Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same question here - couldn't tell if the config setting was required to be a screen selection, or if it's in addition to the fob 'auto-person' select. I'd really like it to be auto.

Dave, I can not tell from the email whether the key fob can still have the car auto-set the seat/mirror/steering presets. While one may wish to push the screen to choose a profile after getting into the car from time to time, most houses have 2 drivers (you really letting your kids drive this?) and one would prefer the car knows your presets based on the key fob you are carrying, setting the preference as you unlock the car, with the ability to then change the profile if the driver is not the usual keyfob holder...
Please clarify when you have a moment. Else - amazing how many features are in the update.

Same question here - couldn't tell if the config setting was required to be a screen selection, or if it's in addition to the fob 'auto-person' select. I'd really like it to be auto.

I don't think the profiles are tied to a single keyfob at this point. I believe you have to select the profile when you get in. I'll try and check later today.

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking of using "Major Tom" as my profile name.:wink:

You car will be named 'Ground Control' then? I like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the instrument cluster or console display battery and motor information like temperature?

There is no place where to driver can check motor, PEM or battery temps yet. Not sure why they don't let us see it like on the Roadster.

I can think of two reasons:

1) In their position, I would be scared as hell of putting out a bad update that killed the cars. Imagine every car in the country needing a ranger visit on the same day...
2) These updates must be a reasonable size, and the download will put a load on the infrastructure (is that quoted '2 hours' mostly downloading time?). For example, their deal with AT&T(?) for the cellular plan may require them to do rate limiting.

If it were me, I'd want to spread it over at least a week or so, trickling out at first and then increasing the rate once it seems like the update is not causing the phones to ring. Doing it VIN order seems less than ideal, since you'd want to catch a mix of old and new cars in the first few updates. But they can obviously change their strategy from release to release.

Your first reason and last paragraph are correct.

As far as your second reason, if they wanted roll them all out at once, it would use up less bandwidth than doing one at a time.

Is there an option to have creep in reverse only?

It's in both drive and reverse it seems.

how strong is very strong? I thought mine was strong till I drove a g37. It was actually pretty useful in traffic even going up hill. I mostly want it so I don't roll backwards.

It seems stronger than the Roadster but I'll have to check it again. I don't have an ICE to compare it against anymore (cool problem to have). It should be fine, especially for San Francisco. I have never had a car without creep so I'm seeing if I like it since that was the way the car was delivered.

Looks like another software update coming to enable Supercharging access. Really only useful for people in or visiting California at the moment but it is a good start.

Also, the volume now is in 0.5 increments (it still says a whole number for two clicks but the volume bar/triangle moves up). Much better now.

Last edited:
I'm sitting in my S as the software update downloads: it's interesting. Over the course of a minute or so after the update began the car went completely inert, no displays, no fans, etc. At about ten minutes the headlights came on and cycled through various modes. At about 15 minutes I heard some solenoids actuate behind the dash and a fan or pump noise was evident for a minute or so. Then the headlights flashed and went out again and the car went inert once more. The USB ports are not energized but the 12V accessory socket has juice. I can open the driver door and the window drops an inch or so as it always does, and the courtesy lights under the door handle are illuminated. Brake lights work. Rear lift gate opens and closes in response to the key fob. Bluetooth is active and can be used to hold a phone conversation over the car's speakers, when initiated at the iPhone.

At 25 minutes the dash and touchscreen came alive and the climate control system came on. Then the touchscreen went dark again while the dash stayed on. A few moments later the touchscreen came on again with normal displays. No annunciation that the update is complete, it's just back to business as usual. Oh, wait: the charging popup was hiding the information that the software update succeeded.

Useless information, I suppose, but it does give some insight into the internal architecture of the car's systems.

Useless information, I suppose, but it does give some insight into the internal architecture of the car's systems.

Thanks, not useless at all, kind of cool to know. It sounds like it probably goes through an extensive set of systems tests to make sure none of the various systems stopped responding as a result of the update. I wonder if it rolls back if one of those fails, I'd hope so.

Very cool though. Agree with AO; messing with the car during an update maybe a dicey thing...
Actually, it's probably a good thing if the early adopters screw with things a lot during the updates. Far better to make it fault tolerant now than to hear about a lawsuit where the car updated while a guy was driving at 2am and it caused some problem...

I'm sure Tesla is incredibly sensitive to that type of case and has all sorts of checks, but having real customers doing real world stuff during updates can only help flush out any issues.

It's in both drive and reverse it seems.

It seems stronger than the Roadster but I'll have to check it again. I don't have an ICE to compare it against anymore (cool problem to have). It should be fine, especially for San Francisco. I have never had a car without creep so I'm seeing if I like it since that was the way the car was delivered.

Is this new creep feature Tesla's answer to the "Hill Hold" feature?

I'm just wondering why you would ever need creep except on an incline?

Thanks.

Larry