Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S size for narrow UK roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a Model S, but one thing that concerns me is dealing with its size. It's about 20cm wider and roughly 70cm longer than my current car and I worry about clipping other cars when driving down tight streets.

What are your experiences driving around generally on the UK roads? Particularly I'm thinking of in London (where I live) where there are often roads with cars on both sides and two lanes of traffic, which are pretty tight even in a small car. And also places like Cornwall where the b-roads can barely squeeze two cars through. Are the parking/distance sensors useful for this?

I had the same concerns! Now I have covered 3,500 miles in London, Devon and where I live in Hampshire it just hasn't been a problem. All round visibilty is very good, the mirrors are excellent and the two swage lines in the frunk lid help gauge the width. The parking sensors are automatically active at low speeds and do help, no question.
I can only recommend a Sherman Tank for when you have to face the Cornish "take no prisoners" driving style.

It is a big car!!

Hi I have had my S for just over a month, and there is no getting away from the fact it is a big car. It replaces my 2 year old Jaguar XJL, and I thought it was almost impossible to have a bigger car.

In London generally things are fine, but you will have issues finding large spaces for parking...as with any long car. However the car is wide...so wide I can only just get the car though the opening in my garage. I have a large garage so really never expected it to be that tight, and unlike you I did not measure things before hand...assuming nothing is bigger than a long wheelbase XJ.

The width is also an issue in small streets in Brighton, partly as I don't want to hurt the beautiful wheel arches, and if refusing to go though a gap the lack of engine noise can be an issue. Yesterday in Brighton I was trapped by an ignorant chap loading his car on double yellows in a small side road...I think he thought I had turned off the engine.

HOWEVER

Of all the cars I have ever owned, from rubbish to elite....no car has ever given me as much pride and joy to own and drive as the S...if the size is the only issue, find a way to cope because it is so so so worth it.

Paul

My previous "car" was a Navara V6 (I'm a BIK troll :redface:), so I've actually gone the other way, and found the Model S is miles easier to drive in town, and a lot easier to use in multi-storey car parks. Finding a space where their isn't a pillar, or the adjacent cars aren't right on the lines can still be a problem though.

I'm also paranoid about it getting dinted in a way I wasn't with the Nissan, so I try to choose well looked after cars to park in between :D

Even though I'm used to a bigger car, I'd still be nervous about buying one without parking sensors though.

When I got the Navara I did find it took a few weeks to get used to it, especially judging gaps and extra "swing out", all of these would be true of a Model S if you aren't used to a large car. (I'd jumped up quite a few car sizes coming from a Lotus Exige!)

It really is a fantastic car, and yes a Smart would be miles better for bombing round a city, but I honestly can say the compromise is more than worth it. I'm six months in to my Tesla ownership, and still love the car, and can't think of anything I'd swap it for.

Great replies all. It definitely helps to hear about your experiences. Overall it sounds very reassuring, and should just be a matter of getting used to the bigger car.

I checked out the numbers and the Tesla width with mirrors extended seems to be 2189mm which is a bit narrower than the Range Rover (2220mm) and a bit wider than the RS6 (2086mm), and much narrower than a Sherman Tank (2620mm).

I've had mine two weeks and I have done 1500 miles. I've been into Edinburgh City and the narrowest roads in Wales that are only two foot wider than the car, ( that's for cars travelling in both directions btw!) as long as you take it easy you should be fine.

Amazing cars.