TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dsm363, Sep 2, 2012.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The phrasing is less effective. Meaning it may take longer to get comfortable.

Efficiency, to me at least, would mean something else (perhaps even the opposite of what would be desired).

2. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

How good are the voice commands? How much can it do? Do you have to be very strict in your phrases?

3. JoshG

JoshG Member

Yes, you're right. I suppose to be correct it dials UP the efficiency of the climate control by dialing BACK its effectiveness.
    :rolleyes:

4. JoshG

JoshG Member

Hope I'm not stepping on rich105's toes... but was in the car just now with a camera so I shot all the release notes. Sorry for some that are blurry... had to push to 5000 ISO to get a reasonable shot... flash just blows out the whole screen with reflections!

Model S v4 release notes 001.jpg Model S v4 release notes 002.jpg Model S v4 release notes 003.jpg Model S v4 release notes 004.jpg Model S v4 release notes 005.jpg Model S v4 release notes 006.jpg Model S v4 release notes 007.jpg Model S v4 release notes 008.jpg Model S v4 release notes 009.jpg Model S v4 release notes 010.jpg Model S v4 release notes 011.jpg Model S v4 release notes 012.jpg Model S v4 release notes 013.jpg Model S v4 release notes 014.jpg

5. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Thanks!

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Interesting that range driving mode only deals with cabin controls (or appears to). I would like for it to limit power to a reasonable level, too - say 60 kW - so when I'm trying to conserve I don't have to feather the accelerator on a start.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Wouldn't be surprised if that came later. There are lots of possibilities.
    -Integration with the NAV to anticipate terrain and route and regulate power.
    -Attenuation of the cruise control so that it doesn't pour out power for hill climbs too aggressively.
    -Automatically minimizing regen so the car will free-wheel (or closer to it) instead of regen on downhills for conservation of momentum.
    -less aggressive throttle response, similar to what the Prius does in ECO mode so the driver is less likely to be overly aggressive with the go-pedal.

Any and all of those could be put in via over-the-air updates and I would not be the least bit surprised to see them. It would be nice if each option was independently selectable too.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn M3 Silver, M3 Midnight Silver

Throttle response improvement now delivers torque even quicker and minimizes "harshness" of acceleration???
    Holy cow!!
    Poor Scotty will be rolling in his grave, as he always told the Captain 'I can not break the laws of physics'. Looks like Tesla just has:)
    Can't wait to be ale to get this installed...

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

10. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Great recap Josh! Thanks for the effort.
    Lovin the rapid (and big) efforts TM is making on the firmware, this is exiting.

11. Rich105

Rich105 Member

Yes - thanks Josh! (community effort here - no toes to step on - heck, you saved me work :)

My top question still is whether anyone has benchmarked 0 to 60 time both before and after the update (on the same car of course). Doubtful this can occur in the bay area today as it is *wet*.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

All you need to do is not plant your foot! In the Roadster Range Mode only limits you to half power, which is still pretty darn fast.

Obviously the reason why the HVAC Range Mode is needed in the Model S is that you enter the desired temperature on the controls. The Roadster just has old-fashioned more/less heat controls - inconvenient for daily use, but they give you direct control over the power consumption.

13. goaliemanshark

#293 goaliemanshark, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    4.4 second 0-60 with rollout? Wow! On a non performance car?

HOLY CRAP!

Wonder what this means for a performance car... Probably reaching Roadster sport territory of 3.7

14. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

15. Vger

Vger Active Member

I am surprised that they did not simultaneously add a setting to change temperature units and well as distance. They will clearly need Celsius degrees outside the U.S. I wonder how our Canadian car will handle this.

the Audi I am selling to replace with the Model S allows independent setting of all measurement units, which is really helpful since we cross the border all the time. Actually, the Roadster provides this as well.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

It's already there and included in the driver profiles.

17. Rich105

Rich105 Member

@goaliemanshark - I am still halfway doubting my own measurement (was solo in car and keeping my eyes on the road and speedometer). Maybe my thumb brushed a little close the timer touchscreen a little early. I don't know. I want to repeat it with a passenger handling the stopwatch details but has been pouring rain since yesterday.

It does feel a bit faster though since the update. Looking for other people's experiences who may be in better climates for 0 to 60 testing.

18. Vger

Vger Active Member

Yay! Thanks! I guess if we want to change it quickly at the border, I should make two profiles for myself-- one Canadian and one American. Hmmm, they could have location-dependent profiles that automatically change at a geo-fence!

19. napabill

napabill Active Member

I'm unclear on "USB Browsing". If an iPhone or iPad is connected via USB, it doesn't seem to want to allow you browse the music. Am I missing something?

20. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

It's for USB sticks. If you organize the music on the stick into folders the car will now recognize them.