Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A big wishlist item for me: allow me to show "projected range" (based on the last X miles of my actual driving) as the primary display in the center of the dashboard. This is what my Roadster did, and I always found it to be accurate and a great guide. Both "rated" and "ideal" are much less likely to be accurate estimates of my remaining range.

As a secondary note, having the energy app always revert to "instant" projected range no matter how many times I set it to "average" is a bug, and needs to be fixed.

In case this hasn't been mentioned: I would like to be able to change the driver profile using the iPhone app. Of course, this should only be enabled if the car is in park and maybe even off.

It would be really helpful to change profiles while I'm putting on my shoes before getting to the car and trying to force myself into my wife's seat position.

A big wishlist item for me: allow me to show "projected range" (based on the last X miles of my actual driving) as the primary display in the center of the dashboard. This is what my Roadster did, and I always found it to be accurate and a great guide. Both "rated" and "ideal" are much less likely to be accurate estimates of my remaining range.

As a secondary note, having the energy app always revert to "instant" projected range no matter how many times I set it to "average" is a bug, and needs to be fixed.

+1 big-time on both points.

I'd also like to see a "Range Reserve" display. On the Energy App is fine, doesn't have to be on the main console. What this does is subtract Projected Range from GPS Distance-To-Go, and displays the result. I'm constantly doing this in my head while driving long distances. I want to maintain a 30 km reserve at all times on road trips, and this really helps.

Just sent to Ownership:

The Google "night mode" maps are totally unreadable to me. It's just a blue-green blur! I really need the ability to keep the map in day mode.

My current workaround is simply to lock the display into day mode and turn the brightness down to minimum, but it would be a lot safer if I could simply choose to keep the day/night sensor and the separate brightness settings, and never have to see that green/blue/white map.

Someone has probably mentioned these before, but I couldn't read all the posts here. After 1500 miles, these are my main ones:

Cache Google Maps! With Google Maps on my phone, I was able to drag a box around the SF bay area, and save the entire bay area on my phone for about 50 or 75mb. All my maps load instantly and never have to wait for anything to load. Makes the map app wonderful to use, and my friends commented on how super fast my phone was when they first saw it. The car's maps load so slow its kind of hard to use sometimes. Cached maps would solve that issue and provide a MUCH better user experience, and hopefully passengers would be impressed instead of commenting how slow it loads! Tethering my 4g lte phone would probably help (USB tether would be nice too!), but there is no reason to constantly download the data when you can cache it locally for such a small amount of storage.

I'd like to be able to switch media source by voice command. Play FM, USB, etc. (my brothers Ford Focus does this, poorly, but it does it) Voice commands to play local media, instead of just Slacker, would be great as well. Play Song by Artist from USB. A shuffle button for playing from USB would be cool too.

Expand voice commands -- open pano roof, set suspension height, etc.

Enable Flash/HTML5/Video when in park, so the web browser has a use instead of being a novelty.

Instrument cluster items:
Add a compass to the gauge cluster. Would also be nice to list the street you are currently on, even if not using nav.

Last edited:
Just sent to Ownership:

The Google "night mode" maps are totally unreadable to me. It's just a blue-green blur! I really need the ability to keep the map in day mode.

My current workaround is simply to lock the display into day mode and turn the brightness down to minimum, but it would be a lot safer if I could simply choose to keep the day/night sensor and the separate brightness settings, and never have to see that green/blue/white map.

I have no problem with readability of the night mode. Looks clean and easy to quickly see things. I guess it's just a visual perception issue. Not everyone likes the same color schemes. Not everyone sees things the same way.

My wish is similar to the OP's. I'd like to see the homelink garage buttons drop down at a user-selected distance. Right now, it comes on about 80 feet away from the front of my garage. How do I know this? Because my driveway is 72 feet long, and the homelink turns on right before I hit my driveway at a diagonal angle, jostling my fingers and often causing me to hit my wife's garage button or the homelink symbol, thus removing the dropdown buttons. 100-110 would be better for me, and I'm sure some people would prefer 50-60 feet. Do you think this is something programmable, or is it just a function of the max range of the transmitter? Yes, I'm impatient, and if I wait until my car has steadied onto the driveway, say 60 feet away, then I have to stop and wait for the garage door to rise high enough to stuff my MS in instead of shooting straight into the garage the way I like to.

Big +1 on this!!
That would be so great

In case this hasn't been mentioned: I would like to be able to change the driver profile using the iPhone app. Of course, this should only be enabled if the car is in park and maybe even off.

It would be really helpful to change profiles while I'm putting on my shoes before getting to the car and trying to force myself into my wife's seat position.

My wish is similar to the OP's. I'd like to see the homelink garage buttons drop down at a user-selected distance. Right now, it comes on about 80 feet away from the front of my garage. How do I know this? Because my driveway is 72 feet long, and the homelink turns on right before I hit my driveway at a diagonal angle, jostling my fingers and often causing me to hit my wife's garage button or the homelink symbol, thus removing the dropdown buttons. 100-110 would be better for me, and I'm sure some people would prefer 50-60 feet. Do you think this is something programmable, or is it just a function of the max range of the transmitter? Yes, I'm impatient, and if I wait until my car has steadied onto the driveway, say 60 feet away, then I have to stop and wait for the garage door to rise high enough to stuff my MS in instead of shooting straight into the garage the way I like to.

Think yourself lucky. Mine only drops down when I'm IN the garage!!!!

I agree though, have a button on the config screen that says "drop down when at this location"

Think yourself lucky. Mine only drops down when I'm IN the garage!!!!

I agree though, have a button on the config screen that says "drop down when at this location"

Just a thought here. How does the system know when to drop down the homelink buttons. I would think that it has to do with the location you were at when you set it up. If you wanted the buttons to drop down further away from your house, just program the button when you are further away from your driveway and you should be good to go. It has nothing to do with the location of your garage. The car has no idea where your garage is. It knows where the car is sitting when you program things so move further away, reprogram it and call it a day.

Just a thought here. How does the system know when to drop down the homelink buttons. I would think that it has to do with the location you were at when you set it up. If you wanted the buttons to drop down further away from your house, just program the button when you are further away from your driveway and you should be good to go. It has nothing to do with the location of your garage. The car has no idea where your garage is. It knows where the car is sitting when you program things so move further away, reprogram it and call it a day.

not sure about that as i programmed mine when i was in the garage and it drops down for me when i am coming home and am about 50 yards from the garage.

not sure about that as i programmed mine when i was in the garage and it drops down for me when i am coming home and am about 50 yards from the garage.

exactly. I think wherever you program it, it gives some kind of buffer around the location and then triggers it on the edge of that buffer. If you go down the street and program it at your neighbors house down the street, do you think it will still somehow "know" that this opener is for YOUR house? It will have no choice but to put the location further down the street. I will try it later today and report back.

exactly. I think wherever you program it, it gives some kind of buffer around the location and then triggers it on the edge of that buffer. If you go down the street and program it at your neighbors house down the street, do you think it will still somehow "know" that this opener is for YOUR house? It will have no choice but to put the location further down the street. I will try it later today and report back.

Cool, will be interested in the results. Make sure you don't program it so far away that it can't be activated from within the garage.