Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really love the fact that when you stop the car and open the door to exit the vehicle the radio volume is reduced. What I would like to see is to have the ability to set the level it goes to when the door is opened. IMHO, I don't think it lowers the volume enough.

Mark

Most cars lock the steering wheel when you shut the car off. Many people grab the steering wheel in some manner when exiting the vehicle. The software could predict that the driver is exiting the vehicle when they put the vehicle in park followed by removing the seatbelt and opening the driver door to exit. When this happens, lock the steering wheel or shut off the power steering. That way when you grab the steering wheel to steady yourself to exit the vehicle, it does not turn on you. When I get in the vehicle to leave, the steering wheel appears to be locked or power steering is not yet activated. It needs to be in this status when parking and exiting the vehicle as well.

I'd like to have the nav display the speed limit at my current location. It shows this for vehicles with AP, but where's the classic love?
Unfortunately I think it's wishful desire only.

Present logic designed for AP would need to be very different for non-AP vehicles, as the present firmware uses the front camera watching/reporting road signs, with the Nav database (which from other posts may also include Autopilot fleet learning overrides), which then goes through logic as to what to present when one is different than the other, or the Nav has only one or the other data point.

I suspect reliability presenting speed based only on only the more static (and not very timely) Nav database would be problematic at best ... and open Tesla up for more complaints, negative press and lawsuits, than potential benefit Tesla would gain providing crippled functionality that it knows may be incorrect to non-AP vehicles.

Interesting. My prior vehicle - a Ford Fusion, had this ability as does my 8 year old garmin gps. I had assumed that it was part of the metadata from the map server. And yes, there were areas where the data was out of date but it was better than nothing. Didn't occur to me that the AP versions were actually "reading" the speed limit signs...

Reactions: markn455
Interesting. My prior vehicle - a Ford Fusion, had this ability as does my 8 year old garmin gps. I had assumed that it was part of the metadata from the map server. And yes, there were areas where the data was out of date but it was better than nothing. Didn't occur to me that the AP versions were actually "reading" the speed limit signs...

Yes, my understanding is that it will speed limit AP (TACC & Autosteer) to 5 above the speed limit. I think if you just use TACC you can go higher.

Same here. My ancient Garmin displays the speed limit based on the static database...no lawsuits or negative press from that. The front camera only augments the database and has been shown to be very inaccurate at times. Any lawsuits from that? I don't think so.

It would be trivial to add this to non-AP cars, without the front camera augmentation. But tesla clearly chooses not to.

I really love the fact that when you stop the car and open the door to exit the vehicle the radio volume is reduced. What I would like to see is to have the ability to set the level it goes to when the door is opened. IMHO, I don't think it lowers the volume enough.

Mark
Agreed. It would be very helpful to avoid being greeted with loud music upon entering the car in the morning!! it would be a simple software feature to add.

A very simple but I think meaningful improvement:
Hearing a "Bong" when you are close to something doesn't do much in a car that makes more electronic noises than a Daft Punk concert, but having a sound coming from the specific angle in which the offending object is would make the sound stand out much better.
:D A daft punk concert lol! But seriously this is a great suggestion, and doesn't sound like it would be to difficult to implement.

A very simple but I think meaningful improvement:
For those with parking sensors, why do we have a graphic display of where the sensed object is but not an audible indication? We have over six speakers in the car, so making the sound indicating object proximity come from the direction in which the obstruction is would make it much easier to avoid a collision. Hearing a "Bong" when you are close to something doesn't do much in a car that makes more electronic noises than a Daft Punk concert, but having a sound coming from the specific angle in which the offending object is would make the sound stand out much better.
So the short version:
* Make object proximity noises when parking come from the direction where the object is by using the quadraphonic system in the onboard audio.
As of the last update Software 7.1 (v2.20.30), I can get the car to drive out or be summoned out of the garage correctly, but she complains really bad about going back in! It takes 7 or 8 tries to get it done. ((17 inches of clearance))
So for your audible suggestion , it would help so I don't have to watch the dash as much in a moment of stress

I'm a big man. No Im not grossly overweight but I am big.
I have 3 seat settings: My wife; Myself and exit (so when I get in and out of the car its easier to do)
It would be great if I could use my App on my iPhone to change the setting to exit if I forget to do so when I get out of the car.
Shouldn't be difficult t program and give as an option

I wish the (H) hill hold logo were somewhere I could see better. My steering wheel blocks the upper part of the display and I'm pretty average height. I can't imagine what it's like if you're tall - The steering wheel must block lots of info.

Also remembering my phone was connected and playing it when I get back to the car would be helpful so I don't have to select it every time. It seems really random.

CarPlay would be really awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited: