Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have 3g at home, so I'm wondering how these updates work.

Is it feasible that while I'm parked outside the cinema tonight, an update will automatically be downloaded, and then when I get home, I can install without being connected to 3g? or does it need to be connected at the time of installation.

Also, if Tesla has attempted to push the update to my car (while it's sleeping in my garage), will I get a message as soon as I get into 3g range? or will it try and download in the background and once complete I will get a message to install? or does my car have to be online at the time of the push.

I really want to start charging overnight as soon as possible

I installed 4.3 last night, was really interested in the adjustments to battery performance in cold weather, as I'm in Toronto, Canada. First thing I noticed was that the battery pack was fully warmed up when I got in the car after charging overnight. Maybe it knows to keep it warm if its plugged in? That definitely reduced some of the instant range loss I have when driving out of my garage. Overall the rated range indicator is MUCH better now than previously, and the actual battery performance is better as well. Typically I'd have 380km or so of range after charging, but only be able to get 220km of actual driving. Now it looks like 270km of actual driving - city/highway combination with lots of acceleration/showing off, certainly not ideal conditions. All in all an awesome upgrade to the car's performance in cold weather.

On 4.3 I can confirm that they have also fixed the bug that existed if you were set to metric and were looking at the energy graph. The line drawn on the graph that indicates ideal target value for Wh/Km is now in the right place. It used to be at the value for miles.

Also noticed the car is much warmer than before at set temperatures so this confirms what others have reported...they have changed the climate control algorithm.

I have not seen any other bug fixed although they are all just annoying more than anything (decoupling of ambient lights dimming and main screen dimming, bluetooth phone issues, floating camera etc).

Also noticed the car is much warmer than before at set temperatures so this confirms what others have reported...they have changed the climate control algorithm.

I've been running v4.3 for 24 hours, and auto climate control is behaving totally differently. Fan speed is way faster (4-6). And car is way hotter for same temperature.

HOWEVER, I now have the opposite problem I had before. Even if I put the car at the lowest temperature possible, it's too hot! Today was -5C and car was getting so warm I had to turn off the climate control as you can't lower the temperature.

I think something in the middle of 4.2 and 4.3 in terms of behavior would be the best.

Let me know if you encounter the same issue, as I'm in discussion with some very high level people at Tesla regarding HVAC.

I too found that the climate control was running hot. At first I was happy, then had to turn it off.

Another discovery - were there app setting before for Media and Navigation? I don't remember there being anything under that setting in controls, but now I can go in and change the default magnification for Google Maps (yay!) as well as look at my Slacker Radio settings - particularly cool that I can set audio quality to 'medium' if I'm in a low cell coverage area.

I too found that the climate control was running hot. At first I was happy, then had to turn it off.

Another discovery - were there app setting before for Media and Navigation? I don't remember there being anything under that setting in controls, but now I can go in and change the default magnification for Google Maps (yay!) as well as look at my Slacker Radio settings - particularly cool that I can set audio quality to 'medium' if I'm in a low cell coverage area.

I have all that with 4.2

I don't have 3g at home, so I'm wondering how these updates work.

Is it feasible that while I'm parked outside the cinema tonight, an update will automatically be downloaded, and then when I get home, I can install without being connected to 3g? or does it need to be connected at the time of installation.

Also, if Tesla has attempted to push the update to my car (while it's sleeping in my garage), will I get a message as soon as I get into 3g range? or will it try and download in the background and once complete I will get a message to install? or does my car have to be online at the time of the push.

I really want to start charging overnight as soon as possible

When you have coverage, your car pings Tesla. They will push you the update when in a coverage region. When it's ready, you'll see the alarm clock and can then update anywhere (home is strongly suggested).

I have no 3G in my garage. When 4.2 came out it downloaded while I was at work. The alarm clock appeared while I was driving home on the interstate.

100% the same thing. When I had it set to 20 today with 4.3 it felt like when it used to be set at 28 with 4.2! And the fan speed is much higher which itself is annoying. I love the quietness of the car but when the fan is at 5 or 6 it is clearly much noisier.

Those settings are not new, they've been there since 4.0. It's one of those areas of the UI that most users don't know is even there. Yes the default zoom setting for maps is very handy. Maybe this tip belongs here. There are other settings for some of the other apps that can be changed as well. (I think this is where you can set your browser home page, for instance)

Last edited:
I've been running v4.3 for 24 hours, and auto climate control is behaving totally differently. Fan speed is way faster (4-6). And car is way hotter for same temperature.

HOWEVER, I now have the opposite problem I had before. Even if I put the car at the lowest temperature possible, it's too hot! Today was -5C and car was getting so warm I had to turn off the climate control as you can't lower the temperature.

I think something in the middle of 4.2 and 4.3 in terms of behavior would be the best.

Let me know if you encounter the same issue, as I'm in discussion with some very high level people at Tesla regarding HVAC.

I like the new heat settings. I'm nice and toasty without having to fiddle with the controls (set it to 80 to get it to feel like 60). No problems with it being too hot. Still have the fogging issue, but that's a physical change as I understand it.

I wish the INSIDE temperature would be displayed somewhere...

I like the new heat settings. I'm nice and toasty without having to fiddle with the controls (set it to 80 to get it to feel like 60). No problems with it being too hot. Still have the fogging issue, but that's a physical change as I understand it.

I wish the INSIDE temperature would be displayed somewhere...

So, after a few days, I see what you mean, 66 kicks the heat on , and 65 kicks the AC on. There is nothing in between. Grr..

WARNING: UTTERLY TRIVIAL DETAIL ;-)

Since Firmware 4.3, my dashboard has become a wee bit confused about which wheels I have. (19" on driver display, 21" on touchscreen.) Anyone else see this?

teslawheels.jpg

I had that happen when I received 4.2, but prior to that both screens were wrong anyways. Took my car to the service center and they were able to fix it in just a couple of minutes. He entered the securtity code and then changed a setting in the screen and then did a reboot. I did not have a problem the upgrade to 4.3 though.

Just happy to note 4.3 working flawlessly for me. Had update pushed a few weeks ago due to non-firmware related eval (high-pitched whine). They are working on that.

Unclear if the 4.3 is really calculating range differently based on temperature, and wondering how I would know. Also, is it based on the actual temp the car is in - which if in a garage would not be helpful - or on the weather based on location/GPS?

- - - Updated - - -

Two quick notes: car is warmer yes but seems appropriate as was chilly at times before.
Very cool info re: Slacker and Maps in Apps, as per ssinghal above.