Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s : should I take on this project ? Damaged and no keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there I am currently an owner of a 2015 model s and I came across a project 2013 85 with 45k miles which was hit in the front and has no keys with a salvage title Or Most likely no supercharging . Owner wants under 10k , car turns on while charging and the front end damage is definitely repairable. I don’t care for the salvage title, my concern are the keys. Anyone have any experience with getting keys especially for a salvage car through Tesla. Since I know they love salvage cars. Let Me know what you think. Thanks!

Under 10k you have nothing to lose really as you’ll easily make more if you have to part the car out. I don’t see why Tesla would be against selling you a key fob, but Tesla is known to be strange when it comes to part support.
I say go for it. Worst case scenario you part it out making more than you bought it for

Reactions: Saabstory88
Is there someone out there that can get a key to work for you?
Even if Tesla won't pair one for you.
Under $10k is interesting. People around here seem to think salvage value is usually at least $15k. In most instances, insurance totals the car and offers owner to keep for $X - which is the salvage value. Presumably, this person was given an offer of less than $10k and took it. Because if they paid $15k for it, why would they sell to you for $10k?
Whatever the situation, under $10k is a good deal.

If there are no keys, then how does the owner initiate charging? If by the App, then make sure the owner transfers the car to you via the web portal when the deal takes place. Then you can at least use the car via the app (start, unlock, condition etc) until it becomes road worthy enough to get it to a SC to get a FOB programmed.