Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Screen went dead, isn't this a recall item?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My screen on my Model S went dead. I had a recall notice saying this might happen so I'm not surprised. I took to Santa Ana dealership and they said this doesn't seem to be covered by the recall? Also, the replacement module they ordered is on backorder so I have no backup camera, radio, access to any settings, temp control, garage door opener, charging settings! They set a service appointment for a month out and as of this week, they still don't have the part and are not sure when it will get in? Do you know what I paid for this car??????

My screen on my Model S went dead. I had a recall notice saying this might happen so I'm not surprised. I took to Santa Ana dealership and they said this doesn't seem to be covered by the recall? Also, the replacement module they ordered is on backorder so I have no backup camera, radio, access to any settings, temp control, garage door opener, charging settings! They set a service appointment for a month out and as of this week, they still don't have the part and are not sure when it will get in? Do you know what I paid for this car??????
You can enter your vin to see whether you are on the recall list:

Remember, the recall only covers the eMMC (the memory) and nothing else. So if replacing your eMMC solves the screen problem, you are covered. However, if after replacing the eMMC and your screen is still not resolved, then you are not covered.

Anyhow, NHTSA says driving without your 17" screen is a safety issue so you should insist Tesla take your unsafe car in while waiting for parts and Tesla should provide you a safe car while waiting.

Reactions: Tezzie
This happen several times with my Model S touchscreen, and in the beginning it was incredibly unnerving. If it's NOT covered by the recall, it might be a random glitch. It's happened to me 4 times since I bought the car in 2018. What I've learned to do is pull over, put the car in park and restart the touchscreen.

They say you can drive while restarting the touchscreen but I've never done that. The car status display, safety warnings, backup camera, etc., will not be visible during the restart, so I only restart the touchscreen while the car is stopped and in Park. I have a little index card with me so I can remember the steps.

If that first level of restarting doesn't work fr you, there are two other levels of restarting shown in the link. If you don't want to proceed with the other level(s) of reboots yourself, you can make an appointment on the app for a service appointment for a Level 2 or 3 reboot and a mobile unit to come to your house and do it for free.

The crazy part is the NHTSA worries about all this other crazy random crap. When this has been an safety issue and continues to be one. Also knowing that people are still having crashes after the emmc replacement. Everybody knows the only true fix for this is a mcu2. Tesla will tell you that themselves. Tesla nor the NHTSA is doing what’s right here. I had my rear camera go dark while I’m backing up. No good. We need more pressure and complaints to the NHTSA about this issue.

Reactions: hill