Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S second hand market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hearing that all new orders for Model S are being advised of delivery delays to late 2021/early 2022 due to the model refresh.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I presume if correct that the second hand market for Model S might be reasonably solid for the interim period. Might have to give my P85D a nice pre-sale detail!

Yes it’s brutal. I was planning to get a new S this year.
Can sell my car in the meantime, but don’t really want to drive an ICE anymore. Will probably just hang into it. Will be the longest I’ve held the same car.

2014 Model S 85, delivered on December 29, 2014. No intention to replace for a few years yet.
Longest I have kept a car is 14 years, with an average of about 10.
I think the current drought of new Model S may slow the depreciation of used prices for a while, but I’m not expecting used prices to rise.

Is it customary to include (and therefore disconnect) the home charger with the sale or the new buyer to arrange their own via Tesla?

Considering Tesla themselves don't include wall chargers with new vehicles here anymore, I'd say it's unnecessary to do so. Just make it clear in the ad.

Especially if you're getting another Tesla, It seems like a bit of a waste paying an electrician to disconnect it them reconnect a new one. The cost of their time and callout would be a decent chunk of what a used wall charger is worth!

Reactions: mike_j and moa999
Considering Tesla themselves don't include wall chargers with new vehicles here anymore, I'd say it's unnecessary to do so. Just make it clear in the ad.

Especially if you're getting another Tesla, It seems like a bit of a waste paying an electrician to disconnect it them reconnect a new one. The cost of their time and callout would be a decent chunk of what a used wall charger is worth!
I had a Gen 1 (for my older Model S) and a Gen 2 on my wife’s Model X. When the 3 came I wanted 2x Gen 2’s so I could have Master/Slave mode....of course I want Gen 3 now as I’ve heard they can dynamically adjust the amps for those of us charging off of the sun that also have a PW2.....

Seems like people are asking big money for the performance and P100D model S right now but not really the older and base models. I was looking to upgrade my 2018 75D to a P100D while I wait for my plaid but not worth it to pay 90k more than the 90k I might get for my car. P100Ds were being offered on carsales for 130k 12 months ago and now prices are 180k to 250k for a 2019 performance.

As soon as the Plaid is announced for arrival in Oz, i can see the prices freefalling. And since the announcement of the Model Y, I don't think it's too far away, US deliveries for the S are a couple off weeks wait at worst and several in inventory.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tension
As soon as the Plaid is announced for arrival in Oz, i can see the prices freefalling. And since the announcement of the Model Y, I don't think it's too far away, US deliveries for the S are a couple off weeks wait at worst and several in inventory.
They haven't even exported any to China, which was up next, let alone Europe, two left hand drive markets. We haven't even seen a right hand drive prototype palladium yet. We won't see them till mid to late 23, if at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: moa999