Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's for USB sticks. If you organize the music on the stick into folders the car will now recognize them.

I'd like to have at least the same functionality to read an iPod or iPhone that the Roadster (Alpine) has. I.e. the ability to search, play artists, albums, playlists etc.

Edit: just saw napabill's post. Agree completely. I have an iPod I got free from Amex permanently plugged into my Roadster.

Getting way off topic, but I'll have to figure out how to restructure my iTunes stuff to be in a folder structure. I'll need to buy a decent sized thumb drive too.

Well, if you have the option to keep your iTunes library organized checked, then your library should already be organized into artist > album folders on your hard drive. Could make things easier.

USB stick - $20, 32GB and tiny/low profile. Is what I am using. No issues.
Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35): Computers Accessories

- - - Updated - - -

Just went down to my car and I have another OTA update waiting for me!

Have no idea what this is for as I have not seen anyone reporting major issues.

Unfortunately have to go pick up my wife at airport so can't do the install until this afternoon. I'll update this thread once I install and get the version number (could be I am getting same version rolled out to me twice).

ah, makes sense. For some reason I thought they completely removed the 300mi based metric and moved everything to the EPA scaled one. Good to know that they still think ideal is possible to hit

The new software (to me.... I only have driven since yesterday always with the 'new') Energy app seems super cool to me. You can select Ideal or EPA (forget the exact nomenclature) for the range display now. I did a range charge and saw 310 "ideal" miles (made me grin) and as I drive about 50 miles this morning the energy kWh graph has two lines: one for your average (I scaled it to past 15 miles) and another for consumption required to meet the predicted ("ideal" in my setting) range.

So.... as you drive you see whether you are trending above, on or below the energy consumption you need to achieve Ideal! Excellent user interface, very fun. After my 50 mile two way trip along the Columbia Gorge scenic highway (not taking it easy but not going crazy either) I actually was just over the Ideal setting. Way above when showing off and climbing hills, way below when regening on the way down, barely above when doing 60-65 on level stretch of highway. Finished the trip about 10% (guess) above the Ideal average.

In short its fun, informative and gives confidence how accurately you can believe the displayed Range to 'empty'. Excellent engineering on Tesla's part.

I may not be super-happy that my "projected" range has been trending to about 180 rather than 240 or higher, but that seems to be the reality for driving around Seattle in the dark and rain (early morning & late evening commutes). The remaining rated miles seems to be fairly accurate for the driving conditions.

With the new update, it says they don't have "projected" range available anymore. I get that they might be getting negative reactions to the projected number, but it seems to me to be the only accurate measure of my typical range.

I like that they can provide some target mileage that will train drivers - but when it's cold (heater), dark (headlights) and raining (wiper motor), and hilly, the Rated or Ideal miles remaining are completely inapplicable.

I vote for adding back Predicted, along with Rated and Ideal.

I still haven't received it yet. Was told it was coming out next week but looks like a number of people are getting it early.
Same. I got the no-prompt 1.15.14 (and the seemingly associated warnings) but no hint of v1.17.50 yet.

I really wish they gave eager owners a setting to get the update on-demand rather than to be at the whim of an automated system or a roll-out button pusher.

- - - Updated - - -

I may not be super-happy that my "projected" range has been trending to about 180 rather than 240 or higher, but that seems to be the reality for driving around Seattle in the dark and rain (early morning & late evening commutes). The remaining rated miles seems to be fairly accurate for the driving conditions.

With the new update, it says they don't have "projected" range available anymore. I get that they might be getting negative reactions to the projected number, but it seems to me to be the only accurate measure of my typical range.

I like that they can provide some target mileage that will train drivers - but when it's cold (heater), dark (headlights) and raining (wiper motor), and hilly, the Rated or Ideal miles remaining are completely inapplicable.

I vote for adding back Predicted, along with Rated and Ideal.
Agreed on the inapplicable. I'm a little worried about this (losing the Projected UI) too.

Just another data point, the 180 is about right for me as well for Seattle area.

As for the motivations, my gut reaction was "someone was annoyed they had to drop the rating from 300 to 265" and thus they "found a way to expose the 300 number" again. Granted, it was a gut reaction that I can mostly shrug off.