TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S signature slot on eBay

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by TEG, May 8, 2012.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

2. Im assuming this is a normal Sig as if it was a SSL they would have to have configured it already?

10k+40k? Not a very clear auction

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Indeed. I sent the guy (gal?) a message

4. Tommy

Tommy Member

Over on the TM forum a member is inquiring about selling the actual car they ordered. They are reporting they have configured their Signature and have a number below 75. I am wondering if it isn't the same person even though the numbers aren't the same and one is a reservation spot and the other the car itself.

Signature Model S for sale, Reservation # below 75 | Forums | Tesla Motors

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Might be a speculator selling out their spots

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Response was unhelpful:

Didn't really answer whether you need to pay the bid plus the 40k or not. I also asked if it was normal sig or sig special. They say SS once in the reply, but i get the feeling they dont really know what theyre saying. I'd press on, but since I have no real interest and I don't think anyone here does either I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

#7 Jason S, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    At first I read the seller's name as E-crook... premonition maybe?

Edit: Reading the thing again, it seems pretty straightforward -- you are purchasing the car from the person making the order. The eBay seller is taking on the chance that you'll back out on the deal and taking the eBay money as the profit and a promise to pay whatever the eBay seller has to pay for the car. If you back out, they keep the $10k and attempt to sell whatever it was you configured.

Not a bad return on investment, if they can actually sell it.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I see that the auction has been edited 3 times, but I don't see any new detail. How do you get all that from this?

Or do you mean the response? In that case... That could be it.

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The fact that 1) they're not asking for the $40k sig deposit up front and, 2) they probably don't have an agreement with Tesla (in writing, per the reservation agreement) makes this look like a likely scam. Or maybe I'm just cynical this morning. "Send me $10k through PayPal and eventually you'll get to pick a car and eventually you'll receive it."

Nuh-uh.

10. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I agree, I wish they would have gave more of a description. It looks odd to me, but could be legit.
    Here's what I see

1. Only a few ratings and all as a buyer (person has not sold anything)
    2. Appears to be selling for a 10 K profit
    3. Order 79 would already have had to place the build in
    4. Probably not eligible for tax credit
    5. The lack of details concerning the car (for a 10 K profit I would spend a little more time than 5 minutes posting)

There could be perfectly good explanations, maybe the person really doesn't want to get rid of it, maybe the person has financial trouble, or maybe the person is a speculator.
    - If the person doesn't want to get rid of it (forced to due to significant other)- that would explain the terse response and emails
    - financial trouble- would expect more detail
    - Speculator- would expect alot more detail

What would be interesting if you could find the Tesla world map and see if that signature spot is posted and correlate that back to the ebay address, if it matches, it gives it legitimacy, if not, it's a BIG red flag.

If I was to bid on this, I'd contact Tesla directly with the seller''s name to confirm if said spot is being held by the person- can't be too careful

11. daniel

daniel Active Member

I'd wonder if Tesla would even honor the sale of a reservation slot. They might say, Sorry, Charlie: buy the car yourself or we sell it to someone else. And a car purchased for resale does NOT qualify for the federal tax credit, nor does a car purchased used. So if the guy buys the car and then sells it, nobody gets the tax credit, raising the effective price by $7,500.

So even if the seller has good intentions, the deal might fall through, or cost $7,500 more than the buyer expected. In addition to the $10,000.

With so little information, I'd call this a likely scam, whether the seller's intentions are honest or not.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

...auction ended with 0 bids...