Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S slows down when you let off the accelerator - not always on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery state of charge (%) and battery temperature have a lot to do with it. If the battery is nearly full it can't do regen to slow down because there's no where for the energy to go. If the battery is particularly cold it can't accept energy very quickly and regen will be reduced.

Do you noticed either or both of these circumstances when there is less resistance when you lift off the accelerator? Any other circumstances you might find are often present?

If the battery is particularly cold it can't accept energy very quickly and regen will be reduced.
It doesn't need to be "particularly cold" to see regen reduction. You'll start noticing regen reduced as ambient temps get into the upper 50s if it sits for any amount of time for the battery to cold soak. On my MD90D, if I let it sit for a day in my garage, which is running about 45 deg F, I still only see 25-30 kW of regen capability, so about half what I'd have when the battery is fully warm.

@plsiskin@gmail - if you turn on the energy display on the instrument panel, you will see a dashed yellow line on the circular gauge. The dashed yellow line indicates the extent of the regen limitation.

Your S is also "old enough" that you could, if the inconsistency bothers you, set the Regen to "Low" which will reduce the amount of regen even if the battery is warm/low-enough, which will make the variation less significant. This is under the in-car menu, by tapping the car icon in the lower left, and then I think the menu is called "Driving" but they recently rearranged things so it's possible it's somewhere else now. Personally, I like getting as much regen as possible and I'm OK with the fact that it's inconsistent - I like knowing that the right pedal is battery in/out and the left pedal is physical brake pads.

Since you're in Texas - I wonder if the temp is your issue. If you're regularly charging over 90%, you probably don't need to and probably shouldn't, but that's a different topic :)

Battery state of charge (%) and battery temperature have a lot to do with it. If the battery is nearly full it can't do regen to slow down because there's no where for the energy to go. If the battery is particularly cold it can't accept energy very quickly and regen will be reduced.

Do you noticed either or both of these circumstances when there is less resistance when you lift off the accelerator? Any other circumstances you might find are often present?
I never fill over 80%. It does it inconsistently during a single drive. So I am driving and let up and it seems to not slow down at all. After I come to a stop the next time it will start to automatically slow down. I thought maybe if I set the "H" hold at a light the next time I take off it doesn't slow down and if I use the brake then it works but that is not the case. It feels like there is no consistency on when it works. I will keep monitoring it. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

I never fill over 80%. It does it inconsistently during a single drive. So I am driving and let up and it seems to not slow down at all. After I come to a stop the next time it will start to automatically slow down. I thought maybe if I set the "H" hold at a light the next time I take off it doesn't slow down and if I use the brake then it works but that is not the case. It feels like there is no consistency on when it works. I will keep monitoring it. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
It shouldn't be that inconsistent. On your instrument cluster, do you have the energy graph as one of your options? It looks like a 3/4 circle - when you accelerate, you'll see the gauge fill with orange from the right toward the top and top left. When you let off and are regenerating, you'll see it fill with green to the bottom. That's your battery in/out gauge. If the car is limiting your regen for whatever reason (cold, battery full, some other issue), you'll see dashed yellow lines around that bottom portion, indicating you don't have the full amount of regen available.

If you don't have that display, hold your right scroll wheel down for a few seconds and you'll get a list of available displays for the right side of the screen and can scroll to "Energy" and click the right scroll wheel again.

Do you see dashed yellow lines indicating limited regen? Do you see the amount of green varying from stop to stop when slowing from about the same speeds?

Few examples...
90AB5EC7-17EF-48F9-ACA6-78EF9DFBE5A7.jpeg

It does it inconsistently during a single drive.
It's possible part of what you feel as inconsistency is the fact that a fixed regen braking power level "feels" different depending upon your speed and the terrain.

For example, the same 30 kW of regen feels much different and stronger in low speed driving versus weaker if you are exiting off an expressway and are decelerating from 70 mph. That same 30 kW of regen will feel much stronger if your decelerating up a grade, as the grade is also contributing to slow the car, then if you're doing down the same grade and the regen also having to overcome the grade.

As others have implied, it may be helpful to drive with the energy display on your dash if you normally will not. This will allow you to get a much better feel for how regen braking level does actually change, not only with temperature but also with how you roll out of the accelerator versus totally lifting your foot off all the way.

Reactions: KalJoMoS