Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S shut down at 32 miles, leaving me stranded - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s another thought - is there any possible way you had your range display set to “ideal” instead of “rated”?

I checked, it wasn't on "ideal" settings. Anyway, 32 miles on "ideal" should still have been 20-25 miles of "rated" range and not died on me.

Could easily be an MCU problem as well. Maybe try a reset if you see the RM's just hanging at the same number while driving a few miles.
I tried to reset using the steering wheel buttons when I saw the range not going down, and it still occurred. I didn't try a deeper reset, since I was driving.

For the $240 tow truck reimbursement, I couldn't get through to anyone at Tesla who could help by phone - Service center says they don't write checks, and to talk to Roadside Assistance, while Roadside Assistance says to talk to the Service Center. :mad: I've emailed [email protected] and [email protected] with no response so far.

Wouldn’t service handle this the same way they handle reimbursement for gas in an ICE loaner? They pay for all the gas you use I’ve given them receipts and a couple weeks later a check shows up. Maybe they can handle this the same way? I mean clearly there was an issue. You have a picture showing such with miles left whether it was a computer glitch that worked itself out after charging or not.

It's been an interesting read. We have 2017 MS 75 as well (AWD version though) and on the same software version now. Only been in the yellow area a few times in the past but with no problems.

So you had a $240 tow charge for going 1 mile to the Supercharger there?? Did you have to be flatbedded? Might want to think about AAA membership. Even with a Plus membership of 100 miles free towing ($91 for where I'm at in Calif/looks like $103 for Florida and up to 4 tows up to 100 miles each), you'd be better off than if you get stuck with a $240 bill. Plus if you take advantage of DMV services and other travel discounts you can get more out of the membership costs to help justify it.

Maybe. Something is still goofy though if your rated range had been saying 255 for some time. That’s just not right.
I apologize. I went back and checked on teslafi, my range at 100% charge was 244 miles. It was at 244 that I had the 25 extra 'ghost' miles. My rated range at 100% charge now, after the software update, is about 240.

So you had a $240 tow charge for going 1 mile to the Supercharger there?? Did you have to be flatbedded? Might want to think about AAA membership. Even with a Plus membership of 100 miles free towing ($91 for where I'm at in Calif/looks like $103 for Florida and up to 4 tows up to 100 miles each), you'd be better off than if you get stuck with a $240 bill. Plus if you take advantage of DMV services and other travel discounts you can get more out of the membership costs to help justify it.

Yes, the tow was $240 for only one mile, but the total time with the truck was at least an hour and the guy was really trying to help (jumped my 12v battery, etc), so I don't think it's an unreasonable rate they charged. The ironic thing is my car insurance (Geico) offers free towing (well, not exactly free, but included in my insurance cost already). But when my Model S died I called Tesla roadside assistance and they said they'd send a tow truck...give the circumstances, I didn't think it was my fault at all so I didn't expect to be stuck with the $240 bill :mad:

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and SMAlset
Now when I try to charge to 100% (at home or supercharger), my range is only going up to 226 miles, about 94%. Even if I manually take the charge level down and back up, it will start charging for a second but stop again at that max range. Is this normal, or should I be able to charge to 100%? Is this another software issue (preventing long-term battery degradation), or could this be a partly failing battery?

Attachments

• 226 max range.PNG
    226 max range.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
Thank you. I'm not sure what to do though. I brought it in to the service center and they said their tests don't show anything wrong with the battery cells. Should I bring it in again? What else would they do? Should I test it out by going down to 10% to see if it shuts down again, and force the issue? Or should I consider it could be a calibration issue and just live with 240 miles range (216 at 90%, and never letting it get below 48 miles/20%, so therefore I only have 168 miles in a day to really use)?

Sorry if this was already suggested, but escalate the issue to your regional service manager. I had to do this once and it yielded good results. Its ridiculous to blame you when you can so positively prove what happened. If Ford told a customer "sorry, your gas gauge showed 1/8 tank but you ran out, not our fault" - they'd get sued and humiliated in the court of public opinion. I've read so many posts about cars shutting down with miles showing on the battery I don't trust mine below 50 anymore. I don't take long trips often, but I always arrive at the supercharger with a big cushion. Tesla needs to figure this out. Best of luck to you.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and eruben
Now when I try to charge to 100% (at home or supercharger), my range is only going up to 226 miles, about 94%. Even if I manually take the charge level down and back up, it will start charging for a second but stop again at that max range. Is this normal, or should I be able to charge to 100%? Is this another software issue (preventing long-term battery degradation), or could this be a partly failing battery?
Another recently implemented software limit.
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Yikes. I guess I'll have to lug it in to the service center again. No one else has an issue where they can't charge beyond 94%? That's not normal? I tried searching the forums but don't see others like that.

No way that’s normal. “Good” news is now you have a new symptom to go back to the service center with. I’d love to see them argue that not being able to charge to 100% is “normal”.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and Rocky_H
No way that’s normal. “Good” news is now you have a new symptom to go back to the service center with. I’d love to see them argue that not being able to charge to 100% is “normal”.

They already did once, I swear. After the service center did the tests post-shutdown, and said everything looked normal, they put my car on their supercharger. It wouldn't go past 94%, despite hours of trying. I told them that really doesn't seem normal, and they said that's how it works now with superchargers, and that at home it will charge to 100%. Well, it didn't. What gives? With no other centers anywhere close to me, I'm going to have to try again with them....

Sorry if this was already suggested, but escalate the issue to your regional service manager.

I'd love to - how exactly do I reach the regional service manager? No Tesla customer service has responded to me, and when I go through the local service center I get nowhere.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
They already did once, I swear. After the service center did the tests post-shutdown, and said everything looked normal, they put my car on their supercharger. It wouldn't go past 94%, despite hours of trying. I told them that really doesn't seem normal, and they said that's how it works now with superchargers, and that at home it will charge to 100%. Well, it didn't. What gives? With no other centers anywhere close to me, I'm going to have to try again with them....

I'd love to - how exactly do I reach the regional service manager? No Tesla customer service has responded to me, and when I go through the local service center I get nowhere.
"That's how it works now with superchargers"? Good grief.

One thing that might be worth trying is talking to people at a showroom. They might know the name of the regional service manager. From that you can backwards engineer an email address to try. A reply is anybody's guess.

My experience and perception of this is that relative-inability to escalate is an intentional barrier. They figure you'll give up. Might be worth it to cc your AG office on some emails that reference your inability to get service.

Good luck.

(My car has been at an SC for 4 weeks right now. I was told I would get a call from the regional service manager. That was about two weeks ago. Crickets.)

With no other centers anywhere close to me, I'm going to have to try again with them....

Unfortunately yes. Or you will have to drive to the next closest one. I already have to drive about 1.5 hours one way to get to a service center and it is terrible, so I am considering trying one a bit farther away than that, crazy as that sounds. But if the other service center is actually a “good” one the extra time will pay off in fewer unneeded trips (much like what you are experiencing now)

Yikes. I guess I'll have to lug it in to the service center again. No one else has an issue where they can't charge beyond 94%? That's not normal? I tried searching the forums but don't see others like that.

I have a similar issue with my MX 100D!

I’m struggling for over 9 month now to get my issues resolved! Without any progress...

We had our Model X shut down with 12 miles of range left (less than a mile away from the Supercharger), had to pay for the tow truck and it wouldn’t charge past 94%!

I’m able to charge to 100% again but can replicate the issue.
If the car goes to sleep with a SoC below 20% it “loses” 6-7% while it sleeps (even if it’s just for 30 minutes) and I’m not able to charge it to 100% again.

If I charge it to +90% SoC, let it sleep again, it “gains” 6-7% when waking up again.

Since the shut down incident I lost 25 miles of rated range! And the charging speed at 50-65% SoC used to be 50% higher.
But the service center says “that’s normal”...

And it’s still an annoying back and forth still to figure out what’s the issue with the lost/gained rated range, not being able to charge to 100% (if replicated) and the much lower charging speed at the Supercharger...

I hope we can find a way to get this resolved “soon”!

BTW I used to go to the Orlando SC as well, but they are totally clueless! I started to drive down to the Dania Beach one which is a much better experience (with other issues) but the told me “there is nothing wrong with my battery” as well (so far).

I have a similar issue with my MX 100D! I’m able to charge to 100% again but can replicate the issue. If the car goes to sleep with a SoC below 20% it “loses” 6-7% while it sleeps (even if it’s just for 30 minutes) and I’m not able to charge it to 100% again. If I charge it to +90% SoC, let it sleep again, it “gains” 6-7% when waking up again.

And it’s still an annoying back and forth still to figure out what’s the issue with the lost/gained rated range, not being able to charge to 100% (if replicated) and the much lower charging speed at the Supercharger...

Wow, you're the first person I've seen with a similar issue. Interesting that it's on an X100D, while I'm an S75. Very intriguing that you can replicate the issue by following that charging/discharging sequence - I will try to do the same to see if I always have a limit or if I can get to 100% again.

FYI, I have not noticed any lower charging speed at home or at a Supercharger, but I haven't been paying too close of attention. Also, Dania Beach is more than 3 hours from me. Tampa service center is the next closest after Orlando, but more than 80 minutes away, so no easy way to get back and forth. But I might have to bite the bullet...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The range loss/gain ONLY happens while the car is sleeping.
Never if it’s just idling. Even if it’s for hours!
And happens only if the charge is above 90% or below 20% SoC!

We had so many issues with the Orlando and Tampa SC that I rather drive the 3 hours than dealing with the local SC!
We always get our Tesla loaner and most of the time the car back within the same day! Dania Beach is such a nice experience...