to HDTVs, DVRs, smartphones, ...

This year, we finally did hit our limit - and ordered our second Model S - a 100D - because the combination of over 300 miles of range coupled with the potential for EAP/FSD had crossed our threshold - and it was time for us to step up to the current technology - though we expect that our S 100D will start missing out on new features again - and that's OK...