Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Service Contracts - the poll edition(tm)!

Your opinion of the Tesla service plan announced in the blog post of 9/10/2012?

• Tesla really screwed the pooch on this one -- it costs too much and I'm canceling my reservation!

Votes: 34 12.3%
  • The price is high, it isn't a new model of service. I'll reluctantly pay because I feel I have to.

Votes: 131 47.3%
  • All things considered, it feels roughly in line with what I expected, and I'll pay for it.

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Tesla's service plans are a great deal and I'll happily pay it!

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand the smart phone app that tracks your car, turns on the AC remotely....doesn't even come with the car yet. Those features will come at some unspecified date. So we are paying for software upgrades that should have been included with the car in the first place.

I'm not talking about an android/iphone app. I'm talking about stuff like "creep" mode (aka mimic auto xmission), new stereo sound modes and who knows what else.

I think Tesla has a software architecture where a central software configured control panel can both control most pieces of software controlling the car and update those pieces as well. Suspension control software. Engine control software. Sound system control software. Navigation software. Climate control software. Sunroof control software. Power steering control software. Who knows what else.

I'm guessing all of it can updated by the central sw and all of it can be controlled by the central sw. (And if the central sw dies on the highway, the car keeps running.)

This is huge. No other auto manufacturer that I know of is set up to do this because their cars are controlled by individual pieces of independent firmware, often supplied by 3rd-party suppliers. I think Tesla wound up having to write a lot of this software themselves and decided they may as well as write the rest and tie it all together in a cohesive framework.

Personally, I think it's reasonable to pay for updates to this software that deliver significant new features if you want those new features. Tesla doesn't (yet) have the sales volume to build the support costs into the sales price. Microsoft can do it but they sell millions of copies of their software.

BTW, the Model S should not require brake pads very often becausae of the regen system.

From what I understand, the brakes had been an area of concern for maintenance/monitoring because they are not used often enough or excercised aggressively. I'm not sure if it is the pads or the other parts that cause problems. It could be a combination of both.
I understand that the brakes were improved in the Model S because of lessons learned with the Roadster.
Anyone have a details on this?

- - - Updated - - -

AAA provides emergency charging for EV's

Personally, I think it's reasonable to pay for updates to this software that deliver significant new features if you want those new features. Tesla doesn't (yet) have the sales volume to build the support costs into the sales price. Microsoft can do it but they sell millions of copies of their software.

I think it's reasonable to pay for software updates as well.....

....however, I don't think what's to come is truly an update.....the app, the door handle extension, the wifi....other tech package issues that haven't been integrated....whatever....

From a programming standpoint.....these are simple things to do on top of the immense amount of technology that went into this car....

Are you (figuratively speaking) telling me that Tesla can't get out these little gizmos by delivery?????

No....I think this is a planned integration....I think there have been a series of events after reservation holders have thrown down...after people have locked in....etc.....to release relevant information.

I mean just now the service costs are public????
Just a month ago or so the battery warranty specified????
no manual yet????

I don't call this a conspiracy....I call this bait and catch.....

Reading the service web page they are, again, taking the Silicon Valley tech company approach. Countering a previous poster's thoughts about bringing their laptop in for annual service, if you buy IT infrastructure gear (like networking equipment), you pay an annual support fee that includes access to tech support, software updates, and hardware replacement if something dies.

This looks to be a similar model. It definitely reads that the software updates, monitoring, etc are part of the annual fee.

To me the big kick in the teeth is the 12,500 mile thing. It should be a flat annual fee, regardless of miles.

I'm amazed that 13% of people at the time of this writing will cancel their reservation because of the service fee. Tesla must have thought about this before they set the pricing, you would think. I wonder if they really expected this kind of reaction.

They could have done several things to avoid this reaction, for example, give free maintenance for the first year, and more people probably would have been OK with the $600.

Be aware that Tesla's monitoring system is not the same as GM's Onstar, or MB's system or Lexus' system. All of those have been designed to automatically call the driver and/or notify rescue personnel if the system detects an accident has occurred. I asked Tesla whether their system would do the same and was told that it will not, and that they had no plans at that time (about 3 months ago) of adding this "feature".

Huge thread. Tesla done blown the lid off this thang!

A few thoughts.

Probably for some people this service plan is good.

Probably for some people this service plan is bad.

If anyone wants somebody to stare at their car and replace the wipers, I'll do it for a beer. Thats my service guarantee . . . :)

(parts not included, service subject to additional out of area fees, terms and conditions may apply)

They probably want to inspect the car each 12,500 miles. They should make it $600 per year then you have to have the car inspected each 12,500 miles. Not pay $600 every 12,500 miles. If that means extra ranger fee then you pay that.

Huge thread. Tesla done blown the lid off this thang!

A few thoughts.

Probably for some people this service plan is good.

Probably for some people this service plan is bad.

If anyone wants somebody to stare at their car and replace the wipers, I'll do it for a beer. Thats my service guarantee . . . :)

(parts not included, service subject to additional out of area fees, terms and conditions may apply)

Nice thought. I agree with you. Let's hope that Tesla is going to change attitude on Model S service plans in order to get many clients.

This may be a stupid question.....but if the Tesla service plan includes 24 hour roadside assistance....and a ranger visit costs $100 per visit.....how is that reconciled?????

The way I'm reading it is that for $600 (1-year) or $1,900 (4-year) all you get are the inspections. You drive to a service center. If you want Ranger service, it's $100 a pop extra unless you opt for the "4-Year Anywhere" plan at $2,400.

I think the Roadside Assistance is just subbed out to some third-party firm and operates like AAA. They throw that in as part of the deal.

Thoughts?

This may be a stupid question.....but if the Tesla service plan includes 24 hour roadside assistance....and a ranger visit costs $100 per visit.....how is that reconciled?????

Roadside Assistance is likely just like AAA where they'll pick up your car if you're stranded on the side of the road and your Model S won't start and tow it somewhere. They wouldn't try and fix it. They'd either tow it to a service center or your house where the Rangers would come and fix it.

I think the Roadside Assistance is just subbed out to some third-party firm and operates like AAA. They throw that in as part of the deal.

Roadside Assistance is likely just like AAA where they'll pick up your car if you're stranded on the side of the road and your Model S won't start and tow it somewhere. They wouldn't try and fix it. They'd either tow it to a service center or your house where the Rangers would come and fix it.

...this is what i was thinking....because the two juxtaposed offerings were seemingly incompatible.....

I'm with you there. I drive almost double that in a year. And I can hardly wait for the Canadian version of their pricing!

Read the fine print:

Tesla Service is important to keep your Tesla properly maintained. Prices are for North American customers only, do not include sales tax, and are subject to change without notice.

"Prices are for North American customers only." I am North American. I live in Canada. Therefore those are my prices, too.

No option on the poll for "I'm getting the car, but not the service plan".

Maybe someone has mentioned that already, but I don't feel like plowing through this thread like I did the last one :)

Unless Tesla can convince me of the value of a $600 inspection, that is how I'm leaning. I already have a roadside assistance plan and live 5 miles from the Tesla Service Center. In other words, aside from the inspection, what else would I miss out on by taking a pass on this?