Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S sightings in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I go to HK quite a bit, 5x last year. Naturally, I'm always noticing the cars there, you see random exotics regularly.

Last year I could count on one hand the number of Teslas I saw. I just came back today from HK and WOW! It was like being in Silicon Valley, they are freaking everywhere. In almost every batch of cars in Central or Causeway Bay, you would often see a Tesla somewhere in the pack and you saw them parked on side streets everywhere.

I didn't see any Model X around but that doesn't mean they weren't there but the Model S is everywhere. Most of them seemed to be the smaller battery packs, I saw one 90D but the rest were all small models. Didn't see any PxxD models at all, not sure if they are available there.

I can see where the small battery pack would appeal. In Hong Kong, you never drive that far and never drive that fast so the battery must last forever.

I was in Hong Kong for two weeks this summer visiting my in-laws. I stopped counting Teslas before we left the airport parking garage (er, carpark). No Models Xs yet in Hong Kong, I forgot when the first deliveries are supposed to happen.

I thought it was interesting that I seemed to see a higher proportion of post-refresh Model S than back home in the Bay Area.

My in-laws live fairly near the Festival Walk (big shopping mall with a four-stall Supercharger in the carpark there). We went there pretty often and we usually parked fairly close to the Supercharger stalls...I think there was only one time when I saw an empty stall. Usually there would be one or two cars waiting. Many owners can't charge at home, so I bet the charging aspect can get pretty painful at times compared to what we're used to in the States.

Bruce.

When I was in Hong Kong for a few days, I'd guess that 50% of the Uber drives I took were a Model S. Clearly a business case there with subsidies and supercharger infrastructure for some money to be made as a driver w/ an electric car.