Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd rather have an over-the-air update from the manufacturer than have the dealer update it. The mechanics have no clue about firmware or software and will take short-cuts to get it over with faster because their salary and bonus depending on the number of cars per day. At least with over-the-air it's consistent. And I don't think for a minute that the quality of software is less. In fact, more frequent updates means each update is smaller so there is less chance of something going wrong. It's far easier to debug 100 lines of code than it is 100,000.

I have SOP v4.0 now. Very cool! :biggrin:

The only problem I have is that I now have the buzzing ambient lights when the night screen setting is less than 100%. Didn't have this problem pre-v4.0. Tesla have passed it on to engineering and a Ranger is dropping by on Sunday to hear for himself whether it's actually coming from the lights or the speakers. I can survivs with the ambient lights turned off for a couple of nights.

Both my brother and I have this problem. Neither of us have v4.0. We notified our service tech a couple weeks ago, so I know Tesla is aware of this.

@cinergi - Thanks for the video. Great review of v.4 and helpful insight which will prepare us all for its release.

Cinergi - another epic, 25 minute instructional video. Awesome.

However, I noticed that my door handles are NOT self-extending, and that the voice commands are not working at all. Very frustrated. I called Tesla Service, and they reminded me that, well, I have not received my car yet and that I am still driving a 2001 Volvo with 192,000 miles. My bluetooth is not pairing either. Dunno.

However, I noticed that my door handles are NOT self-extending, and that the voice commands are not working at all. Very frustrated. I called Tesla Service, and they reminded me that, well, I have not received my car yet and that I am still driving a 2001 Volvo with 192,000 miles. My bluetooth is not pairing either. Dunno.

You made me spit my coffee. Fortunately I wasn't actually drinking any at the time. ;-)

Hilarious! Might be my favorite post on this forum to date.

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh*. I've directly worked on life critical systems and know the elements involved. The zealous rejection of the value of independent oversight makes me sad. Even if Tesla is a paragon of virtue, other's won't be. The whole free market approach involving "reputation" and such is reactionary, it happens after people die.

Such unrestricted updates concern me as this is something that will only grow across all vendors. If it doesn't concern someone else, I understand even if I don't agree.

+1. I've not dealt with software that could kill anyone (I did have a developer have a stroke during a scrum once, however), but independent QA is truly the way to go. For all we know this does happen, and it is just not talked about by Tesla. Perhaps they could put out a blog post on how they test, and what graceful fail and emergency kill systems are in place?

Loaded V4.0 last night. I won't repeat the reviews/reports of all the cool features, but I wanted to note the increased performance. I have a P85 and I felt that sometimes I had more power than others (super rocket fast versus just rocket fast). V4.0 seems to have fixed this problem - permanently in super rocket fast mode now. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience with V4.0.

Last edited:
Loaded V4.0 last night. I won't repeat the reviews/reports of all the cool features, but I wanted to note the increased performance. I have a P85 and I felt that sometimes I had more power than others (super rocket fast versus just rocket fast). V4.0 seems to have fixed this problem - permanently in super rocket fast mode now. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience with V4.0.

Thanks for ruining my day Dave .... now the waiting is moving to panic!

j/k

You crack me up! Hopefully you'll be parking your Volvo soon, just as I did this week :cool:

It uses my TC much more often when I try to take off at a light and it slips some. Now you need to be a little more careful if you want to floor it

but I may be wearing my tires some ;?

I asked my DS about this this morning. He said that the car does indeed limit power at times (you'd see a dotted line), but I'm eager to see how it feels with 4.0 -- The car feels fast, but so smooth you never really feel thrown back in your seat. I SORT of miss the feeling of mashing the accelerator, downshifting, and losing your mind ;)

Is the throttle response change in V4.0 perhaps part of the "things they were exploring" with Elon's vehicle that (in part) led to such impressive (better than advertized) 0-60 response?

My memory's not what it used to be, but I think it was the Edmund's test/review that mentioned this.

****ing lol!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I learned today that the software upgrades are rolled out by location. So, one location at a time. Not by VIN or reservation number. Some people do get them early (I'm looking at you cinergi) because they're beta testing, etc... but the "masses" get it by region. Also learned that they will roll them out more quickly in the future as they gain confidence in the servers/network/systems/testing.

Is the throttle response change in V4.0 perhaps part of the "things they were exploring" with Elon's vehicle that (in part) led to such impressive (better than advertized) 0-60 response?

My memory's not what it used to be, but I think it was the Edmund's test/review that mentioned this.

I'm guessing this has nothing to do with the 0-60 time. I think they just changed the throttle mapping. If you stab it to the floor it won't make any difference before/after.