TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Security System

Discussion in 'Model S' started by adurstewitz, Oct 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

Not sure if anyone else has posted this in the past, but I've been curious as to how Tesla plans to protect the Model S from being hacked. Given that there is no ignition system to hot-wire. I found this link (Federal Register, Volume 77 Issue 72 (Friday, April 13, 2012)) which refers to a remote immobilization system. Very interesting.

Model S P#3853

2. Thumper

Thumper Member

Nice find adurstewitz. Sounds safe enough. Thanks

3. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Wow. That's really cool. How did you come across this document? Should be good for insurance companies in some way.

4. adurstewitz

Honestly I was just googling the security of the vehicle. Being a tech guy I'm worried that the RFID or drive controller could be easily compromised and steal/modify the car.

Simply the fact that the car has an IP address is slightly concerning.

I would love to know more about how they intend to protect the vehical.

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

But if you knew, then so would everyone else (who cared), and the vehicle would be less secure. :)

6. adurstewitz

True (and I expected someone would say that), but some statements about the Bluetooth, 3G, RFID not having access to the sub-systems would be nice. However, now that I'm hearing that update are pushed without user validation makes me wonder what it would take...

7. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

adurstewitz - excellent find! I wonder if Insurance companies will treat this in the same way as a lojack and give corresponding discounts? Tesla isn't doing very much to publicize the security aspects of the Model S so it is possible insurance companies aren't correctly taking the full security capabilities into account.

8. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I think they start with nVidia's webkit pkg and then add things. That makes it roughly as secure as a mobile phone. ... which is pretty good.

Compared to other vehicle systems, I've no idea.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Any owner want to test this?

10. swengl

swengl Member

Has anyone heard anything about this recently? The last I heard, Tesla was going to hire some programmers specifically concerned with security, but nothing beyond that.

11. scottm

scottm Active Member

What does it take to hack your car?

One of two things:

1. Tesla's encryption key.

or

2. Your credentials (ID & password) that you use on your MyTesla site.

Get this, and you drive the car away. No alarms going off.

Guess which thing is weaker and easier to get and/or crack?

12. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I would welcome the option to configure a PIN that would be required in addition to the current authentication before the car could be driven.

13. scottm

scottm Active Member

You dont have to wait for Tesla to do everything. Splice a lockout box on the line for your gear selector. It could have a number PiN pad, or an RFID tag reader if you want it to be invisible. And there you have it, nobody can get your car into gear.