Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Security System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I was just googling the security of the vehicle. Being a tech guy I'm worried that the RFID or drive controller could be easily compromised and steal/modify the car.

Simply the fact that the car has an IP address is slightly concerning.

I would love to know more about how they intend to protect the vehical.

Honestly I was just googling the security of the vehicle. Being a tech guy I'm worried that the RFID or drive controller could be easily compromised and steal/modify the car.

Simply the fact that the car has an IP address is slightly concerning.

I would love to know more about how they intend to protect the vehical.
But if you knew, then so would everyone else (who cared), and the vehicle would be less secure. :)

True (and I expected someone would say that), but some statements about the Bluetooth, 3G, RFID not having access to the sub-systems would be nice. However, now that I'm hearing that update are pushed without user validation makes me wonder what it would take...

adurstewitz - excellent find! I wonder if Insurance companies will treat this in the same way as a lojack and give corresponding discounts? Tesla isn't doing very much to publicize the security aspects of the Model S so it is possible insurance companies aren't correctly taking the full security capabilities into account.

What does it take to hack your car?

One of two things:

1. Tesla's encryption key.

or

2. Your credentials (ID & password) that you use on your MyTesla site.

Get this, and you drive the car away. No alarms going off.

Guess which thing is weaker and easier to get and/or crack?

I would welcome the option to configure a PIN that would be required in addition to the current authentication before the car could be driven.
You dont have to wait for Tesla to do everything. Splice a lockout box on the line for your gear selector. It could have a number PiN pad, or an RFID tag reader if you want it to be invisible. And there you have it, nobody can get your car into gear.