TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Sig #8xx - Serious Offers Only!

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by modelssig8xx, May 31, 2012.

  1. modelssig8xx

    modelssig8xx Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    I am interested in entertaining offers from interested buyers of my mid-800’s Model S Signature reservation. Please contact me at [email protected] if you would like to make an offer and/or propose how we’d execute such a transaction. Serious candidates only please! I have outlined some additional details and requirements below.

    Why am I doing this? My company has assigned me to work in South America for the rest of the year. I’ll only be back in the US on a couple of occasions, so it doesn’t make sense for me to receive delivery of a Sig in August or September. I also have a production reservation that will result in a 1st quarter 2013 delivery and that timing works much better given my schedule.

    How much am I asking? I’ll consider accepting the best offer that results in the lowest risk and highest return for me. Don’t even consider making an offer that doesn’t include an up-front, non-refundable deposit of at least the entire Sig deposit amount.

    How should offers be structured? Take the total cost of your desired configuration, add estimated California taxes, add estimated delivery fees, add the mark-up % you are willing to offer. Don’t subtract the tax credits for federal or state, as I won’t qualify since I’ll be reselling the car to you. Propose a payment schedule that will include a pre-configuration component and a pre-delivery component. The entire amount must be paid to me prior to delivery.

    Keep in mind that I am looking at both risk and return. A lower risk, lower return offer may be more attractive than a higher risk, higher return offer.

    Once I’ve established that you are a serious candidate, I’ll provide confirming documentation of the exact reservation number and any other information you need to be comfortable with the transaction. We can also move our dialog to my personal email account at that point. I’ve established the gmail account because I anticipate some amount of crack-pot respondents.
     
  2. TEG

    TEG TMC Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2006
    Messages:
    17,249
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    It is yet to be seen how well trying to sell a wait-list spot works out...
     
  3. NigelM

    NigelM Recovering Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Messages:
    13,257
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    Let's see.....he wants a $40,000 deposit which he says upfront will be non-refundable and he's about to leave for South America. His deposit with Tesla is refundable of course.

    I'm sure it's kosher but just sayin'......
     
  4. strider

    strider Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2,918
    Location:
    NE Oklahoma
    To Teg's point, I'm sure the "seller" will take delivery (configured to the "buyer's" specs I assume) and then transfer it to the "Buyer" so Tesla won't be involved. But yeah, make sure to use an escrow company to hold the cash until the car is delivered.
     
  5. dsm363

    dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    Messages:
    18,235
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    The only way you'll make this work is to pay a third party to hold the money and facilitate the car delivery and transaction. Good luck.
     
  6. Tommy

    Tommy Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    Messages:
    880
    Location:
    The great OC
    What's wrong with just letting the Signature spot go back to Tesla? You would make someone very happy and avoid all the entanglements and headaches in the name of making some extra money.
     
  7. modelssig8xx

    modelssig8xx Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    I recognize this is not a simple proposition. I'm wanting to protect my interests and I'm also aware that a buyer needs to protect their interests as well. Obviously the car would be built to the buyer's configuration specifications. My concern is being stuck with a different buyer's config if they back out.

    An escrow option works fine for me. I'd propose a similar option if I was on the buyer side of this transaction. I have a lawyer who can write up a more detailed contract.

    Don't get me wrong. The easiest option for me is to simply roll my sig deposit into my production reservation. That is the most likely scenario. If a mutually beneficial transaction can be agreed upon, then that's good news for both sides. If not, no skin off my nose. I'll just get my production reservation.
     
  8. Lloyd

    Lloyd Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Messages:
    4,883
    Location:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Also both parties loose the tax benefits. Seller does not qualify as it is for resale. Buyer does not qualify as it is no longer a new vehicle.
     
  9. doug

    doug Administrator / Head Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2006
    Messages:
    15,913
    Location:
    Stanford, California
    How deep is the Sig wait list? What value can one expect from a relatively late Sig spot?
     
  10. NigelM

    NigelM Recovering Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Messages:
    13,257
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    Add to that the attorney costs, the buyer has effectively paid a $10k premium even before the negotiation starts.
     
  11. NigelM

    NigelM Recovering Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Messages:
    13,257
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    250-ish I heard.
     
  12. Tommy

    Tommy Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    Messages:
    880
    Location:
    The great OC

    And I would imagine, states with EV credits would have similar restrictions as the Feds; indeed a hefty upfront premium even before the negotiation starts.
     
  13. modelssig8xx

    modelssig8xx Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had no serious offers yet. One enquiry, but it wasn't sufficient to balance the risk of ordering someone else's configuration. I'll either build for a serious buyer or cancel in 3 - 4 weeks. If you're interested, feel free to contact me and we'll discuss.
     
  14. modelssig8xx

    modelssig8xx Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    I've delayed my build, but can't for much longer. It pains me a bit to give up my Sig spot, but I won't be back in country until 2013. The timing is just bad. Email me if you want to discuss a transaction.
     
  15. VolkerP

    VolkerP EU Model S P-37

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    Messages:
    2,455
    Location:
    Germany
    There was a rumor that big money is buying into additional founder car slots. The according thread grew quickly, until GeorgeB himself stepped in an countered it. I think part of what made that rumor plausible to many is that there might be big money in search for a quick way to a Model S and the moral/legal judgement on that.

    OTOH multiple Signature slots where announced here for sale here in the forum but no reports of these deals coming to fruition. That is quite conflicting information. We'll see how your sale goes, sig8xx.
     
  16. modelssig8xx

    modelssig8xx Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    Thought I would give an update, due to the speculation and conflicting information regarding Sig reservation sales. I've delayed my build as long as I can at this point. I had a couple of inquiries, but nothing that progressed very far. I think the complexity and the risk associated with such a transaction makes it very difficult to execute. The risk of being stuck with someone else's build was certainly very high on my list of concerns.

    As a result, I'm going to cancel my Sig reservation on Thursday and roll my deposit into my production reservation. If I wasn't working out of the country, I would have definitely kept my Sig. However, moving to production does allow me to look at alternative color choices and lets me upgrade to a performance model. :biggrin:

    The delay in delivery will be about 4 - 5 months. However, it won't be too painful, because I'll be out of the country for 2 of those months.
     
  17. dsm363

    dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    Messages:
    18,235
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for but I think you'll be happy and you've made someone on the waiting list very happy. Good luck abroad.
     
  18. brianman

    brianman Burrito Founder

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    15,487
    Shall we start taking bets on when we'll see an "OMG, I just upgraded to Sig" post? ;) I'll take 07/27 3pm.
     
  19. NigelM

    NigelM Recovering Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Messages:
    13,257
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    ...followed by panicky speculation that if someone got a Sig upgrade so late that must mean Sig holders are changing their minds and dropping out because deliveries are late or they all know something we don't and is it just one or did we hear a rumor that it's in the hundreds and what does this all mean.....

    (Ducks and runs for cover.....:wink:)
     
  20. brianman

    brianman Burrito Founder

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    15,487
    Gratuitous out of context quote to get the ball rolling. :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page