Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Sig #8xx - Serious Offers Only!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in entertaining offers from interested buyers of my mid-800’s Model S Signature reservation. Please contact me at [email protected] if you would like to make an offer and/or propose how we’d execute such a transaction. Serious candidates only please! I have outlined some additional details and requirements below.

Why am I doing this? My company has assigned me to work in South America for the rest of the year. I’ll only be back in the US on a couple of occasions, so it doesn’t make sense for me to receive delivery of a Sig in August or September. I also have a production reservation that will result in a 1st quarter 2013 delivery and that timing works much better given my schedule.

How much am I asking? I’ll consider accepting the best offer that results in the lowest risk and highest return for me. Don’t even consider making an offer that doesn’t include an up-front, non-refundable deposit of at least the entire Sig deposit amount.

How should offers be structured? Take the total cost of your desired configuration, add estimated California taxes, add estimated delivery fees, add the mark-up % you are willing to offer. Don’t subtract the tax credits for federal or state, as I won’t qualify since I’ll be reselling the car to you. Propose a payment schedule that will include a pre-configuration component and a pre-delivery component. The entire amount must be paid to me prior to delivery.

Keep in mind that I am looking at both risk and return. A lower risk, lower return offer may be more attractive than a higher risk, higher return offer.

Once I’ve established that you are a serious candidate, I’ll provide confirming documentation of the exact reservation number and any other information you need to be comfortable with the transaction. We can also move our dialog to my personal email account at that point. I’ve established the gmail account because I anticipate some amount of crack-pot respondents.

To Teg's point, I'm sure the "seller" will take delivery (configured to the "buyer's" specs I assume) and then transfer it to the "Buyer" so Tesla won't be involved. But yeah, make sure to use an escrow company to hold the cash until the car is delivered.

I recognize this is not a simple proposition. I'm wanting to protect my interests and I'm also aware that a buyer needs to protect their interests as well. Obviously the car would be built to the buyer's configuration specifications. My concern is being stuck with a different buyer's config if they back out.

An escrow option works fine for me. I'd propose a similar option if I was on the buyer side of this transaction. I have a lawyer who can write up a more detailed contract.

Don't get me wrong. The easiest option for me is to simply roll my sig deposit into my production reservation. That is the most likely scenario. If a mutually beneficial transaction can be agreed upon, then that's good news for both sides. If not, no skin off my nose. I'll just get my production reservation.

Also both parties loose the tax benefits. Seller does not qualify as it is for resale. Buyer does not qualify as it is no longer a new vehicle.

Add to that the attorney costs, the buyer has effectively paid a $10k premium even before the negotiation starts.

And I would imagine, states with EV credits would have similar restrictions as the Feds; indeed a hefty upfront premium even before the negotiation starts.

There was a rumor that big money is buying into additional founder car slots. The according thread grew quickly, until GeorgeB himself stepped in an countered it. I think part of what made that rumor plausible to many is that there might be big money in search for a quick way to a Model S and the moral/legal judgement on that.

OTOH multiple Signature slots where announced here for sale here in the forum but no reports of these deals coming to fruition. That is quite conflicting information. We'll see how your sale goes, sig8xx.

Thought I would give an update, due to the speculation and conflicting information regarding Sig reservation sales. I've delayed my build as long as I can at this point. I had a couple of inquiries, but nothing that progressed very far. I think the complexity and the risk associated with such a transaction makes it very difficult to execute. The risk of being stuck with someone else's build was certainly very high on my list of concerns.

As a result, I'm going to cancel my Sig reservation on Thursday and roll my deposit into my production reservation. If I wasn't working out of the country, I would have definitely kept my Sig. However, moving to production does allow me to look at alternative color choices and lets me upgrade to a performance model. :biggrin:

The delay in delivery will be about 4 - 5 months. However, it won't be too painful, because I'll be out of the country for 2 of those months.

Shall we start taking bets on when we'll see an "OMG, I just upgraded to Sig" post? ;) I'll take 07/27 3pm.

...followed by panicky speculation that if someone got a Sig upgrade so late that must mean Sig holders are changing their minds and dropping out because deliveries are late or they all know something we don't and is it just one or did we hear a rumor that it's in the hundreds and what does this all mean.....

(Ducks and runs for cover.....:wink:)