TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dsm363, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Anyone have a theory for the rationale of the updates going to cars sequentially instead of all at once? Maybe since this is all new they want to do things a little bit at a time...and as Tesla becomes more comfortable updates will come out simultaneously for all customers?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I should probably say that I don't know for sure they go in order but it seemed with the last update that people with lower VINs got theirs first. Once they have thousands of cars on road I would think the rollouts would happen much quicker.

3. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

4. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Creep should really be in the profile too. My wife will definately want it, myself I am not sure.

5. dsm363

I agree. That's the beautiful thing about the software updates. So many things they can do that you couldn't do in a conventional car.

6. arg

arg Supporting Member

I can think of two reasons:

1) In their position, I would be scared as hell of putting out a bad update that killed the cars. Imagine every car in the country needing a ranger visit on the same day...
    2) These updates must be a reasonable size, and the download will put a load on the infrastructure (is that quoted '2 hours' mostly downloading time?). For example, their deal with AT&T(?) for the cellular plan may require them to do rate limiting.

If it were me, I'd want to spread it over at least a week or so, trickling out at first and then increasing the rate once it seems like the update is not causing the phones to ring. Doing it VIN order seems less than ideal, since you'd want to catch a mix of old and new cars in the first few updates. But they can obviously change their strategy from release to release.

7. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I've worked for quite a few companies that made appliance-like products that nonetheless had software update capabilities. We always did a phased rollout of new software, for exactly the reason arg mentions above in his #1: if any serious problem got past our quality assurance and testing folks (and any external beta testers), we wanted to minimize its impact. Usually we would do a smallish group, make sure that everything seemed okay, then do a larger group, check again, then the rest.

8. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

A 50 Amp contacter is only $25, Amazon.com: Packard C350C 3 Pole 50 Amp Contactor 208/240 Volt Coil Contactor. I have seriously been considering putting a contacter in a box, but have waited. I assume that Tesla will get this into the SW within a few releases. This could be controlled by a simple time clock. At my house, I already have a 24VAC line that is live with off-peak times for just such purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

In VIN order is not perfectly true. I am VIN#S37 and it took 12 days for me to get the last release. Could be poor cell service. How do you get an update if you live out of cell coverage; is it a scheduled visit to cell coverage, or a ranger visit (hopefully free)?

BTW, I think that the 2 hours are for a careful install and reboot, not for the download. If I were designing the system, I would have the full new image downloaded and verified before the install started.

9. dsm363

You're probably right. We don't have enough reports about updates rolling out. The guy with VIN in the 60s (mine's 85) got his update 2 days before I did I think.

Anyway, a future software update will allow WiFi access so I assume software updates can be downloaded that way as well. Of course you'll need cellular coverage to get that update. Most people live in a 3G coverage area but if you don't, maybe it downloads it when you have access but won't install it until you're home and can be down for 2 hours. That's a good question though. I think the download doesn't take that long either. It seemed most of the time was the install process.

10. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Attached Files:

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

About the "Mobile App Remote Access" OFF/ON setting, shouldn't there be a pin-code-based lockdown on that setting? Much like some system settings on smartphones. I might want to communicate with my car from the mobile apps without having to worry about whoever - friend who's borrowing it, valet, thief - turning the remote access off as soon as they drive away with it?!

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yeah, I'm thinking this may need to get more robust as time goes on. It certainly hints that the app is nigh since they pushed this out (and made mention of it).

13. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

Got this email today too. I'm VIN 165, if that helps so e of you track the rollout speed. Did not schedule for tonight... Maybe soon.

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 11:15:51 -0600
    To:
    ReplyTo: "Tesla Motors" <[email protected]motors.com>
    Subject: Tesla: Software Update for Your Model S

A new software update will be available in the coming days. The onboard notification will guide you through the installation. If you would like to review the process, instructions are available at the end of this email.

After installation, Model S will feature Driver Profiles, new settings for Creep and Mobile App Access, and functional improvements to the interface for door locks, maps, and audio volume.

Driver Profiles (New Feature)
    The Driver Profiles feature remembers and restores positions for the driver's seat, side view mirror, and steering wheel. It also tracks the preferences listed below.

DRIVING
    Steering Mode
    Regenerative Braking
    Mirror Auto-Tilt
    Instrument Panel Layout LIGHTS & LOCKS
    Daytime Running Lights
    Fog Lights
    Headlights After Exit
    Drive-Away Door Lock
    Walk-Away Door Lock FORMAT & UNITS
    Time Format
    Temperature Units
    Charging Units
    Range Display MAPS
    Map Magnification
    Show Traffic
    Add New Driver

A new icon, located to the left of the Tesla "T" in the Touchscreen status bar, indicates the active Driver Profile. When you've named and saved a driver profile, that name will appear next to the icon.

When you first make adjustments to either your steering wheel position or driver's seat, Model S will prompt you via the Touchscreen to create a new profile. Tap the drop-down menu to open the Driver Profile window.

Tap "Add New Driver", enter a name, and tap "Create Profile". Adjust seat, mirror, and steering wheel position as needed. Tap SAVE to save the adjustments you have made.

Alternatively, you can create a profile by going to Controls > Settings > Driver Profiles.

Once a profile has been created, each time you make an adjustment to the steering wheel position or driver's seat, a drop-down menu will prompt you to save the new position or restore the previously saved position. In contrast, changes made to any of the other driver preferences listed above will be saved automatically.

If you lend your car to a friend, make sure they don't tap the SAVE button when they adjust the seat or steering wheel. Note that any changes they make to the driver preferences (listed above) will be saved.

The drop-down will disappear after 5 seconds of inactivity. While adjusting the driver's side mirror does not trigger the drop-down, tapping the Driver Profile icon > SAVE will save the current driver's seat / steering wheel / mirror positions. Alternatively, you can tap RESTORE to go back to the last saved position.

Switch Between Saved Profiles
    Model S will save up to 10 Driver Profiles and each will be available regardless of the key used to unlock and drive the vehicle.
    To switch profiles, tap the Driver Profile icon in the status bar and select among the list of saved profiles.

Once a profile has been selected, all the settings associated with that profile will be applied. The seat, mirror, and steering column will move to the saved positions. If you adjust your seat or steering wheel while Model S changes from one profile to the next, the sequence will stop.

If you have selected a profile in error, you can tap STOP to end the transition, then select the intended profile.

Creep (New Setting)
    When this setting is enabled, Model S will slowly move forward while in Drive or backward while in Reverse when the brake pedal is released, the same way a car with an automatic transmission does. You will find this setting in Controls > Driving. Note that the Creep setting can be adjusted only when the car is in Park.

Traffic Button in Maps (Functional Improvement)
    A Traffic button is now available in the Maps app to make it easier to turn on/off traffic display.

Volume Modulation (Functional Improvement)
    We've added more resolution to the volume control to give the driver greater command over audio levels.

Lock/Unlock Buttons (Functional Improvement)
    The lock and unlock buttons have been separated to provide easier access to the function.

Mobile App Remote Access (New Setting)
    This setting prepares Model S for communication with forthcoming mobile applications that will enable you to remotely check status and control some functions of your Model S. No apps are available yet. You will find this setting in Controls*>*Settings*>*Vehicle.

Software Updates
    Model S updates its software wirelessly, providing new functionality throughout your term of ownership. The process to install these enhancements is outlined below.

Onboard Notification
    The first time you enter your Model S after an update is made available, you will be shown a scheduling dialogue box. You can install immediately, confirm the suggested time, or schedule an alternate time. Once scheduled, the icon will change color from yellow (unscheduled) to white (scheduled). At any point before installation begins, you can re-schedule the installation.

IMPORTANT: Model S must be in Park and not driving when new software is being installed. A software update can take up to 2 hours to complete so be sure to select a time when the car can sit idle for this period.

If your car is charging when the update is scheduled, charging will temporarily stop and restart after the software is installed. If you are driving when the installation is scheduled, the installation will be cancelled.

Tesla Motors | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
    privacy policy | email subscriptions | unsubscribe

14. dsm363

My car is installing the update now. Will check it out in the morning.

15. dsm363

The software update went well. The profiles are kind of cool. I'll probably change my name to 'Hello Dave' since it display's the active profile at top of 17" screen to the left of center. HAL can't talk yet but that's coming with a future software update I think. I activated the mobile app connection even though there is no mobile app yet.

16. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Are you sure you want to do that, Dave? :wink:

What % of people who you bring in the car do you think will get the joke?

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Why don't you take a stress pill and think things through...

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Dave's too busy jogging and shadow-boxing in zero gravity while listening to classical music; he doesn't know what's coming ;)

19. Tommy

Tommy Member

I am thinking of using "Major Tom" as my profile name.:wink:

20. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Dave, I can not tell from the email whether the key fob can still have the car auto-set the seat/mirror/steering presets. While one may wish to push the screen to choose a profile after getting into the car from time to time, most houses have 2 drivers (you really letting your kids drive this?) and one would prefer the car knows your presets based on the key fob you are carrying, setting the preference as you unlock the car, with the ability to then change the profile if the driver is not the usual keyfob holder...
    Please clarify when you have a moment. Else - amazing how many features are in the update.