Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that really annoys me... the Homelink drop-down window. It's opaque. When I back out of my driveway, approaching traffic from my left is blocked out by the drop-down box - until it times out and disappears or I manually cancel it. I've almost had an incident a few times because of this! Too many mirrors to watch, shoulders to check over. The camera provides the best overall view.

Yesterday I just about backed into a little old lady and her walking poles. The perfect storm of checking the mirrors in the wrong order and she moved between views with exact timing to evade detection. The camera would have shown her, but the blinkin' box was still hanging there!

Why, why, why can't this box be transparent???

Something that really annoys me... the Homelink drop-down window. It's opaque. When I back out of my driveway, approaching traffic from my left is blocked out by the drop-down box - until it times out and disappears or I manually cancel it. I've almost had an incident a few times because of this! Too many mirrors to watch, shoulders to check over. The camera provides the best overall view.

Yesterday I just about backed into a little old lady and her walking poles. The perfect storm of checking the mirrors in the wrong order and she moved between views with exact timing to evade detection. The camera would have shown her, but the blinkin' box was still hanging there!

Glad no one was hurt ...but absolutely 100% agreed. I have the same thoughts every time I back out of my driveway.

While I'm sure some will take shots at this, I believe the issue is Tesla lost focus caring about customer-centric usability refinements like this unless it's related to AP, another non-useful Easter Egg, or something else that gains Press. We're living with years-old acknowledged firmware bugs and an Infotainment System that is very dated functionality-wise from what the low-end of the marketplace offered before now. The shame is, many of us use these features constantly, so little things to some, become major annoyances and eventually a take-away from an otherwise outstanding vehicle for others -- especially when the changes could be implemented over-the-air if it were deemed a priority to Tesla's Executives. I still love my MS in so many ways, but often yearn for the quality and "constant pursuit of perfection" a former auto brand provided and demonstrated to me for so many years.

Reactions: msnow

If not transparent, maybe horizontally oriented instead of vertical.

While I'm sure some will take shots at this, I believe the issue is Tesla lost focus caring about customer-centric usability refinements like this unless it's related to AP, another non-useful Easter Egg, or something else that gains Press. We're living with years-old acknowledged firmware bugs and an Infotainment System that is very dated functionality-wise from what the low-end of the marketplace offered before now. The shame is, many of us use these features constantly, so little things to some, become major annoyances and eventually a take-away from an otherwise outstanding vehicle for others -- especially when the changes could be implemented over-the-air if it were deemed a priority to Tesla's Executives. I still love my MS in so many ways, but often yearn for the quality and "constant pursuit of perfection" a former auto brand provided and demonstrated to me for so many years.

I fully agree. I'd still say it's the best car ever and I appreciate the hard work and dedication the company puts into the cars overall. But you're right... this sort of thing should be easy to fix and goes a long way to the user experience. I curse this every time I back out of my driveway. And curse it louder when I miss something obscured by the drop-down box!

If not transparent, maybe horizontally oriented instead of vertical.

Yes, that would work too. It's no where near as complex a problem as getting the HW2 cars to perform as well as HW1!! Seriously, someone at the executive level should have noticed this problem long ago and quietly fixed it.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
It would be cool if as soon as you sit down and turn on the car, a futuristic female voice says "Welcome *your personal name*". Make it feel all spaceship like.

Also, change the rainbow road easter egg to play a clip of the mario kart wii theme or actual rainbow road theme. Maybe even make the cars you see in the dashboard actual mario go-karts.

And it would be cool if you could choose to auto-play futuristic ambient noise if you are at standstill. Or have some mode you can select where it will play this kind of stuff in the background. Perhaps a new easter egg of some kind? "Spaceship Mode".

Last edited:
^ source for this claim please

Go Premium. Be happy.

I also have Spotify Premium myself.

IMG_0444.PNG

The "Extreme" is only available to Premium subscribers. I heard Spotify is working on releasing a HI-FI version for maybe like $15-$20 a month.

Nope - Sorry, that doesn't substantiate your claim that Tesla's free account is streamed at a lower quality than a Spotify Premium account would be to the car. In fact even the Spotify site doesn't claim difference in audio between free and Premium.

What does Tesla have to do with streaming? We are talking about Spotify specifically. Look at the list on that link I just sent you. For Spotify specifically, the bitrate/stream quality is dependent upon your subscription. Free or Premium ($10 a month).

"Extreme" quality is not available with a free spotify account. You have to have premium.

... well of course the discussion makes no sense when you retrospectively edit your post to remove your claim that Tesla "free" account is streamed at a lower quality than a personal account.

Fix navigation! - that's something we can all agree with, We are seeing some changes though with TomTom being used under the hood in at least some markets, and new Linux kernel being partially delivered, hopefully this will lead to enhanced higher level functionality to come soon.

(TL;DR, but if the squeaky wheel gets the grease...,)
Navigation:
1. Why is the blue route line so thick? Blue has high contrast against the map/satellite background. Make the blue line much thinner so that traffic data is visible.
2. Allow the directions panel to be shrunk so that the entire screen is useful. Toggle with a tap. As it is, the nav system effectively uses 1/3 of the screen for the panel.
3. STOP with the auto-zoom when I touch the North up/lock vehicle to centre of screen button. I already have the zoom level that I want - I don't want to have to try to reset the zoom without knocking the system out of autotrack.

Reactions: BostonGuy
...Why is the blue route line so thick? Blue has high contrast against the map/satellite background. Make the blue line much thinner so that traffic data is visible....

I believe the traffic lines go on top of the navigation line whenever not green. Green goes under blue. The blue is thicker so it is still visible when non-green traffic lines are overlaid.

...STOP with the auto-zoom when I touch the North up/lock vehicle to centre of screen button. I already have the zoom level that I want - I don't want to have to try to reset the zoom without knocking the system out of autotrack.

I thought auto zooming stops as soon as you have a custom zoom level. Auto zoom only happened at default zoom level. At least that's what I experienced a while ago, on the north up mode. I don't know if I am wrong or a recent s/w update has changed it.
Of course, you'd still have a problem if your favorite zoom level is the same as the default zoom level.

... well of course the discussion makes no sense when you retrospectively edit your post to remove your claim that Tesla "free" account is streamed at a lower quality than a personal account.

Fix navigation! - that's something we can all agree with, We are seeing some changes though with TomTom being used under the hood in at least some markets, and new Linux kernel being partially delivered, hopefully this will lead to enhanced higher level functionality to come soon.

Are you sure that they are using TomTom now? Do you have a photo of it, where i can see this?