Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a reminder to folks, TMC isn't run or officially monitored by Tesla. So -- while posts here are interesting to other Tesla enthusiasts, an email to [email protected] or official report as one of the items on your next SvC visit has a much better chance of getting suggestions, annoyances, and bugs into Tesla's pipeline for possible consideration and resolution.

Based on my experiecne, emailing them has zero chance of actually getting a response, unfortunately. Keep doing it, but

USB MUSIC IS STILL BROKEN

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Based on my experiecne, emailing them has zero chance of actually getting a response, unfortunately. Keep doing it, but

USB MUSIC IS STILL BROKEN

Well, technically, I always do get a response. And not just a canned response. Usually, the conversation continues through a few back and forth emails too. But by response, if you mean actual action towards fixing a bug or an expected timeline or something, then yes, that has never happened in my case.

Reactions: neroden
I would like to see the ability to save the car’s current location as the home or work location instead of forcing the user to type in an address.

I also want to be able to put the estimated battery range remaining on the dash, based upon the last 5, 15, 30 miles. Showing the EPA rated range remaining is much less useful.

I also want to be able to put the estimated battery range remaining on the dash, based upon the last 5, 15, 30 miles. Showing the EPA rated range remaining is much less useful.

The energy app will display this info. Set it on the big screen how you want it (5, 15, or 30 miles) and the instrument cluster screen energy graph app will reflect that setting. Won't change the little green battery bar number, if that's what you're after, but puts the info in the instrument cluster.

Here are ten suggestions I sent to Tesla service help at [email protected]

1) autopilot lane change safety

When I request an automated lane change, the car executes it without, in my opinion,
enough gap between the car that ends up behind me in the target lane. It's like I
cut that car off. Can you arrange for a larger gap?

2) autopilot traffic-jam-melt feature

You already have inter-vehicle gap settings 1-7. How about adding a setting to
help melt compression-wave traffic jams on freeways? This would add some
aggressive hysteresis. When traffic is moving, it would use a relatively large gap,
and when traffic starts to slow it would resist braking until necessary, and avoid lighting
the brake lights until necessary.

3) integration with Solar City PV

My house has PV from the former Solar City. Shouldn't there be integration between
car and house?

4) power use tracking

Is there a way to examine kWh taken on board over time? And power cost?
Should there be? Power here in NE Mass costs US$0.251 per kWh in the winter
which is ridiculously high. I'd like to track.

5) (grid feature) off peak power rates: pressure grid operators and regulators

Here in National Grid territory we can get off-peak power rates, only if we use 2.4 mWh per
month on the meter. How about pressuring the grid operators to offer off-peak at
a lower threshold to transportation users like Telsa customers?

6) cold-weather steering wheel heat slightly easier to use .

How about slaving the steering wheel heater to the driver seat heater level 2 or above?

7) display at night ... avoid disrupting dark-adaption -- a little dimmer at 0% brightness please.

I drive in the dark a lot. Your display is a bit bright. You might also investigate
using red for displays used in darkness; using red will avoid wrecking the
dark-adaption of the rods in the retina, only the cones.

8) sound system integration with podcasts and recorded books.

When I'm listening to long-form audio from my device or on the car's sound system
it would nice if the forward/back buttons on the left side of the steering wheel skipped
forward or back 15 sec instead of to the next track.

9) sound system: get rid of bogus Gracenote lookups

When I'm listening to long form audio the car sometimes grabs and displays what
appears to be a random album cover, I assume from Gracenote. This is dumb.

10) display night-day shift time control.

You currently switch the display to night mode at right around sunset,
and the other way at sunrise. It's obvious you have knowledge of the time
of sunset and sunrise.

How about an option to adjust the time of switching to

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

where "4" is sunrise / sunset,
7 is the end of civil twilight (sun 6 degrees down)
6 is sun 4 degrees down
5 is sun 2 degrees down
3 is sun 2 degrees up (useful in mountainous areas)
2 is sun 4 degrees up
1 is sun 6 degrees up.

I would probably set this to 6 where I live.

---------------------

Thanks for your consideration.
Oliver Jones

I've had my MS for about 3 weeks, and while I have loved it, I of course have a list of things I’d like to see in future software updates. Note: I only went back and read a half dozen or so pages of this thread, so apologies for any repeats. Also, if there is any way to actually do this stuff today that I'm missing I would love to hear it.

Here is my list:

Media Player
- There are appears to be no way to organize favorite radio stations. I’m a little OCD so I like my talk radio stations together away from music stations, but the way I favorited them is off and I can’t seem to change it. Simply apple-like hold and drag would be great.

- Phone integration could be better. Many other car audio systems can see and control playlists, can shuffle songs, can search, etc when connected to a Bluetooth media player/phone. Enabling phone audio controls would go a long way to improving the media player

- Allowing other apps like apple music, Spotify, etc.

- Ability to connect older ipod via usb. I have a 160bg player that still works that I would love to connect (provided I could control through the car as mentioned above)

- Slacker is not reliable. I haven't been able to play a single song from start to finish without a loading error.

Navigation
- The voice directions say the exit numbers, but neither screen shows them. Adding those would help.

- Currently there is a command to "show directions" which expands the turn by turn directions on the center console screen. However, once you press it you cannot go back, so there should be a "hide directions" option.

- I like the view that shows the entire trip in the screen, but to toggle between that view and the detailed zoomed in view requires cycling through multiple views, including the one that changes the map orientation. This is slow and cumbersome, so I wish there was an easier toggle between views.

- The real time traffic colors are basically impossible to read on the route you are travelling with Nav on since the blue navigation line is so thick - enhancing the traffic colors would be beneficial

- The indicator where you can get an alert when you exceed a set speed over the posted speed limit doesn’t really do much. A better option would be to make the numbers of the speedometer red like waze does

- Nerdy request – ability to change nav voices. I grew up in the 80s, so would love to use the KITT from Knight Rider voice as my nav voice! (Certainly no less nerdy than other easter eggs. Right?...)

Cameras / Sensors
- Ability to have birds eye view of the car like MB and BWM would be great. Great for seeing where the front of the car is, and also seeing lines on parking spaces, distance to the curb, etc

- Ability to see the front camera view. I have tight garage fit so need to park very close to the front wall, and while the displayed distances in the car are great, the visual would help as well

- Blind spot warning – a chime when turn signal goes on when something is in the blind spot, and/or maybe make the green turn signal arrow on the dash screen red

Other
- Option to keep the icon tray at the top of center console screen visible at all times (maybe smaller icons) vs having to tap the screen to bring it up

- Ability to display incoming text messages on either screen

- For the rear jump seats, making the trunk well cover tri-fold so it can be stored in the frunk when the jump seats are up vs having to be removed entirely from the car

- Ability to turn on the heated seats remotely from the phone app

- More slack in rear seat belt receivers (currently very hard for kids in booster seats to buckle without using seat belt extenders)

Reactions: Ollie Jones
I can help with a few...

Ability to connect older ipod via usb. I have a 160bg player that still works that I would love to connect (provided I could control through the car as mentioned above)

Your best bet here is to just copy your iPod contents onto a 256GB thumb drive and plug that into the USB port. You can then access the USB via the touchscreen, although the interface is terrible.

Slacker is not reliable. I haven't been able to play a single song from start to finish without a loading error.

This is a short-term problem that Tesla is working on now. It used to work great (near 100%) up until early November when either something with Slacker security changed, or LTE is being throttled, or some combination of both. There are a few threads on this already, and hopefully will be fixed soon.

Currently there is a command to "show directions" which expands the turn by turn directions on the center console screen. However, once you press it you cannot go back, so there should be a "hide directions" option.

There's definitely a way, but I'm not in my car right now. I think it's one of the lower tiles in the left side directions bar to go back.

- Ability to see the front camera view. I have tight garage fit so need to park very close to the front wall, and while the displayed distances in the car are great, the visual would help as well

See: 2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen -- what many consider to be *the best* mod ever for a Tesla. Also realize the "front camera view" from the AP cameras isn't any better than your own vision, so that really wouldn't help any.

- Option to keep the icon tray at the top of center console screen visible at all times (maybe smaller icons) vs having to tap the screen to bring it up

Workaround: Put the Nav screen on the bottom. The auto-hide stops. Not optimal, as I like to have the Nav on top, but I hate-hate-hate teh auto-hiding screen. What a freaking braindead idea from the start. At least give us a UI switch to toggle it on or off.

Reactions: Ollie Jones
I can help with a few...

Your best bet here is to just copy your iPod contents onto a 256GB thumb drive and plug that into the USB port. You can then access the USB via the touchscreen, although the interface is terrible.

This is a short-term problem that Tesla is working on now. It used to work great (near 100%) up until early November when either something with Slacker security changed, or LTE is being throttled, or some combination of both. There are a few threads on this already, and hopefully will be fixed soon.

There's definitely a way, but I'm not in my car right now. I think it's one of the lower tiles in the left side directions bar to go back.

See: 2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen -- what many consider to be *the best* mod ever for a Tesla. Also realize the "front camera view" from the AP cameras isn't any better than your own vision, so that really wouldn't help any.

Workaround: Put the Nav screen on the bottom. The auto-hide stops. Not optimal, as I like to have the Nav on top, but I hate-hate-hate teh auto-hiding screen. What a freaking braindead idea from the start. At least give us a UI switch to toggle it on or off.

Very helpful - thanks!

Fix the Comprehensive USB Bugs List, noted elsewhere. Load USB sticks, even large ones, with the directory structure access, instantly (a trivial thing to implement); have gapless playback for radio plays presented as multiple tracks or "continuous play" albums; don't screw around looking for inappropriate album art from the Internet; no rescans unless the stick is removed; simple, basic stuff which every audio player can do.

These bugs range from 1 year old to 4 years old and are all basic-functionality bugs. Nobody should be allowed to work on easter eggs until they get the basics working.

I would like to see my Tesla be able to smart precondition my home.

I utilize a Nest thermostat. The thermostat knows when I'm away and sets the temperature accordingly. If I know when I am going to return, I can start the A/C or heat on in my home such that by the time I get back, the house is at the preferred temperature. But what if my Tesla could do that for me? If I set the navigation to "Home", a really cool feature would be if the Tesla could trigger my Nest at the appropriate time (based on ETA) such that my house was at the desired temperature when the Tesla estimates I would return.

Yes, I know that this would require the use of a 3rd party app on the Tesla, but would think this would be a pretty easy integration.

I would like to see my Tesla be able to smart precondition my home.

I utilize a Nest thermostat. The thermostat knows when I'm away and sets the temperature accordingly. If I know when I am going to return, I can start the A/C or heat on in my home such that by the time I get back, the house is at the preferred temperature. But what if my Tesla could do that for me? If I set the navigation to "Home", a really cool feature would be if the Tesla could trigger my Nest at the appropriate time (based on ETA) such that my house was at the desired temperature when the Tesla estimates I would return.

Yes, I know that this would require the use of a 3rd party app on the Tesla, but would think this would be a pretty easy integration.

That will be a great option, for now, you can look for IFFF integration perhaps!!

How about images from the B pillar or front quarter panel cameras appearing in the instrument cluster displays when the right/left turn signals is activated. I saw this functionality in a new Honda Ridgeline and I've heard that other car brands do the same thing. The images could be ported to the main display similar to the backup camera if the instrument cluster displays aren't able to display the required resolution.